Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just in a 1920 BSA Light with 21b three position aperature sight

Finally out in the backyard shooting. Bottom line is the aperture sight is right on and very easy to use. The downside to its placement is it really isn’t low enough to fold it down and use the normal sight effectively. Given that the aperture sight is so effective I really can’t see messing with it’s placement. In low light conditions I have 3 peep hole settings. Yes it’s unorthodox but certainly not as evasive as a factory install. I will just take it off and stabilize and fill any cracks. In a way this sight is part of the history of this rifle, I bet done by the owner many years ago? At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

The power was excellent as well I was over 600 FPS with 7.9 grain pellets. Certainly a easier rifle to shoot than the longer heavier Standard. I’m ready for my vintage bell target. May be a long wait here in the US.
    Last edited by 45flint; 09-07-2020 at 10:23 PM.

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    ... May be a long wait here in the US.
    I dunno, it only takes a few with an interest and a bell target to start - doesn't have to be with vintage stuff either, quickly gets addictive and there's always the chance for transatlantic competions with the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I dunno, it only takes a few with an interest and a bell target to start - doesn't have to be with vintage stuff either, quickly gets addictive and there's always the chance for transatlantic competions with the Internet.
    We were actually set to have the first vintage shoot at a local Airgun show here in my home State next month but the show got Crona Virused. Maybe next year. I saw a Utube of a English Bell target at a indoor sporting club they had modern 10 meter target rifles just didn’t seem right! Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 10-07-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Another antique air rifle in fantastic condition you now have in your collection,well done!Doubtless,as Danny mentions above America as a destination for air guns back in the first half of the twentieth century was the ideal place to ensure they would be shot twice and then stored forever by the disappointed owner! Perfectly understandable when in a country unafflicted by draconian firearms laws a plethora of very nice rimfire rifles and pistols were and still are easily available,(not to mention the bigger calibres)!

For me the the Light Pattern is one of the nicest springers BSA ever made.

that is a lovely rifle what a nice find

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Finally out in the backyard shooting. Bottom line is the aperture sight is right on and very easy to use. The downside to its placement is it really isn’t low enough to fold it down and use the normal sight effectively. Given that the aperture sight is so effective I really can’t see messing with it’s placement. In low light conditions I have 3 peep hole settings. Yes it’s unorthodox but certainly not as evasive as a factory install. I will just take it off and stabilize and fill any cracks. In a way this sight is part of the history of this rifle, I bet done by the owner many years ago? At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

The power was excellent as well I was over 600 FPS with 7.9 grain pellets. Certainly a easier rifle to shoot than the longer heavier Standard. I’m ready for my vintage bell target. May be a long wait here in the US.
    Glad you enjoyed shooting it, and it shoots just right as it is. l would also do the same with the peep sight as you suggest, and as you say it is all part of it's history. and that is what collecting is all about. that is why l am not keen on refinished guns.

If you wanted to lower it this was how I did mine:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7v3vnwh...d=ypawlaoira2h

Quite easy really.

Although with the large aperture available for low light you might not have a need to see the rearsight with it folded down anyway.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    If you wanted to lower it this was how I did mine:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7v3vnwh...d=ypawlaoira2h

Quite easy really.

Although with the large aperture available for low light you might not have a need to see the rearsight with it folded down anyway.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I’m in the process of cleaning and gluing back a chip that fell out as I took off the sight last night. The bevel was shallow but expertly level and clean, makes me now wonder if a amateur did this? If so a amateur with excellent tools? I know I can use glue to stabilize any cracking and in gluing the chip back no one will even notice any issue. Your inset was so well done and would eliminate the wood on my rifle that was damaged. That is tempting for sure given it is more factory. Thanks for your pics. You have some skills my friend! I will play with the open sights today as the aperture is now removed but a major joy of this rifle is that fascinating aperture sight. Realisticly I will always be using it, so I am not sure there is a real need to change things?

Final blending wood wax filler into repair
    Last edited by 45flint; 10-07-2020 at 08:03 PM.

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    We were actually set to have the first vintage shoot at a local Airgun show here in my home State next month but the show got Crona Virused. Maybe next year. I saw a Utube of a English Bell target at a indoor sporting club they had modern 10 meter target rifles just didn’t seem right! Lol
    Yeah, but that's the lure... and how I got ruddy hooked in!

I guess if you look at the sight you could extrapolate how deep the recess into the stock should be by the yard markings on the sight? I’m zeroed and am probably over a 1/8 inch below the 10 yard mark? Not a exact science but you have to assume the factory had specs. for depth for a factory install? The detail and quality of these little sights is pretty cool.

I guess if you look at the sight you could extrapolate how deep the recess into the stock should be by the yard markings on the sight? I’m zeroed and am probably over a 1/8 inch below the 10 yard mark? Not a exact science but you have to assume the factory had specs. for depth for a factory install? The detail and quality of these little sights is pretty cool.

Looks like it’s set on it’s lowest setting? so if you can wind the sightplate up to 25yds you should be able to lower the base plate by a similar amount.

Personally I’d zero it to be bang on for 15-20 yds, then if you have any upward adjustment left on the sightplate you can lower the base plate by recessing into the stock by that amount.

A 15-20yd zero should set it up so you aim under the target at 10, straight on at 15-25 and slightly higher 30-35yds.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Looks like it’s set on it’s lowest setting? so if you can wind the sightplate up to 25yds you should be able to lower the base plate by a similar amount.

Personally I’d zero it to be bang on for 15-20 yds, then if you have any upward adjustment left on the sightplate you can lower the base plate by recessing into the stock by that amount.

A 15-20yd zero should set it up so you aim under the target at 10, straight on at 15-25 and slightly higher 30-35yds.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I think your rifle was the perfect solution not sure I have guts enough to do it.

Hi Steve what a beautiful rifle. Great find. Enjoy. Cheers, Louis

I think your rifle was the perfect solution not sure I have guts enough to do it.
    I bought my light pattern quite cheaply specifically To fit that rearsight so wasn’t a huge risk.

Yours is in fantastic condition so I can understand your reluctance to start cutting up the stock.

Cheers,
    Matt

After a week these Lights are a wonderful rifle. Such a lighter feel from my standard and very accurate. Just started to add a 40 yard target to my backyard range. Hit that 2 inch plate on the second try, I could barely see it! I can see why these rifles still have a following today, just a functional grace to them and tap loading will always be my favorite. The design of the 21b allowed me to flip through the aperature sizes while aiming with a flip of the thumb for quick comparisons. Pretty unique.