Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I eventually found a nice quality used pistol scope in the sales section for my scout set up.
    It's a nice Japanese made Weaver 1.5-4 x 20 and well cared for by the last owner.

The original Sheridan barrel mount is surprisingly sturdy and I havent had any issues with these or the Benjamin 4 piece mounts moving or causing barrel separation. I have ordered a Mac1 airguns mount which supposedly clamps to the barrel without making contact with the cylinder.

Another recent addition is a really compact Huggett Atom Belitta which is the smallest in the range at 89mm and weighs just 70g. Sure my other mods Sak, HW and Logun are quieter, but the Atom reduces the snap at the muzzle without adding too much length.

Nice set-up ratbuster.
    I've used the Sheridan Intermount on one of my Sheridan F's for over 20 years with no issues.

AllanM, it's nice to hear from an actual owner having tested it for that long. There's plenty of hearsay on forums with things like barrel separation. I would say the number one cause is over pumping which could lead to the tube and barrel to bend. Then incorrect pumping technique exerting pressure at both ends.
    Finally the original friction mounted rear sight and optics would have the least effect.

From what I have read I wouldn't have thought that the two designers of the Sheridan's would have allowed an inferior product anywhere near their airguns.

Owning the Sheridan F must be a nice break from all that pumping. I Don't see many of those, especially in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    Nice set-up ratbuster.
    I've used the Sheridan Intermount on one of my Sheridan F's for over 20 years with no issues.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 29-11-2020 at 10:57 AM.

i've got ths same mounts on a few of my streaks but not had issues but i can see where they might be caused,and that is hamfisted installers tightening too tight so they hold oversize scopes
    the nature of them and the later rear sight with the wedges is to consantly apply seperation forces and over time ones with weak or badly soldered joints will fail

As you say, you don't see many Model F's in the UK and they are starting to fetch high prices in the states -- they are my favourite CO2 rifle although I would dearly like to get my hands on a Howa 55G.
    I am not a fan of scopes on pumpers but, if you feel the need, the only way to go (IMO) is the long eye relief scout type like your nice little Weaver -- better still, forget the scope and use a Williams peep sight!

Thanks AllanM

I have seen the Howa and it looks like a full bore rifle. Great quality

I agree with you on not scoping them, nice and lightweight and easier to pump without an optic. I have a Williams peep sight on it, I had to file down the screws as they were touching the bolt I may transfer the peep to the Sheridan. Although crude, the original sights work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    As you say, you don't see many Model F's in the UK and they are starting to fetch high prices in the states -- they are my favourite CO2 rifle although I would dearly like to get my hands on a Howa 55G.
    I am not a fan of scopes on pumpers but, if you feel the need, the only way to go (IMO) is the long eye relief scout type like your nice little Weaver -- better still, forget the scope and use a Williams peep sight!

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Thanks AllanM

I have seen the Howa and it looks like a full bore rifle. Great quality

I agree with you on not scoping them, nice and lightweight and easier to pump without an optic. I have a Williams peep sight on it, I had to file down the screws as they were touching the bolt I may transfer the peep to the Sheridan. Although crude, the original sights work just fine.
    Googled and seen some pics, a bit of stunner
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I eventually found a nice quality used pistol scope in the sales section for my scout set up.
    It's a nice Japanese made Weaver 1.5-4 x 20 and well cared for by the last owner.

The original Sheridan barrel mount is surprisingly sturdy and I havent had any issues with these or the Benjamin 4 piece mounts moving or causing barrel separation. I have ordered a Mac1 airguns mount which supposedly clamps to the barrel without making contact with the cylinder.

Another recent addition is a really compact Huggett Atom Belitta which is the smallest in the range at 89mm and weighs just 70g. Sure my other mods Sak, HW and Logun are quieter, but the Atom reduces the snap at the muzzle without adding too much length.

Looks cool, ratbuster2240
    I have seen three Sheridan/Benjamin pumpers with barrel separation over the last six months or so.
    All had been used with the Intermount lol.
    It isn't a problem on a Model F when not overtightened.
    However when the scope is held during pumping, which is often the case, then even without overtightening, the barrel can come loose.
    Two had barrel and breech separation.
    The last one was a nice looking Silver Streak from the first owner's grandson, complete with the manual, for 150 euros.
    It was scoped. I should have known....
    At home it turned out to be very low on power. Plus I felt a whiff of air on my hand during the shot.
    A crack on both sides of the breech.
    Had to separate it completely, plus the first half of the barrel, to repair it.
    Now shooting good, 200 m/s on 8 pumps (thanks to Loctite 380; works much better for me than JB Weld).

Thanks for sharing your experience Louis. It looks like pumping whilst holding on to the scope now goes to the top of the list of likely causes.

I have just fitted a nicely made Ped moderator adaptor which is a lovely snug fit. The rifle came with a female adaptor which I have now passed on to another member. The only issue is I will have to get a slim Parker Hale sized mod as the others block out the foresight.

With not a lot else to do at the moment, I've spent some more time on the lockdown 397P.

I've now got a good supply of the famous MAC1 airguns Secret Sauce and it does seem to help the piston glide nicely. I made up some small needle oil droppers with about 10ml in. Time will tell if it's any better than Pellgun oil or even 30w non-detergent motor oil.

The adjustable piston has a stainless steel head and the original rubber pump cup, but with the 397 making good power I'm now going to install this in my Sheridan C series.

Lastly the IA scope mount which clamps very securely and without risking barrel separation, unlike the original 2 and 4 piece mounts I have previouly tried. A small piece of electrical tape between the barrel and mount helps to prevent it marking the finish and slipping.

the Mac1 stuff is good and you'll notice it will build pressure up better with an adjustable piston
    the green co2 oil i do is not what is sold by Mac1 but is the same oil,i did try to get it shipped over but previously Tim had stopped shipping it to the UK

Thumbs up

great! It's good to know it can be had here. It's meant to be better at reducing valve oxidisation.