Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW77 and Titan XS no.1 spring??

Yes, very nice shot cycle but low powered. Approx 10ftIb with a 1.5cm top hat extension. Might try a titan no6 in my 97 or a no10. No10 in my 99 makes 11ftIb with 1 x power washer and lovely shot cycle/cocking

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, could do with a selection of springs to experiment with!!
    (Skunky, used to have a Mohican in white, not cos of the illegal drug!!) Kill The Wabbit, Kill The Wabbit!! Air Arms S400 Classic, in .177. Tuned Rabbitstopper RJ Breach. Kandar Cp1 in 0.177. Remington Sabre .22.

Quote Originally Posted by rlancast View Post
    Yes, very nice shot cycle but low powered. Approx 10ftIb with a 1.5cm top hat extension. Might try a titan no6 in my 97 or a no10. No10 in my 99 makes 11ftIb with 1 x power washer and lovely shot cycle/cocking
    Excellent information, thank you.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Anyone ever tried the TX Mark III spring in one?
    Yup. 10.9 ft. lb. (7.9gn pellet) with 32mm of preload.

Sounds perfect, Jim.

I know you really like this spring, as a fair few do. Readily available and good quality. Pretty much the ideal spring to consider in most projects if it fits?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Sounds perfect, Jim.

I know you really like this spring, as a fair few do. Readily available and good quality. Pretty much the ideal spring to consider in most projects if it fits?
    It's obviously very good in the TX, Tony, that's the combination (with 85mm stroke) that took the top three places in last year's UKAHFT Recoil Championship.

It's very good in the Walther LGV and LGU (especially coupled with a 3mm transfer port).

For the 25mm HW77 I think it would be better with a couple more coils. Probably ditto the 26mm HW77/97.

I have a Titan spring in my .177 77 - whatever number it states is suitable! With a couple of washers and top hat at either end the spring guide was just sitting outside the threads so needed a slight compression to get it screwed up. So I guess about a 30mm preload but no more certainly.

My .22 97 has less and can be screwed in without any precompression.

Both shoot around the 11.2 - 11.4. So you definitely don't need a big spring to get them shooting nicely!

No. 1 spring

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    I have a Titan spring in my .177 77 - whatever number it states is suitable! With a couple of washers and top hat at either end the spring guide was just sitting outside the threads so needed a slight compression to get it screwed up. So I guess about a 30mm preload but no more certainly.

Both shoot around the 11.2 - 11.4. So you definitely don't need a big spring to get them shooting nicely!
    Can't believe how much I had to compress the no. 1 spring.
    (Skunky, used to have a Mohican in white, not cos of the illegal drug!!) Kill The Wabbit, Kill The Wabbit!! Air Arms S400 Classic, in .177. Tuned Rabbitstopper RJ Breach. Kandar Cp1 in 0.177. Remington Sabre .22.

It's the age old boingery springy question - long and soft vs short and stiff, and one of the advantages of a short & stiff one being reduced preload leading to easier fitting. Both will give different shot cycle characteristics and Jim has shared much of his accumulated knowledge in his excellent Technical Airgun articles in Airgun World.

BOING!

It's the age old boingery springy question - long and soft vs short and stiff, and one of the advantages of a short & stiff one being reduced preload leading to easier fitting. Both will give different shot cycle characteristics and Jim has shared much of his accumulated knowledge in his excellent Technical Airgun articles in Airgun World.

BOING!
    Yes I've always gone with short and stiff - mainly down to the lack of a spring compressor! I remember fitting a whole, uncut Titan XS into an old BSA Meteor. The spring didnt last long and neither did the Meteor!

Titan spring numbers

Quote Originally Posted by dearne75 View Post
    A titan 13 spring cut and finished at about 29 coils would give 11fpe and a nice firing cycle.
    Finally found a site that lists up to no. 15.
    All others only listed up to no. 10???

Yes I've always gone with short and stiff - mainly down to the lack of a spring compressor! I remember fitting a whole, uncut Titan XS into an old BSA Meteor. The spring didnt last long and neither did the Meteor!
    A three ton hydraulic press can help

Quote Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
    Finally found a site that lists up to no. 15.
    All others only listed up to no. 10???
    Yes titan no 1 to titan no 15.I have a titan no 13 in my .177 hw95 and its very good.As i said,cut to 28 coils gives 11.3 with jsb exacts which is the guns best pellet.Max power is 11.6 with jsb express but not as accurate as the 8.44g exacts.
    If you use this spring in .22 it would need to be cut to about 27 coils to be safely under the limit.