Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....
    From post 39
    I have to disagree that they are bomb proof.

Someone at the club bought a ROA. The cylinder, when it is at full cock would not lock up tight, it could be moved about .020" in either direction of the barrel centreline.
    It was either badly worn internally, or had been bodged up by someone. I did not look at the slots on the cylinder itself but I don;t think they would have been worn. It had no accuracy at all probably because the ball was being shaved if the cylinder moved to one side when it was fired.

All that glitters is not gold, as they say.
    Anything you buy second hand needs to be checked thoroughly. It is too late once you have parted with your hard earned dosh

Tac,

All you have told me is that Your gun has been running for 30 odd years with no issue and because of that they are ALL good.

Please tell me if you have inspected the gun I've been offered?

If no, how can you know it's condition?

Are you seriously telling me you can tell the condition of every gun in the world ever made because yours is OK?

I have had PM's giving me some advice about what to look for, and once that information was relayed, the people contacted couldn't help me.

This gun has slop in the Barrel at full cock, it has rust pitting that's been cleaned out and it has vice/clamp marks in the body.
    Also the story changed as to how the shop got it twice. Once it was an old guys and he had a heart attack before he could shoot it (so it's new) the second time the story was the police had it for 5 years.

If I had some proper help, I could make a decision, but with no knowledge on this gun, and no club member to help me. I'm not going to sell a load of my personal stuff to buy an unknown and take up the last space on my certificate. You may have money to throw away and lots of empty spots on your licence, But I do not, I'm really sorry about that!

I'd love to buy it, but I can't take the risk with no info on what to look for.
    Are you going to drive over to south Wales and help me out, I doubt it!
    I'm still waiting for you to get me the info you promised you'd get me about a scope from about 2 years ago, YES I STILL REMEMBER!

I'm shaking my head as well !
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 21-07-2020 at 10:11 PM.