Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Model F reseal

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    I agree -- to my eyes the Sheridan is the most elegant (apart from the Howa 55G) of all the CO2 rifles.

The Crosman 160's and the J C Higgins 180's with the full length stocks made exclusively for Sears Roebuck come a close second.
    I find this the praise of the Sheridan F surprising really. Sheridan was locked into its barrel soldered to a full length tube from its pumper for some reason? There is no need for a tube that long for a CO2 rifle unless it’s bulk filled? Looks odd really. You see the exquisite Howa 55G and the Crosman 160 designed a rifle from the ground up for CO2 and the tube is shorten to accommodate the CO2 cartridges. The result a long free barrel looks like a normal rifle? The Sheridan looks like a pumper when there is really no inherent elegance in that? Plus the fact that it is probably the most inefficient CO2 rifle ever made?

Last edited by 45flint; 17-07-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Once an importer.......

I imported a few Sheridan F's and Benjamin 3120s in the early '80s. In next to no time the F's were coming back with spent Powerlets stuck to their valve seal! 3120's were returned because the ammo tube rattled loudly!! About this time I decided luckier chaps could do the importing of exotic airguns! Even though the Sheridan E pistol suffered the same problems as the F-it was a bargain at $35!

[QUOTE=45flint;7902588]I find this the praise of the Sheridan F surprising really. Sheridan was locked into its barrel soldered to a full length tube from its pumper for some reason? There is no need for a tube that long for a CO2 rifle unless it’s bulk filled? Looks odd really. You see the exquisite Howa 55G and the Crosman 160 designed a rifle from the ground up for CO2 and the tube is shorten to accommodate the CO2 cartridges. The result a long free barrel looks like a normal rifle? The Sheridan looks like a pumper when there is really no inherent elegance in that? Plus the fact that it is probably the most inefficient CO2 rifle ever made?QUOTE]

Personally, I don't think the Sheridan F is any more inefficient than the majority of CO2 rifles, as for looks "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

That said, when it comes to looks the Sheridan cannot compare with the Howa 55G (my Holy Grail of air rifles!) which is after all a straight copy of the actual firearm.

Incidentally, the Sheridan F in the bottom picture belongs to me -- bought new in 1982 from Manchester Air Guns.

Sheridan model f

Allen I agree with you that the Sheridan is a fine looking rifle.. In the past when they have come up for sale as usual I never had the funds.. But like I said in one of the post above in anyone reading this thread would like to part with one then I would be most happy to purchase.. Alan do you have the Benjamin gs397 if so what sort of fps are you getting..
    Atb John.

slightly off topic but John did you get my pm's about the hammer springs and adj you were wanting
    i have 10 read that i just need to cut the thread to length depending on exactly which models they're to fit

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Crosman 160 - particularly the Ted Williams model is streets ahead of the Sheridan Mod F in my opinion.

It had a peep rear sight as standard and was machine grooved for a scope. It had a sliding hatch in the rear of the stock to carry spare CO2 bulbs. Easier to maintain, think Crosman 150 pistol and those features put it ahead of the Mod F.

[IMG]TW 160 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    TW Breach by Mark Davis, on FlickrTed Williams 160 by Mark Davis, on Flickr

Wow!!

That is a sleek beauty!! 😍😍

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

[QUOTE=AllanM;7902631]
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I find this the praise of the Sheridan F surprising really. Sheridan was locked into its barrel soldered to a full length tube from its pumper for some reason? There is no need for a tube that long for a CO2 rifle unless it’s bulk filled? Looks odd really. You see the exquisite Howa 55G and the Crosman 160 designed a rifle from the ground up for CO2 and the tube is shorten to accommodate the CO2 cartridges. The result a long free barrel looks like a normal rifle? The Sheridan looks like a pumper when there is really no inherent elegance in that? Plus the fact that it is probably the most inefficient CO2 rifle ever made?QUOTE]

Personally, I don't think the Sheridan F is any more inefficient than the majority of CO2 rifles, as for looks "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

That said, when it comes to looks the Sheridan cannot compare with the Howa 55G (my Holy Grail of air rifles!) which is after all a straight copy of the actual firearm.

Incidentally, the Sheridan F in the bottom picture belongs to me -- bought new in 1982 from Manchester Air Guns.
    Yikes your rifle what are the odds! Apologies are in order. Sorry about that. I think it’s my thoughts that the 160 is probably the finest CO2 rifle are creeping in?

Hiya ped,
    I have pm'd you..
    Atb John.

45flint : no apologies necessary, it's always nice to see a good looking elegant rifle on the forum!

JOHN K : I have a couple of GS397's, one resealed by Lawrie in 2014 and the other by Ped in 2018.

I've never had the power checked but I doubt it would be all that high, even with heavy pellets on a warm day -- probably on a par with the Sheridan 8/9 ft lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Crosman 160 - particularly the Ted Williams model is streets ahead of the Sheridan Mod F in my opinion.

It had a peep rear sight as standard and was machine grooved for a scope. It had a sliding hatch in the rear of the stock to carry spare CO2 bulbs. Easier to maintain, think Crosman 150 pistol and those features put it ahead of the Mod F.

[IMG]TW 160 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    TW Breach by Mark Davis, on FlickrTed Williams 160 by Mark Davis, on Flickr
    Wow that 160 is stunning.

I like my 180's. I think it is my favourite CO2 gun.

That's a really nice collection of 180's Louis.
    I have a couple of the J C Higgins model made for Sears Roebuck which look like a shorter (34" long) version of the 160 above.
    The 180's are often thought of as junior rifles -- both my granddaughters learned to shoot with them -- but they are great for adults as well!

It's a nice warm morning here and I've just finished a quick plinking session with one of my Sheridan F's -- just over 25 usable shots, just over 40 to empty, yes they are gas hogs!

After shooting I gave the gun a wipe down with Ballistol. When I bought the rifle it was a bit of a "plain Jane" but repeated rub downs over the years have really brought out the figuring in the American walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    It's a nice warm morning here and I've just finished a quick plinking session with one of my Sheridan F's -- just over 25 usable shots, just over 40 to empty, yes they are gas hogs!

After shooting I gave the gun a wipe down with Ballistol. When I bought the rifle it was a bit of a "plain Jane" but repeated rub downs over the years have really brought out the figuring in the American walnut.
    Very nice Allan. Did you shoot the F with scope? I wonder how accurate it is.
    A nice plinking gun, that's for sure. And a great looker.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Very nice Allan. Did you shoot the F with scope? I wonder how accurate it is.
    A nice plinking gun, that's for sure. And a great looker.
    Yes, it's the F topped with a Tasco 611VFM scope which has been on the gun pretty much since I purchased it in 1982.

Usually it's set at 2X for shooting tin cans about 60 feet away. At that sort of range accuracy is fine -- I use Beeman Silver Jets (wish you could still get them) and Crosman Premier pellets.

Look at the prices in the US, nuts to me?

This has gone yet may go even higher?

Last edited by 45flint; 29-07-2020 at 05:51 PM.