Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Latest TX development

My Latest TX development

As some of you may know I have been tuning the TX for some years now , so thought I would outline where I have ended up after constant tinkering.
    I have been using 21mm diameter pistons for some years with x ring sealing though now I am sealing differently, so : 21mm steel skirted full length piston with synthetic piston ring for sealing, my own aluminium comp tube (with a hard coating that features teflon in the surface ) with a revised breech sealing method . It became apparent that temp shift was an issue for people shooting competition after a friend Rob F had a nightmare with his tx when shooting abroad at temp above 30c . So hmangphil on here and Rob f came up with the Idea of using an engineering plastic for a piston ring, they kindly gave me some material, and I worked with them on producing a ring to work with my set up and comp tube , and the results were impressive very low temp shift and outstanding consistency, Pics below I hope
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6cP8VhmfEzRGjvE46

Tx200

Nice Nick. Time for a rename the NG-TX21 tune or what ever dia the piston is i.e NG-TX23. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 11-07-2020 at 02:17 PM.

I know the old saying “if you have to ask the price, then you can’t afford it”, but go on give us an idea.

Very nice work and interesting thread
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Wow!

Very impressive, Nick. And thank you for being so open and sharing, as usual.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    great consistency across those temps...

BTW What's wrong with a steel comp tube ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I've made many parts for musical instruments from G5 Titanium (Ti6Al4V). It's a light strong material, but perhaps equally important for airgun use, it's very easy to anodise. Once anodised it has a hard low-friction surface, the thickness of which can be accurately controlled by the voltage used, and can be added to at any time - it's doesn't have to be "baked in".

It's not as easy to machine as aluminium alloys, it requires sharp tooling and good control of tool temperature either through plentiful coolant or reduced speeds and feeds.

It is a poor conductor of heat.

If piston sizes are coming down to 21mm or so, maybe this is now an affordable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    great consistency across those temps...

BTW What's wrong with a steel comp tube ?
    nothing wrong with steel, I have a version with ally piston and comp tube, my theory being they both expand at the same rate , as does the material I am using for the piston ring, but the real bonus is the low friction teflon in the surface finish.

Excellent work as always mate. I’ll look forward to our shoot out.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Your gun on the day will be one of these be nice to get some feedback

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    nothing wrong with steel, I have a version with ally piston and comp tube, my theory being they both expand at the same rate , as does the material I am using for the piston ring, but the real bonus is the low friction teflon in the surface finish.
    I see the logic.. can't argue
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    This is going to be a very interesting thread, what formats are you considering Nick ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    This is going to be a very interesting thread, what formats are you considering Nick ?
    Sorry don't understand what you mean by that?

This available for the airarms pro-sport?

very nice bud