Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....
    I could be partly to blame for this. Because Mr Chip Shoulder thought you were a mod and he could not post anything else on the thread he sent me a PM.

This:-
    I checked that just now, there was some play I could see and feel, but it wasn't exactly slopping about. Having just reread your comment, I only checked one cylinder !!! Bugger!
    I did take a video of the one cylinder I checked. There were also marks on it that looked like cleaned up rust pitting and vice clamping marks! Also the metal was marked a bit around the nipples as if the cylinder had been catching as it rotates? This can also be seen in the video.
    So not sure, I expect no, I see that HK also have one in stock at the same £400 price.

I sent this reply:-
    Hi, You can sometimes expect a little bit of rust on an older gun, especially blackpowder, so long as it is not deep and appears to have been badly neglected. I would be wary of any gun with vice marks. Why has it been in a vice? Anyone who is competent would have used lead sheet or thick leather to clamp it up to avoid damage.
    The nipples should not be binding anywhere. You do get a line on well used pistols where the locking pawl drags along the cylinder between the locking lugs while it is rotating, but that is normal.
    I cannot decide this for you I'm afraid it is up to you. But from what you have told me I would look for something else.
    I hope this helps.

It might have been better if he had started a new thread with the question about the condition of the gun and what to look for.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 22-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.