Thread: Sheridan Model F reseal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sheridan Model F reseal

Hi,

I just finished resealing a Sheridan Model F and thought I would write something about it.
    There is not much info on the net; thanks to Ped and UJ Backus for their advice.

The hardest part was getting the chamber plug out; the aluminium part that holds the face seal.
    It was stuck; I followed UJ's advice to soak it in penetrating oil and then use a spent CO2 cartridge and a long wooden dowel
    to tap it loose from the muzzle end. Then I pushed it out with a metal rod.

Ped supplied the seal kit. Working well now. 570 ft/s with 13.73 JSB's which translates to 10.1 ft/lbs.
    I have the impression that this is on the high side for an F; I haven't done a complete shot string but I expect the shot count to be quite low.
    Velocity went down whilst shooting the first 10 shots, but I think this was mostly because of shooting too quickly. The cylinder was getting pretty cold.
    This gun has serial no. 263147 and was built in 1979.

Cheers, Louis

Sheridan Model F's are my favourite CO2 rifle and are to be treasured -- they are rare here in the UK (and Europe) and I gather they are becoming harder to find in the USA.

I haven't had mine checked for a while but they were doing about 8/9ft lbs if I remember rightly. As you suspect Louis, they are gas guzzlers and shot count is quite low -- I usually get 20/25 usable shots per capsule.

Sheridan

Very nice.. I have a gs 397 in bright nickel.. & yes they are gas hogs.. I striped mine and resealed and did a little internal work... Obviously mine is the Benjamin mint boxed example.. Absolutely love it.. If anyone is wanting to part with a Sheridan f I would certainly be interested...
    Atb John.

I too am a big fan of the Benjamin 392/397's as well as the similar looking Sheridan F9 -- they are great little rifles and are (almost!) as good as the Sheridan F's

Benjamin

Yep absolutely agree with you Allan.. The little benjys are great..
    Last edited by JOHN K; 21-04-2024 at 05:00 PM.

It would be interesting to try to make the gun more efficient.
    Reducing the hammer spring strength, adding some valve return spring preload, balancing things out.
    On the other hand, I like the loudness of the gun, and that column of CO2 that comes out of the barrel.
    A nice upgrade would be this bulk fill adapter from Mac 1 in the USA.