Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Thumbs up

Yes they are very neat I'll message you.

Ped,
    Does this style of barrel adapter work on the Sheridan Bluestreak? ls it basically held by a push on fit with a grubscrew?

Quote Originally Posted by gk10 View Post
    Ped,
    Does this style of barrel adapter work on the Sheridan Bluestreak? ls it basically held by a push on fit with a grubscrew?
    Yes he does them for blue streaks too and held on with a grub screw. He's helped me out several times after buying junk that doesn't fit.

The Benji has had a few more tweaks as it still wasn't dumping all the air. I played around with the valve and hammer springs, mounted the red dot further forward to allow easier pumping and fitted one of Peds silencer adaptors. Next I will see what power it's making and accuracy test. I've enjoyed this one but I may well sell it in the future to fund something else. I've now got a new project of sorting out a very rough Sharp Innova.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 07-08-2020 at 09:57 PM.

chronograph

I had a chance to see what power the Benji was making after a service. I was concerned it may have gone over power with this type not having a blow off valve. Thankfully the power didn't exceed 10.5 ft-lbs on a maximum 8 pumps and being .177 it would be harder to exceed 12 ft-lbs. I won't bother testing it with 4 pumps which is what I'll use in a back garden and at the local club. Before playing with a selection of hammer spring weights and lengths, it wasn't dumping all the air. There wasn't much point in testing the efficiency until it was sorted with the follow up shots being far too inconsistent.

Combro mk4, AA Diablo Field 8.4gr

FPE FPS
    1 10.37 745
    2 10.23 740
    3 10.24 741
    4 10.37 745
    5 10.32 744

I hope you enjoyed my project the next one I have almost finished , this Sharp Innova thanks for looking

Last edited by ratbuster2240; 15-08-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Pic

An early .22 mk1 Sharp Innova possibly over 40 years old. With a plastic breech. It doesn't feel as solid as the Benjamin's and Sheridan's but it really is so light, pointable and powerful which must have been refreshing to see in the late 70s.

There was quite a few things wrong with this Innova, a cheap buy lured me in but of course I ended up spending a lot more than I wanted on fixing it. Still, it's an enjoyable hobby.

The rifle was really dirty but underneath was a decent rifle. There was a lot of congealed grease inside the pump tube which would be lowering the power, if its lubed properly with 30wt non detergent motor oil, it would very hard for this dirt to build up in the first place.

The stocks are apprently Japanese walnut and they are quite soft, this one had crack in the stock, possiblly from bad pumping technique as it's not advisable to grasp the grip and stressing the stock.

A trip to a knowledgeable friend and a restorer of antique flint lock guns, had this remedied and it now feels very solid.

The woodwork was very dried out which wouldn't help cracking, so it was well nourished with walnut oil.

It had the common missing pivot pin and e clip bodge up where they've shoved a bolt through.
    It worked but it was replaced with a correct solid pin and allen head screws to secure it.

I was surprised to find that theres quite few more seals than the Benji and these badly deteriorated ones were replaced with Peds upgrade kit and included was a poly inlet seal and even a new inlet valve ball bearing.

The front end plug has seen better days but it works and the breach is in good condition, no cracks but the usual scope ring marks on the dovetail. I have fitted a Simmons pro diamond 1.5-5x20 similar to the white tail classic and is light and compact like the rifle.

Last edited by ratbuster2240; 15-08-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Pic

I put a few shots through the 397 today at 10m and it's accurate enough with two pellets going through the same hole. I'm still not sure if the cheap red dot is going to hold zero with all the pumping and it might be a good excuse to get a long eye relief scope. With the handy folding target holder and layers of carpet behind the plinking is very quiet.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 16-08-2020 at 04:05 PM.

looks well James and they are much easier to use if you put a pistol scope on in the scout position

Hi Ped I hope you are well and the fishing has been good. I'll have to get a pistol scope next then, the scout set set up really helps with pumping.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 16-08-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Picked up this old classic that needs a re-seal. It has some surface rust on the tube and missing safety spring and ball.

It's an older one with the barrel spacer, metal trigger plate and brass valve.

Just done a few inexpensive tweaks using some spares lying around.

Upgrade seals to 90d
    Unrestricted poly transfer port
    Polished hammer
    Hammer spring guide
    Lighten trigger pull
    .22 spent case trigger spring guide
    Crosshead breech screw
    Barrel problox
    Cheapo 4x20 scope
    1399 stock
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 16-09-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Good old JSR sent out the optic, stock and pellgun oil in no time at all.

I gave the 1377 a quick zero and I'm always amazed at the accuracy of these budget guns. Cheap airgunning!

they're good guns yours has the early 1377 brass valve and stem along with the high pressure check valve

That's a really neat looking little plinker -- what range did you zero it in at?

Ped -- don't you have one of these in a really nice green?

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    they're good guns yours has the early 1377 brass valve and stem along with the high pressure check valve
    I'm pleased its brass I did have one that had the aluminium valve and it corroded badly. I I didn't know about high pressure check valves. I could improve it further but as you already know where do you stop with these!

It really is fun, takes me back to my youth shooting fallen apples in the garden. I was always frustrated as the scope would wobble about on the barrel.

The range was approximately 10 meters if I shoot from inisde the house I can get 15-20m

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    That's a really neat looking little plinker -- what range did you zero it in at?

Ped -- don't you have one of these in a really nice green?