Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Good and interesting post, Abasmajor. Have you retained your BP cylinder, or did you do a one-for-one swap?
    Hi tac,
    The rear end of the original cylinder was machined off and modified to accept 209 shotgun primers with a new backplate made to accommodate a trapped firing pin.
    The rest of the gun remains as per the original revolver allowing for on-gun reloading rather than the need for a separate press.
    Brian

i read on an american forum that one poster said the ruger cylinder was cast and not as strong as we think they are......i will try and find and read further as i was just flitting through etc

only posting what i read and even the converted ones only recommend smokeless cowboy loads....personally i think its the best bp revolver out there and one would like to own.....heres another
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-273123.html

Just to complicate matters, I've now been offered a Pietta Remington 1858 with target sights in mint condition for £150.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    Just to complicate matters, I've now been offered a Pietta Remington 1858 with target sights in mint condition for £150.
    i have the revolver and its dated 1992 i believe
    great revolver but not in the same leauge as the ruger
    if you are serious bp shooter them its the ruger everytime
    if you only shoot twice a years etc then get the pietta.
    a little tip about pietta 1858
    ypu can buy all parts forthem including hammers / cylinder stops / trigger/sear and index arm nut the tooling was changed around 1995 so revolvers like mine parts need fettling.
    i replaced all my parts but the cylinder lock stop will lock the gun up when fitted so i use the old part etc
    kranks have offered to look at it for me but i need to stay there whilst they look at it,,,,,just one of them things with the early revolver

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    I would definitely stick with the Ruger for the previously stated reasons. In my experience anyway, Uberti make the best of the affordable Italian replicas with only the far more expensive Pedersoli Remington 1858 replica possibly providing something better. I have two Uberti Remington 1858 replicas and have been entirely satisfied with both, but If I were restricted to one muzzle loading revolver, it would be a Ruger Old Army.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-07-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah, right, I know the difference, I was just wondering if you had retained the facility to shoot BP by using the original cylinder but it seems that you've had it converted, rather than buy one that has already been done.
    I think that it would be OK to use the modified cylinder with BP but some careful load development might be indicated since the shotgun primer is more grunty than a percussion cap.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I think that it would be OK to use the modified cylinder with BP but some careful load development might be indicated since the shotgun primer is more grunty than a percussion cap.
    So, just to clarify, I can confirm that there should be no safety issues using 209 shotgun primers with BP substitutes, but I can't comment on their use with black powder loads.
    Brian