Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D printing

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Does it have to be plastic and 3D printed?

I'm envisaging a normal scope mount, just the base, with one side of the curved saddle removed, and an alloy block attached to the remaining wing of the saddle, aiming down at say 45 degrees, and kitted out with whatever platform you want to support the accessories.
    Hi Rich, thanks for replying ,I wanted it in Aluminium originally, but the people ive contacted have either said they need to make a minimum batch to make it worthwhile , or they haven't replied ,this of coarse may be down to other factors but I did have a look to see if there were any currant activity on their websites or Facebook pages.
    So I was hoping that 3D would be more cost effective on a one off job, at the moment it would seem not .

I realise that by asking for a one off job it won't be particularly cheap , but as far as I can see there are no comparable mounts on the UK market that acheives 30 or 45 degree settings so there's possibly a market especially in the mini rifle ,practical scene ? There are 45 degree mounts but the 30 degree setting means you don't have to twist the rifle over as much so it's quicker on timed comps and it's easier on the old next muscles !!
    Also in aly and with the two bolt clamping on the Piccatinny rails it would be rock solid , some on the UK market are single bolt and not Mil spec so could possibly twist ?

I've e-mailed Johno at AJP but as yet I haven't had a reply .
    Proberbly better to invest in a 3D printer and make it myself !

Regards Gordon
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

I think I could make something in aluminium but it would be time consuming as you say.

Starting from base zero, you have a Weaver or Piccatinny rail. You want to have an accessory pointing in the same direction as the barrel and set to one side, by what looks like 50 to 80mm, to be confirmed. The axis of this accessory is level with or just above or below the level of the rail, to be confirmed. How do you want to secure the accessory to the support? Could that be another short piece of Weaver rail and a regular scope mount clamp?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Yes Rich , that's about it, if you look at the one in the link I was thinking, replace the sight mounting base and replace it with a short Piccatinny rail .

The mount sits under the main optic either close to your eye or further down the rail, say..near the front of the optic .
    If the sight platform is pivoted then you can get 30 to 45 degree tilt.
    On the T-Rex one ,the section that the sight base sits on is reversable so one way it's 30, turn it over its 45 degree.
    The top rail is mil- spec Piccatinny.
    ATB, Gordon.

Another idea was if the sight platform was on a hinge /pivot it would give more flexibility in adjusting the red dot sight so the length that the adaptor protrudes from the rail will not be critical ? The red dot I was thinking of fitting has an integral Piccatinny base .
    ATB, Gordon.

Seems to me, the job could be done with two of these things I will send you a link, joined together with an alloy bar angled at one end by 30 degrees.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Most of the 3d printing companies will make anything you want as long as you supply the programme for their machine. Work is extraordinary expensive without that. Do you have it ? or are you wanting somebody to write the programme AND print the item?

Fabricating using a modified picatinny to 11mm rail and a short picatinny rail block as a clamp looks easy enough. What part of Bury are you in (about)

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Most of the 3d printing companies will make anything you want as long as you supply the programme for their machine. Work is extraordinary expensive without that. Do you have it ? or are you wanting somebody to write the programme AND print the item?

Fabricating using a modified picatinny to 11mm rail and a short picatinny rail block as a clamp looks easy enough. What part of Bury are you in (about)
    Not knowing a great deal about 3D printing i was presuming that it would be an inclusive package! ( and i know it's not wise to presume)
    I am begining to think that what i thought would be a relatively straight forward task for the experts is now becoming more trouble than what it's worth . I will proberbly end up with a Warne 45 degree adaptor, it was just that i wanted the adjustability of the 30 to 45 degree mount idea . And as it's a new rifle i wanted the mount to look the part and not something thats been cobbled together . ( And that's not a ref to any previous suggestions )
    ATB, Gordon.

You need to design the item and then either write the programme or get someone to write it for you. To get a professional service to do it will run into the thousands. you could always have a few extra ones made for sale but you run the risk of the printing company using your programme to make and undercut you.

From the sounds of it, you really need to buy a proprietary item

Thanks for the information.
    ATB, Gordon.

quick search on thingyverse brought this up 24 degree picatinny mount?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4417910/files

or this one
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4368506
    or even this one
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4009134
    Last edited by carpp; 12-07-2020 at 09:47 PM.

May have seen this already, on *bay £2.66, +£1.29 postage

45-Degree-Angle-Scope-Laser-Offset-Picatinny-Weaver-20mm-Rifle-Side-Rail-Mount/301491444256

seen few similar, different specs there. I have one like figure of 8, clamps to scope other end clamps flash light about £4 I recall
    Last edited by Kuyajonathan; 12-07-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carpp View Post
    quick search on thingyverse brought this up 24 degree picatinny mount?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4417910/files

or this one
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4368506
    or even this one
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4009134
    Thanks for posting those links, iv'e never heard of that site

Theyre not that far off and better than most ive looked at, i have just this morning spoke with someone who can do exactly what i want so its fingers crossed .
    ATB, Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyajonathan View Post
    May have seen this already, on *bay £2.66, +£1.29 postage

45-Degree-Angle-Scope-Laser-Offset-Picatinny-Weaver-20mm-Rifle-Side-Rail-Mount/301491444256

seen few similar, different specs there. I have one like figure of 8, clamps to scope other end clamps flash light about £4 I recall
    Thanks for taking the trouble to search, but i think/i hope i'm sorted
    ATB, Gordon.