Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please stop playing with fx air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    if its to heavy why not mess with it.no seriously though you could have say a 12 inch barrel and 200 cc bottle.ive done that to one of mine and you can vertuly shoot it with one hand.
    KevG
    And now with the carbon fibre bottles the rapids are no longer nose heavy. Best pcp ever made the rapid. Will last a lifetime if not abused.

Back in the mid 80's at RAF Marham human error using HP gas kit, cost a lad one arm below the elbow & a couple of fingers of his other hand .

Sh*t like that gives you a healthy respect for HP compressed gasses, but you still read threads from people messing with rifle insides, often "helping" their mate ,
    and having to ask questions that show a lack of much knowledge about what they're doing.
    Makes me cringe .

I have stripped and resealed only two of my guns. My aa s300 and my sumatra. Both are very easy to work on although i did break my thumb 6wks ago but the newer regged guns i would never attemp to tamper with and rather leave a competent gunsmith do them. Some people dont know when stuff is above what they are capable of doing.

Made me laugh "heated up the barrel to melt the pellets"

No "tolerance appreciation" what-so-ever!!!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    My personal favourite was a .177 springer Having a .22 THUMBED into the barrel!
    Master Debater

Well, there's some right old miseries here. Look: Vice, pipe wrench and hammer.

How hard can it be? And if breaks, then it clearly wasn't fit for purpose in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    My personal favourite was a .177 springer Having a .22 THUMBED into the barrel!
    I have to admit I sneaked a few .20 in the 'Club Gladys' pellet bag and had the greatest of pleasure watching him trying to load them into his BSA Mercury. He had a sore Thumbys Wumbsy! (It keeps him on his toes.)

It was a regular occurance when I worked as a Saturday lad (??) in my local gun shop. The carrier bag full of bits that wont go back together again and the excuse "I lent it my mate!"

Springers I dont mind fettling but pre charged give me the willys.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

A Mans got to know his limitations
    Eastwood C.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Shortly after I began work a careless delivery driver rolled an oxygen bottle off the boc truck.
    The result would have done a James Bond film justice.
    It left me shaking
    In the late fifties I started a course on Oxy Acetylene welding with BOC, and before any of us even touched a torch we were shown photographs of what can go wrong when the bottles were not treated correctly, the results were horrific, so I always treated the bottles/regulators with healthy respect.

Rule of thumb, only try and fix something yourself if you're happy to lose it if it goes wrong.

Perhaps they were just plain unlucky and the Airgun Gods didn’t smile on them that day.

I know how they feel ..

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    The trouble is we are all inquisitive and like to know how things work, i have that in bucket loads BUT i wont tinker with a PCP not on yer nelly !
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    The trouble is we are all inquisitive and like to know how things work, i have that in bucket loads BUT i wont tinker with a PCP not on yer nelly !
    You and me both,but some people aren't fit to be left with a warm loaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I think it's a case of stop playing with any guns!!. The amount of HW's I've seen with problems is a real shock. Like you say, leave alone. Mach 1.5
    1st rifle I bought was an old used HW77K. After learning about legal power limits I discovered it had 4 fat washers in it. Needless to say it was barely legal, I'm not admitting it was well over!
    I had no idea who had owned it or how many. But I'll never buy a used gun again unless I know the seller very well, there are too many dabbling numpties around.

Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    there are too many dabbling numpties around.
    Too true.
    I have, over the years, bought several rifles at auction, pcp and springer. Two pcps were ott because some numpty had fitted cortina suspension springs in place of the standard hammer spring. A couple of springers had similar square section springs crammed in and were just at the point of being coil bound. Luckily you can usually spot a 'square section' but I never take preload for granted.
    I admit I am 'more relaxed' dealing with springers but provided I can get good authorative advice on a pcp I am generally happy although always proceed with caution. 'If it feels as if it needs undue force then it ain't right' is the rule. Regulators .. never touched one, nor have I tackled a BSA Spitfire HF as all the advice was 'let JB do it'. I do remember sitting at the table puzzling over a PH Dragon for a couple of hours though .... finally sussed it.
    The worst cases are where you make the assumption that the previous owner put an unknown to me rifle back together correctly ... a few times I have discovered that the fault is simply that the numpty got it wrong ... maybe a trigger component or valve seal in the wrong place or a small spring hooked on the wrong part. Sometimes parts cannot be fitted incorrectly (yippee) but sometimes they can. More hours spent staring at them on the table ...

Happy days
    Cheers, Phil