Thread: .22 Hornet with Vhit N100

.22 Hornet with Vhit N100

Hi, very new to loading for rifles, but have done 12g many years ago. New acquisition of a .22 Hornet and a .223 means I have an excuse to dabble and I've been putting all the kit together for a while. I'm going to start with the hornet as it came with a few boxes of bullets, mainly 35gr V-max, but I have a box of 40gr BlitzKings and 60 Sierra 45gr soft points.
    I know everyone is probably going to scream Lil Gun at me, but is anyone loading with Vhit N110? I couldn't see any data on their site for 35gr and I have about 260 heads. A mate at work can get me the N110, but I'd like some views on suitability before I say yes.
    I have the 3 die Lee set which came with the gun. I believe I'll need a neck sizing die and a case expander for best results (see "Wanted" section).
    I have a selection of brass for it - no idea what to start with. Any recommedations? I have Hornady, S&B, Winchester and PPU.
    Finally, for the record the gun is a BSA hunter with loads of character (small dings and scrapes), it has 1:16 twist and grouped at 1.5inches at 100yds off my sticks. That was using the vmax that came with it, but I do not have load the data and I'm starting from scratch.
    Hopefully, with a bag under it I should be pretty accurate.
    Go on then...you can all shout Lil Gun now!
    "They fly into it sometimes..."

When I had a 22 Hornet, later converted to K Hornet (which is well works the effort BTW) then Lill’gun was ‘it’ after trying a few different powders, so that is your call re. Using Vit powders (also h110 was pretty good).

Other than that the Lee factory crimp die ( https://leeprecision.com/factory-cri...22-hornet.html ) made a significant improvement on accuracy, the thin cases on the Hornet and long taper.

Cheers T

Thanks Thibben. I've got the crimp die in the set that came with it. Pretty sure the few rounds that came with it are not crimped. Seems that crimping is the way forward and I'll be crimping away once I've settled on a powder choice.
    I will be using small pistol primers (came with it) and this also seems to be on the tick list for getting a good group.

Hi mate you will find out the hornet works best with a fast burning powder I use sp3 when I can get it in mine or ramshot Enforcer --or 2400 -I use 10grn of powder and 35 grn bullet --no crimp that works for me by using them powders 10grns nearly fills the case so no compressed loads you also have to be careful with the hornet case you can damage them easy

Yep, Lil Gun for me. RWS and Winchester brass is good. Have some PPU, but haven't tried it yet. I'm using 40gr V-Max @ 3,000 FPS.

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Hi mate you will find out the hornet works best with a fast burning powder I use sp3 when I can get it in mine or ramshot Enforcer --or 2400 -I use 10grn of powder and 35 grn bullet --no crimp that works for me by using them powders 10grns nearly fills the case so no compressed loads you also have to be careful with the hornet case you can damage them easy
    Thanks Z, most people seem to be on 40grn loads and I was struggling to find recommendations for 35gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Yep, Lil Gun for me. RWS and Winchester brass is good. Have some PPU, but haven't tried it yet. I'm using 40gr V-Max @ 3,000 FPS.
    Thanks Elliott, I must have 100 or so Winchesters to go at.

Get hold of the "one book / one calibre" reloading manual for the calibre(s)
    they list dozens of loads by bullet weight/velocity from each bullet manufacturer with the different powders/loads or by powder with the best bullet/load combo.

Worth every penny, even if you have to get them sent from the states.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Get hold of the "one book / one calibre" reloading manual for the calibre(s)
    they list dozens of loads by bullet weight/velocity from each bullet manufacturer with the different powders/loads or by powder with the best bullet/load combo.

Worth every penny, even if you have to get them sent from the states.
    Thanks Angrybear...I think I will do just that. I've just had a walk round the shoot with it after strimming round the pens. Light, quiet, plenty of punch...so glad I dropped it onto the variation forms (almost as an afterthought). The .17 HMR will be going now as I can't see the point of me keeping it. In short, I think I'll have this calibre for a while, even if I end up swapping guns around and getting something newer.

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Many thanks Thibben. I think I have abandoned the N110 idea as I can't find a load for it using my 35gr heads. I think there might be too small a powder density in the cases using it (?) and that doesn't sound like it makes for good consistency.
    I'm teetering between H110 and Lil Gun!

I use h110 with 35gr v max in my hornet. I don’t bother crimping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausagefingers View Post
    Thanks Angrybear...I think I will do just that. I've just had a walk round the shoot with it after strimming round the pens. Light, quiet, plenty of punch...so glad I dropped it onto the variation forms (almost as an afterthought). The .17 HMR will be going now as I can't see the point of me keeping it. In short, I think I'll have this calibre for a while, even if I end up swapping guns around and getting something newer.
    I actually got rid of my .22 K Hornet for a 17WSM which is better on rabbits (90% of what I shoot) but still well capable on 150yd foxes, although I wish we had the 25gn ammo as well as the 20gn.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I actually got rid of my .22 K Hornet for a 17WSM which is better on rabbits (90% of what I shoot) but still well capable on 150yd foxes, although I wish we had the 25gn ammo as well as the 20gn.

What makes the 17WSM better on rabbits than the K Hornet.