Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

only posting what i read and even the converted ones only recommend smokeless cowboy loads....personally i think its the best bp revolver out there and one would like to own.....heres another
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-273123.html

Just to complicate matters, I've now been offered a Pietta Remington 1858 with target sights in mint condition for £150.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    Just to complicate matters, I've now been offered a Pietta Remington 1858 with target sights in mint condition for £150.
    i have the revolver and its dated 1992 i believe
    great revolver but not in the same leauge as the ruger
    if you are serious bp shooter them its the ruger everytime
    if you only shoot twice a years etc then get the pietta.
    a little tip about pietta 1858
    ypu can buy all parts forthem including hammers / cylinder stops / trigger/sear and index arm nut the tooling was changed around 1995 so revolvers like mine parts need fettling.
    i replaced all my parts but the cylinder lock stop will lock the gun up when fitted so i use the old part etc
    kranks have offered to look at it for me but i need to stay there whilst they look at it,,,,,just one of them things with the early revolver

I would definitely stick with the Ruger for the previously stated reasons. In my experience anyway, Uberti make the best of the affordable Italian replicas with only the far more expensive Pedersoli Remington 1858 replica possibly providing something better. I have two Uberti Remington 1858 replicas and have been entirely satisfied with both, but If I were restricted to one muzzle loading revolver, it would be a Ruger Old Army.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-07-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I've just looked in my reloading shed and found a Lee double-cavity mould for casting a 220gr conical - '.457cal for Ruger Old Army'. I can vaguely recall casting a few many moons back and that a. even with just a 30gr 3Fg load they had a very strong recoil, and b. they shot like a garden hose.

I got it originally for BP skittle shooting, which died the death when our range/club was kicked into oblivion by a -hating CO.
    That would be RAF Molesworth then.. I think we were members around the same time, and it may have been you that let me have a go with your .44 mag revolver...?

Daryll.

I keep hearing that the Ruger is no longer made and parts are an issue.
    In reality, is it likely to need parts and how hard would they be to get?
    Can I buy parts from the US and have them shipped to the UK?
    Could the parts that may need replacing be hand made in stainless steel (I have some metal working ability, lathe, milling machine etc).

If this gun is nice and solid at full cock (something I've been told to check), what are the chances of it being bad?

I do intend to shoot this arm at least once a month over an afternoon, so it will see regular shooting.

Thanks.

I keep hearing that the Ruger is no longer made and parts are an issue.
    In reality, is it likely to need parts and how hard would they be to get?
    Can I buy parts from the US and have them shipped to the UK?
    Could the parts that may need replacing be hand made in stainless steel (I have some metal working ability, lathe, milling machine etc).

If this gun is nice and solid at full cock (something I've been told to check), what are the chances of it being bad?

I do intend to shoot this arm at least once a month over an afternoon, so it will see regular shooting.

Thanks.
    only issue is the cylinder loading pin? not sure exact name but it can bend usually pilot error but apart from that bomb proof
    you can buy that part in stainless or blued version on eb@y too.
    nothings unbreakable but they are the best revolver by far
    Last edited by loiner1965; 21-07-2020 at 12:04 PM.

I have to disagree that they are bomb proof.

Someone at the club bought a ROA. The cylinder, when it is at full cock would not lock up tight, it could be moved about .020" in either direction of the barrel centreline.
    It was either badly worn internally, or had been bodged up by someone. I did not look at the slots on the cylinder itself but I don;t think they would have been worn. It had no accuracy at all probably because the ball was being shaved if the cylinder moved to one side when it was fired.

All that glitters is not gold, as they say.
    Anything you buy second hand needs to be checked thoroughly. It is too late once you have parted with your hard earned dosh.

Okay, lets just put this thing to bed and we can move on
    Let's be frank and open here about the ROA, and be done with it.
    I am sorry Tac, I didn't know that you were a 'Mod' here and were given the job of keeping threads to a certain length.
    I'll do as you say and stop posting on this matter as instructed.
    Sorry.

I am sorry Tac, I didn't know that you were a 'Mod' here and were given the job of keeping threads to a certain length.
    I'll do as you say and stop posting on this matter as instructed.
    Sorry.
    I think tac is commenting that it has run its course and can get longer than it needs to be without gaining anymore useful input.

A mod? I would not have thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I think tac is commenting that it has run its course and can get longer than it needs to be without gaining anymore useful input.

A mod? I would not have thought that.
    No, I'm not a mod, but as Mr enfield2band notes. I don't think that there is anything more to add.

Buy it or don't - for sure somebody else will step into the line. There are no more ROAs except used.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    No, I'm not a mod, but as Mr enfield2band notes. I don't think that there is anything more to add.

Buy it or don't - for sure somebody else will step into the line. There are no more ROAs except used.
    totally agree......if sound and 100% working order buy it.....you wont regret it

I have been to the shop again to look, but due to a lack of knowledge I'll not be buying it.
    I don't want to risk my money or slot on my certificate.
    For those interested, it is £400.
    I've noticed Henry K have 4 in stock from £400-£695, so can't be all that rare or cheap.

I have been to the shop again to look, but due to a lack of knowledge I'll not be buying it.
    I don't want to risk my money or slot on my certificate.
    For those interested, it is £400.
    I've noticed Henry K have 4 in stock from £400-£695, so can't be all that rare or cheap.
    All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....