Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Please stop playing with fx air rifles.

I am quite happy to take springers apart. The most dangerous part is the cocking link and the breech area. Both can mess up your fingers. If you put the action back in the stock before you cock it and handle it properly (including pointing it in the right direction) it is pretty safe.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    I have never ever tried to tune a rifle the only thing I do is to take a stock of and give it a clean. However I will be breaking my rule over the week end by changing a .177 rifle over to a .22. I have all the parts less a small guide/ washer type thing.
    I have spent all week working out how to do it and yes I’ve watched YouTube clips. All that is required is a new barrel a new probe and a new washer/probe guide I hope. If it goes tits up I will have the normal hissy fit blame every one and of course the not fit for purpose parts. Yes I have a gun smith on stand buy just in case.

Don't forget your chrono. .177-.22 is always interesting on the power afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    if its to heavy why not mess with it.no seriously though you could have say a 12 inch barrel and 200 cc bottle.ive done that to one of mine and you can vertuly shoot it with one hand.
    KevG
    I am considering swapping the bottle to carbon fibre to bring the balance back and weight down as it is a cracking gun. I maybe will shorten the barrel at the same time but not sure yet. Be interesting to see if i could get an fx barrel to fit

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
    Rule of thumb, only try and fix something yourself if you're happy to lose it if it goes wrong.
    Yes, but happy doesnt mean qualified or with the correct knowledge. Losing a gun because you get it wrong is one thing, losing your life because you were happy is totally another thing. I ride a motorbike and it is capable of in excess of 160mph and yes i have ridden it at that speed and a bit more besides. It doesn't mean i will be entering any motogp races any time soon because i just don't have the experience or skill to do so. Riding at 170 mph in a straight line and i was very very happy (closed airfield before any one says anything). I will not be doing that with a bunch of experienced blokes/females on a race track who know what they are doing as i would be more of a danger to them and me. It really is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
    Yes, but happy doesnt mean qualified or with the correct knowledge. Losing a gun because you get it wrong is one thing, losing your life because you were happy is totally another thing. I ride a motorbike and it is capable of in excess of 160mph and yes i have ridden it at that speed and a bit more besides. It doesn't mean i will be entering any motogp races any time soon because i just don't have the experience or skill to do so. Riding at 170 mph in a straight line and i was very very happy (closed airfield before any one says anything). I will not be doing that with a bunch of experienced blokes/females on a race track who know what they are doing as i would be more of a danger to them and me. It really is that simple.
    Fair comments
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I have learned to sort my own Springers out with good success.

I used to be a panel beater many moons ago, so I am quite happy to take some things apart. All of my rifles are Weihrauchs, Walthers, Air Arms and Dianas. I have found those easy to sort out and I am happy to sort out my friends rifles that have those makes, as I know how to confidently work on them.
    The other thing is that Springers I have worked on are so much more straightforward to work on than PCP's.

I did put a Huma regulator in my R10 which sorted the problem out that I had. Unfortunately due to working on it, it must have upset some seals as it then had a small air leak. There was no way I was going to try to fix that and sent it away to the people that know how. When I saw how many seals were in it, I was glad I did as I knew I would not confidently be able to do it.
    The people I get annoyed with are the types that just take it apart for the sake of it, then it's all ballsed up. There is a bloke at our range who does that, he thinks he does a great job, but the rifles are never the same again.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is broke then make sure you know what your doing, or give it to someone who does, not the twatt at our range though.

Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

You might want to have a chat with Ernest Rowe then, advocating filling the liner sleeve with bath sealant

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    You might want to have a chat with Ernest Rowe then, advocating filling the liner sleeve with bath sealant

John
    Thanks cant wait for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    If it is broke then make sure you know what your doing, or give it to someone who does, not the twatt at our range though
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Please stop playing with fx air rifles.

Beats me how anyone could consider trying to fix the modern fx rifles considering the cost of them, that's what the guarentee is for when you buy a new pcp. I have fettled an old bam b50 daystate huntsman clone, but replaced the filler valve & later on the firing valve with genuine daystate parts.When my sons R10 had problems it went straight back to bsa twice, then on to JB after guarentee ran out to sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Beats me how anyone could consider trying to fix the modern fx rifles considering the cost of them, that's what the guarentee is for when you buy a new pcp. I have fettled an old bam b50 daystate huntsman clone, but replaced the filler valve & later on the firing valve with genuine daystate parts.When my sons R10 had problems it went straight back to bsa twice, then on to JB after guarentee ran out to sort it.
    Interesting about the B50 ... I bought one several years ago and had a wonderful time adjusting it ... different transfer ports and hammer spring load. Really very easy to work on once you have stripped it a couple of times. I wanted to use a Daystate Huntsman (MK1 / 2) firing valve but could not get one from Daystate. I tried a few times, even asking directly at the Daystate stand at the Shooting Show. All details taken but heard nothing. I assumed I heard nothing because they were not available. They can be found in Canada but take some finding. Filler valve is no problem as it it a standard fitment.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
    I have just received back what must be the 5th fx air rifle that has been played with. Just to give you some idea what the customer has done i will describe it in brief. This is from a customers covering letter who wrote " i regularly service my own air rifles"
    1. I went on line and watched some bloke as i wanted to adjust my power for my pellet weight to 11.8/11.9 ftlb using 8.4 grn jsb's. (now i can guarantee that rifle with a heavier pellet will be over the limit, trust me i tested enough of them to know)
    2. I don't know what happened but i got some pellets stuck in the barrel.
    3. I tried to heat the barrel up to melt the pellets out but it didn't work. (surprise surprise)
    4. I tried to rod the barrel with a brass cleaning rod but it came apart and there are two bits of cleaning rod stuck down the barrel. (yes they are still down the barrel)
    5. I tried drilling them out with a 2mm drill bit but it broke into two bits. (yes they are still down the barrel)
    6. I tried hammering it down but none of them would budge. (wow, guess which end of the barrel the hammer hit........yep the crown!)

This was a brand new fx impact mkII. It took over an hour to get the rods x2, drill bit x2 and 2" of lead out of the barrel. I don't even know if the barrel will be ok but on initial inspection miraculously it doesn't appear to be damaged. However the crown is wrecked and will have to have the top 2mm removed and recrowned. Its now away with the gunsmith to see if the barrel can be salvaged or he will need a new barrel.

Second customer thought that he would service his fx impact as he did his fac one and that was fine (MKI) So the MKII should be fine, and up the power a bit! Takes it all apart and orders the seals for the MKII which duly turn up. Puts it back together and it doesn't work so then proceeds to take his working mkI apart (remember fac). Now has two guns that don't work. Decides to phone me and ask what the problem is down the phone! Initial question "when you took the first one apart and replaced the o rings did you have any left? Yes was the answer. "Then why didn't you check to find out why you had three o rings left rather than take your working gun apart?" Response "I thought i could compare" them was the answer.

Third customer wanted to adjust the power on his MKII wildcat as it was only running at 11.8ftlb on jsb heavies. He was changing to 8.4grn and wanted it to run at the same power or just a "smidge more". Tried adjusting the reg once he got past the anti tamper and the hammer spring but now it is all over the place. My question.... was it shooting ok before you played with it. Oh yes came back the reply it was near pellet on pellet at 50yds.

All the above rifles will have to be stripped down and put back together at the customers expense. If you aren't 100000000% sure what you are doing don't take them apart just because a mate or youtube is your bestest friend. I have had hardly any genuine warranty claims to do and most were quick fixes. I can tell if a gun has been taken apart reasonably quickly. Especially when a bit is missing from somewhere that, without taking it apart it is physically impossible for it to be missing from.
    Trust me i know where you are coming from but how did you become a 'Gunsmith'?....I would suspect that quite a few of the respected names we have on here started with curiosity and that urge to see how something works and can i make it any better. I'm not formally trained but have been in Engineering for 38 years and am known on the HFT/FT circuits as one of the primary Steyr fettlers. I've done work from as far afield as the US and Russia and even Steyr started using SS shims in their regs years after i started doing it. In the past 2 decades I've serviced over 700 Steyrs and probably double that number in regs so am getting there and have shot Steyrs myself for most of that time with AA's before that. I WAS lucky in that i was initially shown how to strip down an early LG100 by Steve Gallup and Jon Sykes (Hydrographics) who were instrumental in getting the first LG100's up to 12ft/lb for the FT circuit....and went form there. I have 2 Steyrs that are now 17 and 18 years old and still winning trophies.

Now for the bit where we really are on the same page. Some of the horror stories I've had over the years would make your hair curl, One LG110 i had to drill out every single screw/bolt and that added almost 4 hours onto the service time with some needing helicoil. And that's the problem with some rifles, they are actually quite easy to get into and strip down and also very easy to damage as a result. I'm (and the people i do the work for) rather fortunate that this is not my livelihood as the cost would soon escalate for some rifles. It's still something i enjoy doing on the side so don't charge for the extra hours. I do have the odd head scratching moment when someone asks for a reg servicing kit but admit they don't own a reg checker....
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Trust me i know where you are coming from but how did you become a 'Gunsmith'?....I would suspect that quite a few of the respected names we have on here started with curiosity and that urge to see how something works and can i make it any better. I'm not formally trained but have been in Engineering for 38 years and am known on the HFT/FT circuits as one of the primary Steyr fettlers. I've done work from as far afield as the US and Russia and even Steyr started using SS shims in their regs years after i started doing it. In the past 2 decades I've serviced over 700 Steyrs and probably double that number in regs so am getting there and have shot Steyrs myself for most of that time with AA's before that. I WAS lucky in that i was initially shown how to strip down an early LG100 by Steve Gallup and Jon Sykes (Hydrographics) who were instrumental in getting the first LG100's up to 12ft/lb for the FT circuit....and went form there. I have 2 Steyrs that are now 17 and 18 years old and still winning trophies.

Now for the bit where we really are on the same page. Some of the horror stories I've had over the years would make your hair curl, One LG110 i had to drill out every single screw/bolt and that added almost 4 hours onto the service time with some needing helicoil. And that's the problem with some rifles, they are actually quite easy to get into and strip down and also very easy to damage as a result. I'm (and the people i do the work for) rather fortunate that this is not my livelihood as the cost would soon escalate for some rifles. It's still something i enjoy doing on the side so don't charge for the extra hours. I do have the odd head scratching moment when someone asks for a reg servicing kit but admit they don't own a reg checker....
    Feel free to point out where i said i was a gunsmith. I spent 5 days in sweeden learning how to put the fx's together and fix leaks etc on fx air rifles under the careful gaze of Frederick and Johann. I also spent 17 years as an engineer working on HP air systems amongst other hydraulics and lp air systems. Even i don't mess with things that i don't understand and will speak to a far more experienced person. I respect compressed air and it's workings also those that know what they are doing but not those that think they know what they are doing by watching youtube or a mates advice.

lease stop playing with fx air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Interesting about the B50 ... I bought one several years ago and had a wonderful time adjusting it ... different transfer ports and hammer spring load. Really very easy to work on once you have stripped it a couple of times. I wanted to use a Daystate Huntsman (MK1 / 2) firing valve but could not get one from Daystate. I tried a few times, even asking directly at the Daystate stand at the Shooting Show. All details taken but heard nothing. I assumed I heard nothing because they were not available. They can be found in Canada but take some finding. Filler valve is no problem as it it a standard fitment.
    Cheers, Phil
    I got a daystate fac valve from someone on here, will have a look at my pm's to see who it was, seem to remember they were in short supply then & that was 2 or 3 years ago.The rifles sub 12 btw before anyone pounces on the fac bit. EDIT, had a look but must have deleted the message, from memory i think it was someone xtx air put me onto, you could try him?
    Last edited by junglie; 15-07-2020 at 01:32 PM.

So are you a designated fx service/ repair man then ?
    How many of them are in the uk ?