Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW77 and Titan XS no.1 spring??

HW77 and Titan XS no.1 spring??

Just been servicing a friends HW77.
    (Graunchy cocking, dieseling etc etc.)

Did all the usual deburring, light polishing, machined a delrin rear spring guide and fitted a Titan XS no.1 spring.
    It was a lot longer than the original so had to use my spring compressor to get the trigger block on, so basically I thought it may want about 3 coils cutting off.
    Buzzed about 30 pellets through it then chrono'd it. definitely don't need any coils off!
    It is around the 12ftlb mark, prob will rise a bit after a tin of pellets, so will have to watch it.

What do most people use for the 77 & 97 in the Titan springs?
    A no.3 and cut it down? To say it was a monkey to compress, I'm surprised it didn't need cutting down.
    The original spring was easy to compress and put the trigger block on by hand but also gave similar chrono readings but didn't cock nice.
    I once did a HW35 with a decent spring, it was over compressed and had to cut it to bring the power up from 8ftlb to 11ftlb.

Any feedback much appreciated.
    (Skunky, used to have a Mohican in white, not cos of the illegal drug!!) Kill The Wabbit, Kill The Wabbit!! Air Arms S400 Classic, in .177. Tuned Rabbitstopper RJ Breach. Kandar Cp1 in 0.177. Remington Sabre .22.

The titan springs always seem to need coils removing and possibly collapsing in order to fit.

Don't be fooled by hefty preload and recoil,as you said yourself removing coils can raise the power output.

What calibre please?

A titan 13 spring cut and finished at about 29 coils would give 11fpe and a nice firing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    The titan springs always seem to need coils removing and possibly collapsing in order to fit.

Don't be fooled by hefty preload and recoil,as you said yourself removing coils can raise the power output.
    This.

Skunky, if it's running very close to 12 I'd be reducing the length of the spring straight away and setting up for 11.4ft.lbs maximum with the pellet that the rifle's the most efficient with. This will also make subsequent removel and fitting of the spring easier, reduce cocking effort and generally reduce stress and load on all the internals.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Calibre

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    What calibre please?
    0.22 cal.
    (Skunky, used to have a Mohican in white, not cos of the illegal drug!!) Kill The Wabbit, Kill The Wabbit!! Air Arms S400 Classic, in .177. Tuned Rabbitstopper RJ Breach. Kandar Cp1 in 0.177. Remington Sabre .22.

I don’t like Titan springs in 77’s, always feel far too snappy for me personally. I prefer to use the original, massively long MK1/2 HW spring in the 25mm setups as they give a nice soft cycle.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Trial and error

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post

Yeap, it's all trial and error.
    Shame I didin't have a meteor spring knocking about!

Pellets!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    This.

Skunky, if it's running very close to 12 I'd be reducing the length of the spring straight away and setting up for 11.4ft.lbs maximum with the pellet that the rifle's the most efficient with. This will also make subsequent removel and fitting of the spring easier, reduce cocking effort and generally reduce stress and load on all the internals.
    He was running it on RWS Superdomes, but I have some of Henry Kranks Power force pellets, it preferred those from initial observations.
    My Air Arms S400 loves the Power Force 7.00grain 0.177's, very accurate, fast and does the job with Bunnies!

25mm

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I don’t like Titan springs in 77’s, always feel far too snappy for me personally. I prefer to use the original, massively long MK1/2 HW spring in the 25mm setups as they give a nice soft cycle.
    This one is a 25mm piston set up, dunno how old it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Agreed,with a bigger coil pitch they are snappy in comparison.
    A meteor for example,cut down and refinished to 240mm and 28 coils they replace the standard 33 coils.

Titan Spring

As a rough guide needs to 26 - 28 coils. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by dearne75 View Post
    A titan 13 spring cut and finished at about 29 coils would give 11fpe and a nice firing cycle.
    No.13? A 10 and a 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
    0.22 cal.
    When setting it up after the later builds, do test for power output with the RWS Hobby and JSB Jumbo RS/Falcon Accuracy Plus. If safely under with these it should be safe with all other pellets.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Anyone ever tried the TX Mark III spring in one?