Thread: Color variation in BSA etching?

Color variation in BSA etching?

First time I have had a rifle with etching and mine picture first is a rust brown. I was told the originals were gold? In looking at the Gallery I see gold in a early Standard below and I see what looks to be white in a super preserved Light. My rifle is first pic. the others are as discussed from the Gallery. Were they all gold? Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/pTll0ox

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    First time I have had a rifle with etching and mine picture first is a rust brown. I was told the originals were gold? In looking at the Gallery I see gold in a early Standard below and I see what looks to be white in a super preserved Light. My rifle is first pic. the others are as discussed from the Gallery. Were they all gold? Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/pTll0ox
    I've always thought the etching started off white as in 'in the white' because the etching was basically bare metal, contrasting with the surrounding blueing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I've always thought the etching started off white as in 'in the white' because the etching was basically bare metal, contrasting with the surrounding blueing.
    This would make perfect sense and as the gun ages in the white it can rust if not completely protected for all those years. Rust could be interpreted as gold? I know if I look at mine I see it as rust? Beautifully placed rust but rusted white steel unprotected by bluing? I know my immediate thought was will the rust spread into the bluing and obscure the lettering. But I guess 100 years kind of stands the test of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That's my take on it too. White originally, which wears down to a gold/brown over time.

...Unless someone knows for certain this was not the case.

John

white/silver clean metal as far as i know,i have a standard with whitish turning to "gold/rust",just the passage of time.same as the cadets and airsporters except older and more likely to have changed from bright to rust,i hate saying rust,sounds too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    white/silver clean metal as far as i know,i have a standard with whitish turning to "gold/rust",just the passage of time.same as the cadets and airsporters except older and more likely to have changed from bright to rust,i hate saying rust,sounds too harsh.
    I hear you something so awesome is just rust! Normally I would just want it off there. Cleaned all the rustiness off the bluing, most never left a mark. Want to take my stainless steel pad and clean off the lettering but you just can’t do that!
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-07-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Hi,

On a similar topic, I saw somewhere where someone had made some etching masks/stencils for reapplying the etching on some of these older BSA's. Does anyone know if it is possible to get it done or if you can get the masks?

Cheers, Pajj.

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    Hi,

On a similar topic, I saw somewhere where someone had made some etching masks/stencils for reapplying the etching on some of these older BSA's. Does anyone know if it is possible to get it done or if you can get the masks?

Cheers, Pajj.
    I posted this in April:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....any/#post-5150
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you Garvin

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I hear you something so awesome is just rust! Normally I would just want it off there. Cleaned all the rustiness off the bluing, most never left a mark. Want to take my stainless steel pad and clean off the lettering but you just can’t do that!
    just a coat of oil or wax can preserve what you have but the same process you use on your rifles bluing would surely apply to the etched area,the only thing that could happen is that you remove rust,there's that word again,from what should be bright metal.if you think that your method of cleaning blued steel is okay then it should apply to white steel.on balance i think it's better to maintain what you have,few of these rifles still have etching at all.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    just a coat of oil or wax can preserve what you have but the same process you use on your rifles bluing would surely apply to the etched area,the only thing that could happen is that you remove rust,there's that word again,from what should be bright metal.if you think that your method of cleaning blued steel is okay then it should apply to white steel.on balance i think it's better to maintain what you have,few of these rifles still have etching at all.
    I agree

Thumbs up

Although not too early, My mk1 Airsporter's etching is silver 👍

There was a lad on here years ago that was experimanting with creating a similar thing on a machine, Can't remember if it wasn't some kind of transfer or not, I looked for his posts but couldn't for the life of me rember his username

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Although not too early, My mk1 Airsporter's etching is silver 👍

There was a lad on here years ago that was experimanting with creating a similar thing on a machine, Can't remember if it wasn't some kind of transfer or not, I looked for his posts but couldn't for the life of me rember his username

John
    John I think you mean David.

I posted a link to a post which contains a link to pics of his efforts here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....16#post7906116

Vintage Airguns Gallery