Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just in a 1920 BSA Light with 21b three position aperature sight

Just in a 1920 BSA Light with 21b three position aperature sight

One of my early acquisitions was a BSA Standard 1924. Have been looking for a Light to go along with it for 4 years. In the US these are just not a easy find. Have seen a few but nothing that seemed “right” for the money. Saw this one last week on a auction site and fell in love. It arrived today and it’s one of those that looks better in person than the pics. This is a 100 year old gun and you would never believe it. Certainly is not perfect but has just enough wear that you know it’s real and original. Love the forged metal trigger guard, the last year for them. First BSA I have ever held with the etching intact! A little faded but it’s there and probably confirms its not been touched. The bonus was the 21b aperature sight. They were not made after WW1 so someone must have bought old stock and added it? Doesn’t look like a factory mount? I’m amazed how small and intricate it is. As good of shape as the rifle. Not sure the mounting job was that well done. Slight split in wood where screw went in. Will have to look at that and repair. It looked so big in the posted pics but it really is so small you barely see it. Shoots with authority so should be fun. But this one is a bit of a treasure to me, certainly worth the wait.

Looks like the trigger pull weight is on the stock but can’t read it yet? Maybe you guys in the know can see it?

Used Renaissance Wax on the metal to preserve the etching? Any other thoughts for preserving it?

https://imgur.com/gallery/GLvXWJB
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-07-2020 at 08:04 PM.

That’s a lovely rifle, nice find!
    I’d love one of those sights....

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    One of my early acquisitions was a BSA Standard 1924. Have been looking for a Light to go along with it for 4 years. In the US these are just not a easy find. Have seen a few but nothing that seemed “right” for the money. Saw this one last week on a auction site and fell in love. It arrived today and it’s one of those that looks better in person than the pics. This is a 100 year old gun and you would never believe it. Certainly is not perfect but has just enough wear that you know it’s real and original. Love the forged metal trigger guard, the last year for them. First BSA I have ever held with the etching intact! A little faded but it’s there and probably confirms its not been touched. The bonus was the 21b aperature sight. They were not made after WW1 so someone must have bought old stock and added it? Doesn’t look like a factory mount? I’m amazed how small and intricate it is. As good of shape as the rifle. Not sure the mounting job was that well done. Slight split in wood where screw went in. Will have to look at that and repair. It looked so big in the posted pics but it really is so small you barely see it. Shoots with authority so should be fun. But this one is a bit of a treasure to me, certainly worth the wait.

Looks like the trigger pull weight is on the stock but can’t read it yet? Maybe you guys in the know can see it?

Used Renaissance Wax on the metal to preserve the etching? Any other thoughts for preserving it?

https://imgur.com/gallery/GLvXWJB
    Very nice indeed. Great score with the aperture sight, and in fab condition. I too love the cast trigger guards. EXCELLENT!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Very nice indeed. Great score with the aperture sight, and in fab condition. I too love the cast trigger guards. EXCELLENT!
    I think I read every post you wrote about these in the days before it came, learned allot. Saw that 1919 in the Gallery! You seem to be the man!

What a beautiful example of a Light Pattern. That sight mounted askew and so far back on the beak is the only flaw I can note.

That is so far removed from my 1922(?) example of the two hole L.
    Congratulations Flint, it is in the right hands.

Renaissance Wax? I use 'BeeKind' bees wax with carnuba. Bees wax stays put even with handling.
    Soft on your hands too
    Oil or grease is for the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    What a beautiful example of a Light Pattern. That sight mounted askew and so far back on the beak is the only flaw I can note.

That is so far removed from my 1922(?) example of the two hole L.
    Congratulations Flint, it is in the right hands.

Renaissance Wax? I use 'BeeKind' bees wax with carnuba. Bees wax stays put even with handling.
    Soft on your hands too
    Oil or grease is for the internals.

Yep, very cool to have that sight but I may want to add some value to this rifle by moving that aperature up. I’m pretty good with working wood, we will see. Have this feelIng the owner bought that sight and did the job at home?
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-07-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Yep, very cool to have that sight but I may want to add some value to this rifle by moving that aperature up. I’m pretty good with working wood, we will see. Have this feelIng the owner bought that sight and did the job at home?
    It is deserving of being put right Flint.
    Why someone would mount that sight so close to the beak is anybody's guess.
    Short arms or lack of forethought?

Very nice indeed.
    airgunmaniac
    Last edited by danlett; 11-07-2020 at 04:22 AM.

That is one gorgeous BSA and I'm not surprised you fell in love with it! The forged trigger guard is a lovely touch, yes. I remember reading (in Knibbs?) that a workers' strike led to shortages of the hand crafted guards, speeding adoption of the cheaper, machine-stamped guards.

It's interesting how many prewar BSAs have turned up in the US in fantastic condition, with the cylinder etching clearly visible. Maybe it's the climate? Or a 'gun culture' in which owners really knew how to look after them properly?

Or maybe in a firearms-soaked country many new owners were disappointed with spring-generated power levels and tucked them away without giving them the sort of punishing use that was common back in the UK?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I've never seen a rear peep sight surface mounted - all others have been set into the wood to some extent. You could move it forward a bit and fill in the screw holes. But the front sight seems higher than usual, so you'd have to ensure you have the necessary vertical adjustment if you do drop the sight down by a few mill... if it's comfortable to shoot maybe leave well alone?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I've never seen a rear peep sight surface mounted - all others have been set into the wood to some extent. You could move it forward a bit and fill in the screw holes. But the front sight seems higher than usual, so you'd have to ensure you have the necessary vertical adjustment if you do drop the sight down by a few mill... if it's comfortable to shoot maybe leave well alone?
    I did see that it was a high front sight but not sure that it’s not normal? Lakey’s 1919 in the Gallery looks similar? He even comments that it’s high? See below? Going out today to see where it hits with that back sight, don’t disagree if it works leave well enough alone? Did put some oil down the tap yesterday and the leather seal is rock solid and holds air pressure forever! Must not have been overshot. I really think these treasures are in great shape here because of the firearms culture. These were not taken seriously. Also collectors over here seem to want American Airguns of their youth. All the better for me, but am surprised there is not more competition over here for these types of Airguns? But this one was not cheap. Lol Trouble not many were imported so you have to find one.

Lakey’s 1919 front sight

My front sight
    Last edited by 45flint; 09-07-2020 at 05:15 PM.

I did see that it was a high front sight but not sure that it’s not normal? Lakey’s 1919 in the Gallery looks similar? He even comments that it’s high? See below? Going out today to see where it hits with that back sight, don’t disagree if it works leave well enough alone? Did put some oil down the tap yesterday and the leather seal is rock solid and holds air pressure forever! Must not have been overshot. I really think these treasures are in great shape here because of the firearms culture. These were not taken seriously. Also collectors over here seem to want American Airguns of their youth. All the better for me, but am surprised there is not more competition over here for these types of Airguns? But this one was not cheap. Lol Trouble not many were imported so you have to find one.
    As my BSA Light Pattern now sports a No 8 sight with the usual medium stem height, it means it still shoots high at 20yds with the elevation set at its lowest position. A taller foresight blade would certainly help, but as I normally prefer a Six O'clock sight picture this hasn't been a problem.

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What another great find, and in lovey condition. that etching is really good for a gun of that age not many like that about. plus the bonus of the peep sight. l am sure you are going to really enjoy shooting it.

Sight part number is the same on my rifle as the ones in the gallery -59.

Gallery

My rifle, ruffer but still reads 59

I think I read every post you wrote about these in the days before it came, learned allot. Saw that 1919 in the Gallery! You seem to be the man!
    I dont know about that. But one thing is for sure, I do have a soft spot for BSA underlevers, especially ones in great condition, such as yours. It is really good, that it has found its way into your collection. Wonderful stuff ! You certainly have a knack for hunting out wonderful guns!

ATB

Lakey