Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Thanks Des

I got a 457 mould on it's way, intend to get to the club in two weeks.

How have you found that wax, is it any good?

Cool fact,
    I just looked up when my gun was made, mid hundreds, so was in the first production year, 1976-77.
    So I was 7 years old when it was new

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-OAKBP.html
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 26-07-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    Thanks Des

I got a 457 mould on it's way, intend to get to the club in two weeks.

How have you found that wax, is it any good?

Cool fact,
    I just looked up when my gun was made, mid hundreds, so was in the first production year, 1976-77.
    So I was 7 years old when it was new

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-OAKBP.html
    Hello,

After all the discussion, it would be nice if you could maybe post some pictures of your new acquisition . The link below is to photo of my Ruger Old Army which I had converted to also shoot smokeless powder using 209 shotgun primers for ignition. As I carefully weigh my smokeless powder charges, I decided to do the same with the BP substitute (Hodgdon 777) rather than dispensing by volume. The best results I've had with the substitute was using 13grns of 777 with a .457 ball seated over a greased wad. The comparable smokeless load is 4.5grns of Herco with a .457 ball lubricated with Alox obviously without the need for a wad.
    Both loads shoot to the same POI on a PL7 target at twenty five yards and easily hold the black if I do my bit.

https://imgur.com/33xXWRN

Brian

A very nice example which looks to be in excellent condition and should provide you with years of pleasure. Lets us know how it performs when you eventually get to take it to the range.

Brian

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello,

After all the discussion, it would be nice if you could maybe post some pictures of your new acquisition . The link below is to photo of my Ruger Old Army which I had converted to also shoot smokeless powder using 209 shotgun primers for ignition. As I carefully weigh my smokeless powder charges, I decided to do the same with the BP substitute (Hodgdon 777) rather than dispensing by volume. The best results I've had with the substitute was using 13grns of 777 with a .457 ball seated over a greased wad. The comparable smokeless load is 4.5grns of Herco with a .457 ball lubricated with Alox obviously without the need for a wad.
    Both loads shoot to the same POI on a PL7 target at twenty five yards and easily hold the black if I do my bit.

https://imgur.com/33xXWRN

Brian
    Nice looking gun. Interested to see the cylinder has a very different appearance to mine - like the stripey effect. Is that a special model of some kind?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Mine carries a few grip marks.
    I'd like to carefully sand and polish them out.
    Are these guns plated or can I just get stuck in with very fine emery cloth and polishing compound?

Mine carries a few grip marks.
    I'd like to carefully sand and polish them out.
    Are these guns plated or can I just get stuck in with very fine emery cloth and polishing compound?
    Hi,

The Ruger Old Army is solid stainless steel and not plated, so polish away with care obviously.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Nice looking gun. Interested to see the cylinder has a very different appearance to mine - like the stripey effect. Is that a special model of some kind?
    The stripes to the cylinder side were applied by the gunsmith who added them to further identify the gun as a nitro conversion. It obviously also has nitro proof marks and the stamped name of the converter (Falcon Gun Company) who kicked off these conversions just after the breech loading pistol ban in 1997.
    Brian

lovely looking revolvers......

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

The Ruger Old Army is solid stainless steel and not plated, so polish away with care obviously.

Brian
    Just stripped down the gun and got stuck in.
    Got all the marks and scratches out with 320 emery paper.
    Then went onto W&D paper, down to 2000.
    MicroMesh down to 8000.
    Then polished with Autosol.

I resisted the urge to cut or buff on a wheel and stuck to hand work only with sanding block and fingers.
    I must say this stainless steel is very hard and even the shallowest scratches needed quite a bit of effort.
    Took 4 hours to work over the whole frame.
    The gun now looks very nice indeed with no obvious marks, just a nice shiny clean revolver

Thanks for the advice.