Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Model F reseal

Sheridan Model F reseal

Hi,

I just finished resealing a Sheridan Model F and thought I would write something about it.
    There is not much info on the net; thanks to Ped and UJ Backus for their advice.

The hardest part was getting the chamber plug out; the aluminium part that holds the face seal.
    It was stuck; I followed UJ's advice to soak it in penetrating oil and then use a spent CO2 cartridge and a long wooden dowel
    to tap it loose from the muzzle end. Then I pushed it out with a metal rod.

Ped supplied the seal kit. Working well now. 570 ft/s with 13.73 JSB's which translates to 10.1 ft/lbs.
    I have the impression that this is on the high side for an F; I haven't done a complete shot string but I expect the shot count to be quite low.
    Velocity went down whilst shooting the first 10 shots, but I think this was mostly because of shooting too quickly. The cylinder was getting pretty cold.
    This gun has serial no. 263147 and was built in 1979.

Cheers, Louis

Sheridan Model F's are my favourite CO2 rifle and are to be treasured -- they are rare here in the UK (and Europe) and I gather they are becoming harder to find in the USA.

I haven't had mine checked for a while but they were doing about 8/9ft lbs if I remember rightly. As you suspect Louis, they are gas guzzlers and shot count is quite low -- I usually get 20/25 usable shots per capsule.

Sheridan

Very nice.. I have a gs 397 in bright nickel.. & yes they are gas hogs.. I striped mine and resealed and did a little internal work... Obviously mine is the Benjamin mint boxed example.. Absolutely love it.. If anyone is wanting to part with a Sheridan f I would certainly be interested...
    Atb John.

I too am a big fan of the Benjamin 392/397's as well as the similar looking Sheridan F9 -- they are great little rifles and are (almost!) as good as the Sheridan F's

Benjamin

Yep absolutely agree with you dave.. The little benjys are great..

It would be interesting to try to make the gun more efficient.
    Reducing the hammer spring strength, adding some valve return spring preload, balancing things out.
    On the other hand, I like the loudness of the gun, and that column of CO2 that comes out of the barrel.
    A nice upgrade would be this bulk fill adapter from Mac 1 in the USA.

Not a great photo but a nice ad

Nice ad as you say Louis, it must be from around 1975 when the "F" series were first introduced.

I think Fletcher said they were inefficient because they used basically the same valve system as in their pump rifles? They were trying to catch up to Crosman and were late to the party.

I have a 1975 model which has the thick solid aluminium filler cap rod compared to the later production models which have a thin steel rod.

It sounds as if something is loose in the back of the gun and you can hear it moving inside when you tip the rifle up and down.

Tim McMurray (MAC-1 Airguns) says the early Model F's had "spring guides that were a straight piece of round stock with no end on them. These spring guides would slide fore and aft inside the spring. Later guns had a guide with a nail head type rear end so the guide was captured by by the rear plug and spring so it couldn't slide around"

the c series had similar guides Allan i have a few different type guides in my spares box as i replace them with an adjustable one and a lighter spring

Has anyone compared these to the Crosman 160? Just seems to me the 160 is a better rifle in about every respect? Walnut stock being the only thing lacking? But I have never owned the above?
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-07-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Crosman 160 - particularly the Ted Williams model is streets ahead of the Sheridan Mod F in my opinion.

It had a peep rear sight as standard and was machine grooved for a scope. It had a sliding hatch in the rear of the stock to carry spare CO2 bulbs. Easier to maintain, think Crosman 150 pistol and those features put it ahead of the Mod F.

[IMG]TW 160 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    TW Breach by Mark Davis, on FlickrTed Williams 160 by Mark Davis, on Flickr

the 160 was a better gun to use but the f type was more classy imo

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    the 160 was a better gun to use but the f type was more classy imo
    I agree -- to my eyes the Sheridan is the most elegant (apart from the Howa 55G) of all the CO2 rifles.

The Crosman 160's and the J C Higgins 180's with the full length stocks made exclusively for Sears Roebuck come a close second.