Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Great idea, I like being able to de-cock. I think Crosman changed it for safety/liability. With the older stuff you can. I haven't found the trigger to be too bad, the double sear for dual power is a good idea.
    I'd like to see one with a regulated bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    the Buccaneer is one of the best co2 rifles in the the crosman benjamin stable
    on mine i always alter the trigger so i can decock them along with bonding the pins into one side of the trigger unit
    i also fit an adjuster so i can take up trigger slag and weaken the sear spring
    i'm just in the process of making a regulated air tank for one

I spent some time trying to improve the bad EB20 trigger by smoothing out rough spots, greasing, shimming and adding a trigger shoe. The trigger shoe is a really nice addition, which I got about 10 years ago from SD custom designs, Steve Darrel? The trigger is still bad but feels nicer to shoot.
    I shot it over the chrono it was quite cold this morning but still produced 5fpe. I'll add a hammer spring guide and check the power. The .22 version must sit very close to the limit.

you can weaken the sear spring ot replace the torsion spring wit a compression spring like the crosman

you can weaken the sear spring ot replace the torsion spring wit a compression spring like the crosman
    Thanks Ped, is the torsion to coil spring an easy swap?

you need to drill and tap the frame down from the top so a seat can be screwed into the frame to take the spring
    it's not hard to do

Thumbs up

Yes I see what you mean.

I've just received a lovely Sheridan Bluestreak. Its shooting well so I don't think I'll need to do much and it has all of it's original finish still on. I've removed the bolt, cleaned and regreased to adjust the cam. While apart I gently cleaned the barrel. Its holding air and dumps all of it with 10 pumps.

I think it's a late 80s model...
    2 rivets securing the trigger guard
    Drilled and tapped for William's peep
    1 Piece bolt handle
    Serial 5k+

about 87-88ish and looks in nice nick
    i think i'd give it a quick test by the sounds though as with mine i get two shots on 10 pumps (they have adjustable pistons in and my internal spring adjusters and springs)

Amazing Ped, that's great to know they are adjustable, thanks for dating it and nice figures you got!

about 87-88ish and looks in nice nick
    i think i'd give it a quick test by the sounds though as with mine i get two shots on 10 pumps (they have adjustable pistons in and my internal spring adjusters and springs)

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Amazing Ped, that's great to know they are adjustable, thanks for dating it and nice figures you got!
    Hi ratbuster2240, very nice Blue Streak! Congratulations.

They don't have an adjustable piston, that's an upgrade by Ped.

I have a small business in resealing Sheridans and Benjamins here in the Netherlands (more of a hobby tbh lol) and I usually get about 600 ft/s on 8 pumps, using 13.73 gr JSB's.

Bought this Silver Streak cheap a few weeks ago. The fact that it was scoped should have set the alarm bells off: there is not only a bit of barrel separation, but also a bit of breech separation. Tried an easy repair with Loctite 380 and JB Weld on the seams, but they couldn't stand the blasts of air escaping from the tp.
    So I had to separate the breech entirely. Roughen the surfaces up, degrease, degrease, degrease. Now Loctite 380 again, but on the mating surfaces instead of just the seams.
    Did this with a Blue Streak before and it worked great. Fingers crossed... It's a pity that there is no way to use a scope on these without damaging the gun.

Excellent work Louis on dealing with barrel separation you've saved a beautiful silverstreak from the scrap heap. I'll stay clear of mounting optics then, it's a shame because you can really see how accurate they are with a scope. Barrel mounts just don't ever seem to clamp well enough and you end up overtightening. They were never meant to be scoped and they just throw up other issues like where to grasp when pumping. May be bad pumping technique because of the scope in the way leads to barrel separation too.

At least I someone can fix this issue if it does happen.

I don't seem to hear of the old Benjamin's suffering as bad?

I have a new William's 5d-sh but the screws are too long so will have to file them down.

I thought the very early streaks had adjustable pistons?
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 15-10-2020 at 10:18 AM.

the early ones did along with a stronger lever my 64 came with an adj piston but my 67 was a fixed one till i made it adjustable (fps readings are for the 67 one but my 64 is near enough the same )
    they can be scoped easily by using a Mac1 style mount but i have some brass rails made to solder onto the barrel that one day i'll fit so pistol scopes can be used in the scout position

Well done Ped you seem to sort out all the flaws.

I might give the Mac1 mount a try.

the early ones did along with a stronger lever my 64 came with an adj piston but my 67 was a fixed one till i made it adjustable (fps readings are for the 67 one but my 64 is near enough the same )
    they can be scoped easily by using a Mac1 style mount but i have some brass rails made to solder onto the barrel that one day i'll fit so pistol scopes can be used in the scout position

not really flaws more going back to the stronger earlier design which was replaced with more cost effective part design
    the Mac1 steroids use the earlier beefier part idea coupled with newer type valve stem and inlet and a stronger pivot plug

Hi Ped I have heard about the Mac1 mount but I can't find the one for our pre 88 Streaks?
    The one he sells now is only for the later models with thicker barrel.
    Perhaps this mounts caused barrel separation in the earlier guns too?
    I am breaking my head on how to scope my Silver Streak lol.