Thread: Valuation please gents.

Valuation please gents.

Asking on behalf of a friend.
    bsa light pattern 1919 in 177.
    Still on flat springs, cocks and fires nice and accurate.
    Any input of a price before it goes on sale thread.
    It's a side catch,strait stock,

Can't attaché photos but have them ready for e mail or if some kind gent could put them up.👍
    snarepeg.

Serial number is N64791
    snarepeg.

Here are some pictures of the Light Pattern in the usual .177 calibre posted on behalf of the OP. I believe the Ser No should be 64791 which makes it a late Improved Mod D model dated to Circa Nov 2012.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 14-07-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Good morning Mr Snarepeg The bottom line has to be £150. Would I sell it for that? Nah

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Good morning Mr Snarepeg The bottom line has to be £150. Would I sell it for that? Nah
    I think that would really be bottom line Mr. Binners. I'd be willing to give £175-200 for it so that's what I would value it at

I shall pass your valuation on gentlemen.
    I can say for how it looks it's not been shot a lot.
    The butt heel doesn't look like 108 years of putting down, it's very positive on cocking and the piston holds back when tap in raised position so still good on piston head.
    Thanks. John.👍🇬🇧
    snarepeg.

I would say between £150 and £200 is a good price range.

Never actually seen a straight hand stock without the metal butt plate. Interesting.

Now is it just me or has the stock had work done to it? Mainly with the plug on the butt (I wrote it that way on purpose but it still sounds wrong). Looks off a bit, like it might be a replacement that has had the lines cut in off center? Or it could just be my crap eyesight.

Nice interesting rifle and since they are so popular, it wont be a hard sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post

Never actually seen a straight hand stock without the metal butt plate. Interesting.

Now is it just me or has the stock had work done to it? Mainly with the plug on the butt (I wrote it that way on purpose but it still sounds wrong). Looks off a bit, like it might be a replacement
    I think you are right J. that cover plate does look wrong and could well be a replacement. I wonder whether the spring plate is still in place?

Now is it just me or has the stock had work done to it? Mainly with the plug on the butt (I wrote it that way on purpose but it still sounds wrong). Looks off a bit, like it might be a replacement that has had the lines cut in off center? Or it could just be my crap eyesight.

I have this so called "Transitional" BSA Light Pattern dating from very early 1919 which has the exact same butt plate as the one featured in the thread. The rifle is mainly assembled form Pre WW1 Improved Mod D parts, but with Post-WW1 lock work.

As the one featured in the original post has a high Ser No and a Straight Hand stock which didn't feature after the war, it could be another example of BSA using up interchangeable parts to avoid wastage during transitional periods. I note from the John Knibbs book that rifles in 62,000-63,000 range of all patterns were despatched in 1912, 1913, 1914 and even 1915.

I think with a little light cleaning up, estimates around £150 for the requested valuation would be about right for a private sale.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-07-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Have just fetched it from the owner.
    Have taken butt bolt cover of and metal plate still there but in half, I.e 2 pieces
    I would honestly say in my opinion it's genuine.
    It hasnt had a lot of use looking at stock checkering which is still quite crisp.
    It cocks and shoots very smoothly
    Now going into sales section at owners request and price. John
    snarepeg.

id say around the 150 mark

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Have just fetched it from the owner.
    Have taken butt bolt cover of and metal plate still there but in half, I.e 2 pieces
    I would honestly say in my opinion it's genuine.
    It hasnt had a lot of use looking at stock checkering which is still quite crisp.
    It cocks and shoots very smoothly
    Now going into sales section at owners request and price. John
    There is currently an almost identical rifle with straight hand stock, but in much better exterior condition , advertised on another forum for £200 so I think that that price , for this one would be just a little OTT

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    There is currently an almost identical rifle with straight hand stock, but in much better exterior condition , advertised on another forum for £200 so I think that that price , for this one would be just a little OTT
    I shall pass that on to the owner, he as seen one at £375 on guntrader but who hasn't?
    snarepeg.