Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is parallax ajustment really important?

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Maximum POI shift in any direction

O x (P-R) / 2P

Where:

O = Objective lens radius

P = Parallax focus range

R = Target range

Therefore, a 40mm objective focused at 35 yards will give a maximum POI shift at 15 yards of

20 x (35-15) / 70

Or 5.71mm.

You'd only get that sort of shift if you deliberately tried to look through the scope as far from its axis as possible; in practice, shift will be nearer a quarter, or ~1.4mm.

No big deal.
    Thanks for that Jim.

I can only use non AO scope,ive tried AO scope and i just cant get grips with them.what i do is zero at 30 yards then shorter or longer i just use my own judgement

I hunt with a .243 and Leupold VX-3i scope with parallax fixed at 150 yards.

Aside from slight blurring at distances below 150 yards, parallax is irrelevant at any range if I maintain consistent rifle mounting, level and hold discipline.

I appreciate the context is different to the scenario you present, however, the principle should remain consistent.

I use a 3-9x40 set on 9x as long as you look through the centre of the scope its fine, single hole shots at 37yd. There is no parrelax on this scope just the eye piece focus.
    mk2 rapid.22

I can't (that's can't not cant) see lack of parallax adjustment being an overwhelming issue here. If the eye relief is set ok it should easily be possible to get a repeatable hold/eye position. Zero at preferred range, get used to the trajectory characteristic, if varying range, and away you go. I think we are all prone (myself included) to over inflate the importance of the "nice to have" but "not wholly necessary" gizmos which are put there to tempt us. Don't know how WWI snipers managed.

Born Again is online now Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I seem to remember some people used to fit a scope lens cover with a hole cut in the middle in order to give a greater depth of field for HFT shooting. That's always an option for well lit target shooting.