Thread: sping compressor

sping compressor

just wondered what is the best type of spring compressor for an old airsporter

The issue you have is the sloping trigger block. Unless you have a fitment/gizmo to allow the sloping block to fit snuggly in a compressor then you can get by without a compressor ... although some people have made such a gizmo.
    Personally I do not use a compressor for the Airsporter or Mercury but do use a padded vice. Clamp action or trigger block in vice in order to unscrew the block or action; take care to have good control for when the spring releases. If you do not know what spring is there or what preload to expect, assume the worst and wear leather gloves and put a towel over the action as you release it.
    Re-assembly is basically the reverse ... check out the Idiots Guide sticky over in Collectables: thread 39 / 40

Cheers, Phil

Here is one that I prepared earier........

Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Similar to Phil Russell except if need be set block low in the soft jaws, I use plywood, then a sash clamp from muzzle to vice jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    The issue you have is the sloping trigger block. Unless you have a fitment/gizmo to allow the sloping block to fit snuggly in a compressor then you can get by without a compressor ... although some people have made such a gizmo.
    Personally I do not use a compressor for the Airsporter or Mercury but do use a padded vice. Clamp action or trigger block in vice in order to unscrew the block or action; take care to have good control for when the spring releases. If you do not know what spring is there or what preload to expect, assume the worst and wear leather gloves and put a towel over the action as you release it.
    Re-assembly is basically the reverse ... check out the Idiots Guide sticky over in Collectables: thread 39 / 40

Cheers, Phil
    Also, on controlling the spring release......on the Mercury, remove the barrel first so it can't open just when you don't need it to. And, on both, if you have the towel / thick gloves and a thick top, with your weight bearing on the muzzle from your midriff, there's even less chance of any mishaps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post

Cheers, Phil
    thanks

Hi all,

I am a new member and I intended to post a pic of a spring compressor I made recently particularly, though not exclusively, with the Airsporter in mind and I thought it could helpful here. I have the pic on my desktop. However I have to admit I can't for the life of me and I hold my hands up here, work out how to attach it to a post. I don't know if this is the right place to be asking for this help/advice but can some one tell me how to do it in very simple terms please?

Thank you, Pajj.