Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

i have a 3 or 4 1389's Allan inc the green pistol grips to go with them -i need to put a 2289g together at some point
    i think i have a few new green stock and backpacker fore arms and some black ones
    the high pressure valves i'm not a fan off as they wear the gun out faster than the low pressure set up
    power wise i can get as much power from the lp higher volume valve as the hp low volume one ,and the hp valve runs out of steam about 12fpe so in the US the low pressure high volume setup is used more but at the cost of more pumps

I see, I thought the check valve looked longer.

it's the old one and was replaced with a short one to make pumping easier for young uns

After pumping the 397 this feels like a breeze.

Thank you very much ratbuster2240 for this great thread. I read about your Benji restoration a while ago but it was nice to see all the updates, also with the Innova and the Crosman.
    Ped is great for seal kits, repair guidance, parts and much more!
    I see that you enjoy your tinkering. Nothing beats it for me. I always long for the next project.
    I've never had a Crosman 13xx but I think that will be the next one on the list.
    This was a few months ago when I still lived in England. Those were happy days, endless shooting in the garden.
    The Benjamin is a beauty but I must say that the Innova shoots better.

Louis that's a stunning stock on your Benjamin 342. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing some old airguns being rejuvenated, isn't it fun. I agree the Innova is smooth shooting without a striker rattling down the tube. I would like to try an Ace, it looks well built. I hope you can continue your hobby where you are now, I have always loved airguns but it's becoming a bit obsessive. However it's still much cheaper than some other hobbies like clay shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Louis that's a stunning stock on your Benjamin 342. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing some old airguns being rejuvenated, isn't it fun. I agree the Innova is smooth shooting without a striker rattling down the tube. I would like to try an Ace, it looks well built. I hope you can continue your hobby where you are now, I have always loved airguns but it's becoming a bit obsessive. However it's still much cheaper than some other hobbies like clay shooting.
    Thank you. Yes the stock is great. The Americans managed to put really nice wood on these relatively cheap guns. Perhaps they were allowed to chop lots of nice old walnut trees lol. Yes the airgunning hobby can become an obsession. It certainly is in my case. Sometimes I need to take a step back to enjoy what I already have. But I am always hungry for project guns. I am trying to learn to restore without taking away the character of a gun. I used to strip old stocks, but now I try to only sand down the bad parts and use CCL oil or Tru oil for some new protection and shininess.
    Anyway, enjoy your guns!

It nice seeing old dried out wood soak up oil for nourishment. I read the stocks may have got more plain as the years went on and they had used up the good stuff first.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Thank you. Yes the stock is great. The Americans managed to put really nice wood on these relatively cheap guns. Perhaps they were allowed to chop lots of nice old walnut trees lol. Yes the airgunning hobby can become an obsession. It certainly is in my case. Sometimes I need to take a step back to enjoy what I already have. But I am always hungry for project guns. I am trying to learn to restore without taking away the character of a gun. I used to strip old stocks, but now I try to only sand down the bad parts and use CCL oil or Tru oil for some new protection and shininess.
    Anyway, enjoy your guns!

I'm really pleased with this metal wire stock for the Benjamin and Sheridan pistols. It's new old stock genuine item and fits perfectly. No movement or plastic like the crosman 1399 custom stock.

Silencer adaptor and Benjamin B272 mounts fitted

you don't see many of those eb stocks in the UK
    there was a lot of new/old stock ones on the bay a few years back in the US but shipping was a bit pricey i thought

I remember them for a short period in the old airgun magazine adverts. I ordered some parts from the US and combined the shipping.

The parcel included a new plastic sheridan hand guard. Which makes the pumping a bit easier on your hand stops the finish wearing off.

Another nice sunny day for a few shots on my now favourite carbine. The trigger pull is still very clunky and heavy and unlike the 13xx and 22xx there's not a lot you can do about it. I was having so much fun I forgot to chronograph it.

I recently collected this Benjamin AS392 with an empty 88 gram canister still attached. I didn't bother trying it with a fresh 88gram as I wanted to use the more economical 12 gram co2 via an adaptor.

Without test firing I went straight ahead with stripping it down for a clean and new seals, everything was there except the end plug with a grommet in it's place. As the cylinder is redundant it didn't matter other than looking unfinished and luckily I had held on to a spare. The valve and adaptor screw was chewed up, so I replaced it with one from Chambers.

The hammer strike on dry firing felt very weak, there wasn't any old grease slowing it down but It had improved with polishing the striker and stretching the main spring.

I got all the parts clean with Isopropyl and fitted new seals with silicon grease.

Once again Ped helped me out with an obsolete seal and supplied the ones prone to damage in Polyurethane. There were 12 seals in all including the one on the valve stem and adaptor.

I used the best fittings co2 adaptor as this has an updated design using an oring around the bulb nose instead of the sealing face. I never had much luck with the original type but this may have been due to the poor quality supplied seals.These adaptors can be bought cheaper on from China but best fitting's have alway's been a good company to deal with.

I've mounted a bugbuster 3-9x32 ready for testing the accuracy at short range. It's a good solid rifle thats much more sturdy than the Ratcatcher and just as easy to work on.

the Buccaneer is one of the best co2 rifles in the the crosman benjamin stable
    on mine i always alter the trigger so i can decock them along with bonding the pins into one side of the trigger unit
    i also fit an adjuster so i can take up trigger slag and weaken the sear spring
    i'm just in the process of making a regulated air tank for one