Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please stop playing with fx air rifles.

Please stop playing with fx air rifles.

I have just received back what must be the 5th fx air rifle that has been played with. Just to give you some idea what the customer has done i will describe it in brief. This is from a customers covering letter who wrote " i regularly service my own air rifles"
    1. I went on line and watched some bloke as i wanted to adjust my power for my pellet weight to 11.8/11.9 ftlb using 8.4 grn jsb's. (now i can guarantee that rifle with a heavier pellet will be over the limit, trust me i tested enough of them to know)
    2. I don't know what happened but i got some pellets stuck in the barrel.
    3. I tried to heat the barrel up to melt the pellets out but it didn't work. (surprise surprise)
    4. I tried to rod the barrel with a brass cleaning rod but it came apart and there are two bits of cleaning rod stuck down the barrel. (yes they are still down the barrel)
    5. I tried drilling them out with a 2mm drill bit but it broke into two bits. (yes they are still down the barrel)
    6. I tried hammering it down but none of them would budge. (wow, guess which end of the barrel the hammer hit........yep the crown!)

This was a brand new fx impact mkII. It took over an hour to get the rods x2, drill bit x2 and 2" of lead out of the barrel. I don't even know if the barrel will be ok but on initial inspection miraculously it doesn't appear to be damaged. However the crown is wrecked and will have to have the top 2mm removed and recrowned. Its now away with the gunsmith to see if the barrel can be salvaged or he will need a new barrel.

Second customer thought that he would service his fx impact as he did his fac one and that was fine (MKI) So the MKII should be fine, and up the power a bit! Takes it all apart and orders the seals for the MKII which duly turn up. Puts it back together and it doesn't work so then proceeds to take his working mkI apart (remember fac). Now has two guns that don't work. Decides to phone me and ask what the problem is down the phone! Initial question "when you took the first one apart and replaced the o rings did you have any left? Yes was the answer. "Then why didn't you check to find out why you had three o rings left rather than take your working gun apart?" Response "I thought i could compare" them was the answer.

Third customer wanted to adjust the power on his MKII wildcat as it was only running at 11.8ftlb on jsb heavies. He was changing to 8.4grn and wanted it to run at the same power or just a "smidge more". Tried adjusting the reg once he got past the anti tamper and the hammer spring but now it is all over the place. My question.... was it shooting ok before you played with it. Oh yes came back the reply it was near pellet on pellet at 50yds.

All the above rifles will have to be stripped down and put back together at the customers expense. If you aren't 100000000% sure what you are doing don't take them apart just because a mate or youtube is your bestest friend. I have had hardly any genuine warranty claims to do and most were quick fixes. I can tell if a gun has been taken apart reasonably quickly. Especially when a bit is missing from somewhere that, without taking it apart it is physically impossible for it to be missing from.

Stop playing with FX guns

I think it's a case of stop playing with any guns!!. The amount of HW's I've seen with problems is a real shock. Like you say, leave alone. Mach 1.5

Well it keeps you from getting bored 🤣
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post

Thanks i love the humorous sarcasm sometimes. Trust me i have better things to do than fix things that weren't broken before all those budding gunsmiths that watch youtube, or listen to their mate, get their hands on kit. I have a dreamline carbon fibre that i haven't touched as it shoots better than me out the box, so i have left it well alone running as smooth as silk at 11.7 on jsb heavies. And i have a pretty good idea what to do thanks to a weeks training with fx.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Also work through the door

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I think it's a case of stop playing with any guns!!. The amount of HW's I've seen with problems is a real shock. Like you say, leave alone. Mach 1.5

Strange the amount that come in with " i lent it to a mate and i don't know what he did but" Oh for a penny for every time i have heard that old chestnut.

"Frank! Yes my dear? The man at the garage rang, he said it would be £100 to fix the car,and £400 to fix what you fixed. Ooh Betty!"

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I get loads of rifles that people have tried to "home tune" too, I blame these youtube video's and their "harmonic tunes" people know an overpowered rifle is illegal but feel the need to try it anyway. the impact's and wildcats are becoming more frequent as they start to offer up new additional items such as power plenums. Why people need or want to run these on a sub12 rifle is beyond my comprehension.

Still, it's all work for someone to put it right

Pretty concerning that some people think an airgun shooting at 11.8 ftlb can be turned up a bit more.
    I would want it turned down!

That barrel will be scrap.

I'm really don't see why you're complaining as I work for a major Japanese manufacturer and it's quite simple, any breakdowns or issues on our equipment during the warranty period have to be inspected by factory trained engineers with anything found to have been caused through misuse or abuse is automatically not covered by warranty and therefore chargeable to the customer for both labour and parts at full list price, so why don't you do the same?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegogg View Post
    ...anything found to have been caused through misuse or abuse is automatically not covered by warranty and therefore chargeable to the customer for both labour and parts at full list price, so why don't you do the same?
    The way I read it, they are being charged.. it's just that it would be better if they didn't screw around with them in the first place
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegogg View Post
    I'm really don't see why you're complaining as I work for a major Japanese manufacturer and it's quite simple, any breakdowns or issues on our equipment during the warranty period have to be inspected by factory trained engineers with anything found to have been caused through misuse or abuse is automatically not covered by warranty and therefore chargeable to the customer for both labour and parts at full list price, so why don't you do the same?
    They do the OP clearly says so,
    But while he's repairing what the morons have done he's not able to PDI rifles waiting to be sent to their new owners

Funny, but it seems to be the same story as what was happening with ASI, fully three-quarters of the 'faults' that 'developed' with the guns were down to the 'YouTube Mechanics' (although most were the 'I lent it to a mate and it started/stopped/wont fire, so something's broke & I want it fixed under warranty' excuses) again, they could tell if it'd been apart

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    It's money in the bank man! stop complaing and get on with it...