Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tonight I did some maintenance on the Dan. I wanted to knock out the roll pins and clean the pump tube which I was reluctant to do in case I damaged the parkerized finish.

I'm glad I got round to it because there was a lot of gunk at both ends of the tube and especially around the pivot plug. There was also some sucked in foreign objects which looked like paper towel and some type of organic material.

Ped supplied the new pump cup, bolt spring, bolt oring and brass mod adaptor. I had a couple of solid pins from America which I got before I knew they were available here. Now I can strip it down for cleaning without needing a hammer.

some gunk in that i imagine the valve will be full of it as well

It feels more powerful now but I havent chronographed. It holds air fine so I may leave opening up the valve for another day and focus on getting the As392 to hold air.

if it isn't broke don't try to fix it is a good view point on them

Wise words Ped.

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    if it isn't broke don't try to fix it is a good view point on them

I eventually found a nice quality used pistol scope in the sales section for my scout set up.
    It's a nice Japanese made Weaver 1.5-4 x 20 and well cared for by the last owner.

The original Sheridan barrel mount is surprisingly sturdy and I havent had any issues with these or the Benjamin 4 piece mounts moving or causing barrel separation. I have ordered a Mac1 airguns mount which supposedly clamps to the barrel without making contact with the cylinder.

Another recent addition is a really compact Huggett Atom Belitta which is the smallest in the range at 89mm and weighs just 70g. Sure my other mods Sak, HW and Logun are quieter, but the Atom reduces the snap at the muzzle without adding too much length.

Nice set-up ratbuster.
    I've used the Sheridan Intermount on one of my Sheridan F's for over 20 years with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I eventually found a nice quality used pistol scope in the sales section for my scout set up.
    It's a nice Japanese made Weaver 1.5-4 x 20 and well cared for by the last owner.

The original Sheridan barrel mount is surprisingly sturdy and I havent had any issues with these or the Benjamin 4 piece mounts moving or causing barrel separation. I have ordered a Mac1 airguns mount which supposedly clamps to the barrel without making contact with the cylinder.

Another recent addition is a really compact Huggett Atom Belitta which is the smallest in the range at 89mm and weighs just 70g. Sure my other mods Sak, HW and Logun are quieter, but the Atom reduces the snap at the muzzle without adding too much length.

Looks cool, ratbuster2240
    I have seen three Sheridan/Benjamin pumpers with barrel separation over the last six months or so.
    All had been used with the Intermount lol.
    It isn't a problem on a Model F when not overtightened.
    However when the scope is held during pumping, which is often the case, then even without overtightening, the barrel can come loose.
    Two had barrel and breech separation.
    The last one was a nice looking Silver Streak from the first owner's grandson, complete with the manual, for 150 euros.
    It was scoped. I should have known....
    At home it turned out to be very low on power. Plus I felt a whiff of air on my hand during the shot.
    A crack on both sides of the breech.
    Had to separate it completely, plus the first half of the barrel, to repair it.
    Now shooting good, 200 m/s on 8 pumps (thanks to Loctite 380; works much better for me than JB Weld).