Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

This weekends reading from the late 70's, it's packed full of articles on Benjamin's Crosman's and Sheridan's.

I have all three of the Air Gun Digest books and they are a great read (although dated) if you're interested in American airguns.

I would love to have had a play with the LARC M19-A SMG reviewed in the Robert Beeman edition -- all for $33!

i have a work around for an o ring seal on the 2200
    i machine .068" off the barrel and trap an o ring in between the barrel and the barrel housing
    image uploaded

thats for either my 760xl converted to co2 or my 761Whaley xl that i made to work like it should and not work like an ACP they intended it to

They are very informative AllanM, all from simpler times.

I will look out for the other two editions, do you know which one this is? I think I saw 1977, so might be the first?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    I have all three of the Air Gun Digest books and they are a great read (although dated) if you're interested in American airguns.

I would love to have had a play with the LARC M19-A SMG reviewed in the Robert Beeman edition -- all for $33!

That looks like a much better way to seal the breech!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I think the ACP concept it just flawed.. the residual pressure will inevitably creep over the shots, in either direction... only way it would work is with a reasonable sized valve volume/pressure chamber say 50cc, and a balanced knock open valve that gives a fairly consistent velocity accross the renage of pressures likely to be encountered (like a PCP sweet sopt), but more like 80-120 BAR.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It is flawed Jon, I'm surprised how accurate the 766 has been considering the design. I've heard people say the accuracy is poor with these rifles because the barrel can be wobbly, but probably more likely the breech at fault.
    The 1377/backpacker is a better design.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I think the ACP concept it just flawed.. the residual pressure will inevitably creep over the shots, in either direction... only way it would work is with a reasonable sized valve volume/pressure chamber say 50cc, and a balanced knock open valve that gives a fairly consistent velocity accross the renage of pressures likely to be encountered (like a PCP sweet sopt), but more like 80-120 BAR.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    They are very informative AllanM, all from simpler times.

I will look out for the other two editions, do you know which one this is? I think I saw 1977, so might be the first?
    As you say, the first edition was published in 1977.

There was a long gap before the other two books came out. Both were edited by Jess Galan and were published in 1988 and 1995.

Thanks for that AllanM I enjoy reading about guns through those decades.

I've been playing with a late 80's/early 90's Hw45 I've never owned one but wanted one for many years. I prefer the HW45 without the white lettering and fibre optic sights but they haven't changed much in 35 years.

This one is in .22 and I've fitted a Weihrauch shoulder stock, which feels nice and solid. Unfortunately I don't have the extended foresight so I'll have to mount an optic until I find one or make one. I have a Weaver 1-4×20 pistol scope, which is well made but it takes some getting used to. To mount this I have ordered double strap Sportsmatch 13mm mounts, I'm hoping they won't creep.

I've cleaned the barrel, lightly greased the cocking arms and replaced the damaged rubber breech seal with more durable urethane.

Does anyone have any tips or mods for the HW45? I might need some longer grip screws as the originals don't have many threads left once the stock is fitted. I'm sure I saw somewhere some brass bushes for the walnut grips to prevent the holes being bored through.

It makes a great pistol carbine but I think the EB20 carbine beats it with having slightly more power and better accuracy. The HW45 2 stage trigger is excellent but even with the stock fitted I will have to work hard to achieve a good group.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    fit an Ausie piston seal to the 45 for a smoother shooting gun
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks ST I'll have a look at them. I see most people like running them around 5 ft-lbs or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    fit an Ausie piston seal to the 45 for a smoother shooting gun

A new addition to my Benjamin collection is a 312. (.22) made in 1966 it's in good condition and still retains most of it's black and plated finish.

All I've done is add a Sheridan handguard to stop the finish wearing down to brass and cleaned and lubricated the pivot points.

Wow! What a beauty. Great find.
    Such an elegant rifle. I like the look of the tootsie roll.
    If I'm not mistaken, they are quite powerful for their size and weight?

Great find ratbuster!
    Like Louis I love the tootsie roll -- my 312 is my favourite "pumper", nice short carbine length, easy to pump, great open sights and a hard hitter.