Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Louis I'm very happy with it, it feels like a new gun. I'm hoping for a new shoot through chronograph in May for my birthday. I won't be putting a silencer on this so I can't use my trusty Combro. The 397 had very little deviation in FPS, so I hope this is the same.

I have a feeling your 347 might be pre 1977 before they bought out Sheridan and started using their valves. The wood is very pretty and they got plainer as time went on also you said the Sheridan inlet carrier didn't work in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Great results and improvements.
    Your Benjamin looks great in the sun!
    Have you done a shot string?

Cheers, Louis

Ps. I still need to take my 347 out of its slip to check where and when it was made. Will do!

When I first took ownership of these classic multi pumps I thought there was very little upgradeable parts available. Thankfully there's some really talented engineers out there and I've recently received these nice stainless steel parts. The stainless steel bolt is to replace one of mine that has flaking chrome and I have very durable sizes 003 and 004 Urethane to go on my .177 and .20. The Benji 342 doesn't have one, but the metal to metal design seals just fine without any puffs of air at the breech.

Next is an ss Sheridan valve body this will replace the restricted UK version which only produces about 9 fpe. It's shooting very well at this power so I might leave it for now. I have been lucky opening up these guns and finding the valve nuts are in good condition, now I have spare if one has been damaged from using the wrong tools.

The other smaller items are a new sheridan bolt lug and socket and a pin link pin for my 342.

The good thing about the Mac1 scope mount is you can take it off the barrel with the scope still attached to the mount. This is useful for checking the accuracy. It balanced quite nicely on the little 342 but for short range at 10-20 yards I'll be sticking with the open sights. Even the Mac1 mount which is considered to be one of the better designs just doesn't feel as good as peep sights on these.

Both the C-series and and 397 now have Williams peep sights on. The latest one I got the screws didn't touch the bolt so they didn't need shortening.

Wow. Very nice. Great collection of US pumpers there. They look very clean and well looked after.
    Also nice aftermarket parts. It is always nice to have spares - it soothes the mind. I guess we want to make sure that our guns will outlive us?

I also like your wooden gun maintenance / tool box. Is it a tool box?

Now that I have satisfied most of my airgun desires (this does sound a bit wrong lol), I have a wishlist of associated items.
    Mostly nice old leather gun slips, leather scope caps, leather scope cases (the cylindrical ones) - a nice wooden tool box would fit in this list!

As Louis says, a really nice trio of classic American rifles -- open or peep sights are the only way to go on pumpers!

Thanks Allan, you are right they just don't feel right with a scope on and why bother when you can hit anything you aim at with open sights.

I saw your 317 reading through some posts. That is another beautiful stock, imagine back in the day leaving the gun shop with it and opening the box when you got home, you would be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    As Louis says, a really nice trio of classic American rifles -- open or peep sights are the only way to go on pumpers!

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Thanks Allan, you are right they just don't feel right with a scope on and why bother when you can hit anything you aim at with open sights.

I saw your 317 reading through some posts. That is another beautiful stock, imagine back in the day leaving the gun shop with it and opening the box when you got home, you would be very happy.

Good heavens, that is just amazingly beautiful.
    I believe my airgun wishlist ain't empty no mo, to stay in American spheres.

With the distinctive "tootsie roll" pump arm this is one of my favourite rifles -- short, sweet, easy to pump and a hard hitter.
    It's actually a 312 from 1960 -- these days I much prefer the larger .22 pellets, the .177 pellets are a bit too fiddly for my ageing eyesight!

Over years I've gone through lots of cheap tools, so now I have been building up good quality punches, drivers and Allen keys. I still have a lot of tools on my list to get but some were my grandfather's who was a tank engineer in WW2.

I keep them in my Gerstner & Sons Journeyman chest, which I love as much as my guns. It's handmade in Ohio since 1906, I found this one in excellent condition here in the UK.

Hunting for elusive accessories, pellet tins, literature etc. keeps you enjoying the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Wow. Very nice. Great collection of US pumpers there. They look very clean and well looked after.
    Also nice aftermarket parts. It is always nice to have spares - it soothes the mind. I guess we want to make sure that our guns will outlive us?

I also like your wooden gun maintenance / tool box. Is it a tool box?

Now that I have satisfied most of my airgun desires (this does sound a bit wrong lol), I have a wishlist of associated items.
    Mostly nice old leather gun slips, leather scope caps, leather scope cases (the cylindrical ones) - a nice wooden tool box would fit in this list!
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 01-04-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Thanks Louis I'm very happy with it, it feels like a new gun. I'm hoping for a new shoot through chronograph in May for my birthday. I won't be putting a silencer on this so I can't use my trusty Combro. The 397 had very little deviation in FPS, so I hope this is the same.

I have a feeling your 347 might be pre 1977 before they bought out Sheridan and started using their valves. The wood is very pretty and they got plainer as time went on also you said the Sheridan inlet carrier didn't work in yours.
    You are right!
    Just looked it up.
    Made in St Louis.
    SN 210254.
    According to the John Groenewoldt's info, my 347 was made in 1974.
    https://www.jgairguns.biz/benjamin-dates-ezp-57.html