Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

the thinner barrel diameter is the benjamin model 317 and early 347 Louis,all the ,20 and .22 have the same od barrel
    the baker mount was originally the ballistic enterprises mount ,Greg Lundy i think made them when i got one for a later c9a
    i made a two piece one for my gs397 which has the same breech as a c9

Aha, thanks for clarifying that Ped.
    The mount base you made looks nice.
    It's soldered on?
    I could try to secure the intermount with Loctite 380, but I think that would be a nasty thing to do. Might work though.

no it clamps on like the Baker/BE1 mount

Nice Ped, I'm sure if you made a few to sell people would want them!

I finally got round to fitting the William's peep sight to the 397.
    As these rifles were made for many decades there are some slight variations over the years and fitment seems to be a bit hit and miss. On this 397 the peep sight attachment screws needed shortening but I didn't want to damage the fine threads filing them down. I found using a flat tool sharpening stone did the job well.

Tonight I did some maintenance on the Dan. I wanted to knock out the roll pins and clean the pump tube which I was reluctant to do in case I damaged the parkerized finish.

I'm glad I got round to it because there was a lot of gunk at both ends of the tube and especially around the pivot plug. There was also some sucked in foreign objects which looked like paper towel and some type of organic material.

Ped supplied the new pump cup, bolt spring, bolt oring and brass mod adaptor. I had a couple of solid pins from America which I got before I knew they were available here. Now I can strip it down for cleaning without needing a hammer.

some gunk in that i imagine the valve will be full of it as well

It feels more powerful now but I havent chronographed. It holds air fine so I may leave opening up the valve for another day and focus on getting the As392 to hold air.

if it isn't broke don't try to fix it is a good view point on them

Wise words Ped.

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    if it isn't broke don't try to fix it is a good view point on them

I eventually found a nice quality used pistol scope in the sales section for my scout set up.
    It's a nice Japanese made Weaver 1.5-4 x 20 and well cared for by the last owner.

The original Sheridan barrel mount is surprisingly sturdy and I havent had any issues with these or the Benjamin 4 piece mounts moving or causing barrel separation. I have ordered a Mac1 airguns mount which supposedly clamps to the barrel without making contact with the cylinder.

Another recent addition is a really compact Huggett Atom Belitta which is the smallest in the range at 89mm and weighs just 70g. Sure my other mods Sak, HW and Logun are quieter, but the Atom reduces the snap at the muzzle without adding too much length.

Nice set-up ratbuster.
    I've used the Sheridan Intermount on one of my Sheridan F's for over 20 years with no issues.

AllanM, it's nice to hear from an actual owner having tested it for that long. There's plenty of hearsay on forums with things like barrel separation. I would say the number one cause is over pumping which could lead to the tube and barrel to bend. Then incorrect pumping technique exerting pressure at both ends.
    Finally the original friction mounted rear sight and optics would have the least effect.

From what I have read I wouldn't have thought that the two designers of the Sheridan's would have allowed an inferior product anywhere near their airguns.

Owning the Sheridan F must be a nice break from all that pumping. I Don't see many of those, especially in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    Nice set-up ratbuster.
    I've used the Sheridan Intermount on one of my Sheridan F's for over 20 years with no issues.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 29-11-2020 at 10:57 AM.

i've got ths same mounts on a few of my streaks but not had issues but i can see where they might be caused,and that is hamfisted installers tightening too tight so they hold oversize scopes
    the nature of them and the later rear sight with the wedges is to consantly apply seperation forces and over time ones with weak or badly soldered joints will fail