Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just in a 1920 BSA Light with 21b three position aperature sight

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    After a week these Lights are a wonderful rifle. Such a lighter feel from my standard and very accurate. Just started to add a 40 yard target to my backyard range. Hit that 2 inch plate on the second try, I could barely see it! I can see why these rifles still have a following today, just a functional grace to them and tap loading will always be my favorite. The design of the 21b allowed me to flip through the aperature sizes while aiming with a flip of the thumb for quick comparisons. Pretty unique.

The condition of the gun suggests the tap seals as well as it would have done when new?Have you chronographed its power output at the muzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    The condition of the gun suggests the tap seals as well as it would have done when new?Have you chronographed its power output at the muzzle?
    I like to Chrony with Hobby’s given they are 7 gr. and most people have these. I only had 4 left and they were graying a bit, so this morning here are the results.

I have shot it for two days now so I’m sure the excess oil is gone. My impressions are this rifle is not easy to cock. It’s not as bad as my Webley Mk3 but not as easy as my BSA Standard or Diana 58. The shorter cocking lever may be part of it. But spring seems stout. This rifle also has some recoil, it is light and I’m sure that is part of it. Still very accurate with artillery hold. Hit 2 inch metal target at 40 yards. Given the condition of the rifle this may be close to original performance but that spring is 100 years old? Be interested in others as to their FPS with these.
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-07-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I like to Chrony with Hobby’s given they are 7 gr. and most people have these. I only had 4 left and they were graying a bit, so this morning here are the results.

I have shot it for two days now so I’m sure the excess oil is gone. My impressions are this rifle is not easy to cock. It’s not as bad as my Webley Mk3 but not as easy as my BSA Standard or Diana 58. The shorter cocking lever may be part of it. But spring seems stout. This rifle also has some recoil, it is light and I’m sure that is part of it. Still very accurate with artillery hold. Hit 2 inch metal target at 40 yards. Given the condition of the rifle this may be close to original performance but that spring is 100 years old? Be interested in others as to their FPS with these.

Thanks for that.7 ftlbs-ish I think is about what can be expected from these I have an earlier LP from 1907,but the tap is quite worn and the gun only puts out about 4 1/2 ftlbs as a result,sadly!

I would say your 7ftlbs is very good.
    I fitted a new strong spring to a 1910 and a 1919 light pattern and they both do 5.5ftlbs as do a few others I’ve tried.

The last bit of the cocking stroke on the 1910 was also quite heavy.

Seems you’ve got a good one there, nice one.

Matt

Curious would this 1920 have duel springs like I’ve seen in some older BSA’s?

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    If you wanted to lower it this was how I did mine:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7v3vnwh...d=ypawlaoira2h

Quite easy really.

Although with the large aperture available for low light you might not have a need to see the rearsight with it folded down anyway.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Had more time to think about this sight placement and the right windage adjustment knob makes the deep factory install have the further complication of carving out wood on the right side for access. Your sight doesn’t have that issue. Really evasive.

Below is factory?

Think mine looks a little cleaner? Pulled out to the lowest part of the beak and lowered in the wood by flat bevel to just give it usability, maybe thought out more than I thought?

Last edited by 45flint; 16-07-2020 at 12:06 PM.