Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....
    From post 39
    I have to disagree that they are bomb proof.

Someone at the club bought a ROA. The cylinder, when it is at full cock would not lock up tight, it could be moved about .020" in either direction of the barrel centreline.
    It was either badly worn internally, or had been bodged up by someone. I did not look at the slots on the cylinder itself but I don;t think they would have been worn. It had no accuracy at all probably because the ball was being shaved if the cylinder moved to one side when it was fired.

All that glitters is not gold, as they say.
    Anything you buy second hand needs to be checked thoroughly. It is too late once you have parted with your hard earned dosh

Tac,

All you have told me is that Your gun has been running for 30 odd years with no issue and because of that they are ALL good.

Please tell me if you have inspected the gun I've been offered?

If no, how can you know it's condition?

Are you seriously telling me you can tell the condition of every gun in the world ever made because yours is OK?

I have had PM's giving me some advice about what to look for, and once that information was relayed, the people contacted couldn't help me.

This gun has slop in the Barrel at full cock, it has rust pitting that's been cleaned out and it has vice/clamp marks in the body.
    Also the story changed as to how the shop got it twice. Once it was an old guys and he had a heart attack before he could shoot it (so it's new) the second time the story was the police had it for 5 years.

If I had some proper help, I could make a decision, but with no knowledge on this gun, and no club member to help me. I'm not going to sell a load of my personal stuff to buy an unknown and take up the last space on my certificate. You may have money to throw away and lots of empty spots on your licence, But I do not, I'm really sorry about that!

I'd love to buy it, but I can't take the risk with no info on what to look for.
    Are you going to drive over to south Wales and help me out, I doubt it!
    I'm still waiting for you to get me the info you promised you'd get me about a scope from about 2 years ago, YES I STILL REMEMBER!

I'm shaking my head as well !
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 21-07-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    Tac,

All you have told me is that Your gun has been running for 30 odd years with no issue and because of that they are ALL good.

Please tell me if you have inspected the gun I've been offered?

If no, how can you know it's condition?

Are you seriously telling me you can tell the condition of every gun in the world ever made because yours is OK?

I have had PM's giving me some advice about what to look for, and once that information was relayed, the people contacted couldn't help me.

This gun has slop in the Barrel at full cock, it has rust pitting that's been cleaned out and it has vice/clamp marks in the body.
    Also the story changed as to how the shop got it twice. Once it was an old guys and he had a heart attack before he could shoot it (so it's new) the second time the story was the police had it for 5 years.

If I had some proper help, I could make a decision, but with no knowledge on this gun, and no club member to help me. I'm not going to sell a load of my personal stuff to buy an unknown and take up the last space on my certificate. You may have money to throw away and lots of empty spots on your licence, But I do not, I'm really sorry about that!

I'd love to buy it, but I can't take the risk with no info on what to look for.
    Are you going to drive over to south Wales and help me out, I doubt it!
    I'm still waiting for you to get me the info you promised you'd get me about a scope from about 2 years ago, YES I STILL REMEMBER!

I'm shaking my head as well !
    Goodnight, Mr Chiponshoulder. Back on the ignore step for you, Sir.

Goodnight, Mr Chiponshoulder. Back on the ignore step for you, Sir.
    Yes and the very same to you, you arrogant piece of work!

Please Note,
    Tac has now removed most of his comments, so nobody can see what he wrote on this topic!
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 21-07-2020 at 11:11 PM.

if you were unsure about the revolver then you did the best thing and walk away.
    as you say you have found a few more so they are about.
    staff at henry kranks are excellent and will help you out if needed.
    i needed a main spring for an obsolete calibre remington 1871 rolling block pistol and i couldnt find one anywhere.
    i took the old brased up one in to kranks and spoke to ken who found one from an uberti replica he had in stock.
    it wasnt the same but could be made to fit.....asked him for price
    he said you need to heat it / bend it and re anneal etc sp if you break it which is quite possible then sling it in bin no charge......if it works then pop back in a few weeks and pay for it........it worked
    back to your thread again...... dont be put off by this revolver as they are the best out there....
    need any help then pm me

All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....
    I could be partly to blame for this. Because Mr Chip Shoulder thought you were a mod and he could not post anything else on the thread he sent me a PM.

This:-
    I checked that just now, there was some play I could see and feel, but it wasn't exactly slopping about. Having just reread your comment, I only checked one cylinder !!! Bugger!
    I did take a video of the one cylinder I checked. There were also marks on it that looked like cleaned up rust pitting and vice clamping marks! Also the metal was marked a bit around the nipples as if the cylinder had been catching as it rotates? This can also be seen in the video.
    So not sure, I expect no, I see that HK also have one in stock at the same £400 price.

I sent this reply:-
    Hi, You can sometimes expect a little bit of rust on an older gun, especially blackpowder, so long as it is not deep and appears to have been badly neglected. I would be wary of any gun with vice marks. Why has it been in a vice? Anyone who is competent would have used lead sheet or thick leather to clamp it up to avoid damage.
    The nipples should not be binding anywhere. You do get a line on well used pistols where the locking pawl drags along the cylinder between the locking lugs while it is rotating, but that is normal.
    I cannot decide this for you I'm afraid it is up to you. But from what you have told me I would look for something else.
    I hope this helps.

It might have been better if he had started a new thread with the question about the condition of the gun and what to look for.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 22-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Thank you Loiner,

The quality of the Ruger Old Army has never been in doubt after you guys had told me they are the best, and indeed, I could feel the quality in my hand in the shop. The problem was with this actual gun, it had suspicious marks and some play where I was told there should be none.

If there had been a person I trust by my side to check to gun over, I'd have bought it without a second thought, but unfortunately this is/was not the case and as you say, if in doubt, walk away. If I had just bought it blind because a forum member told me to and it turned out to be junk, I'd be stuck with an old obsolete gun needing fixing with no spares backup. I'd also be £400 down, not be able to sell it or shoot it and I'd have lost the only place on my certificate for a 44 revolver, so buying a second 44 revolver would not be an option until this one was gone (or fixed).

I have looked at Krank and GunStar/Trader and there are a good few listed for about the same money, so I have options. By the sound of what I read, BP pistols are falling on hard times now, and the values are falling by the day. I don't 'need' a BP revolver, I'd just like one, so as they say, you never know what tomorrow will bring?

I have given some thought to the Remmy I was offered the other day, I trust the seller and it's only £150. By the seems of it, even £150 is too much these days, but the gun is exactly what I'd have wanted if I were buying a Remmy 1858 and the seller says it's tight, mint and basically new. I CAN afford to loss £150, so there is no real risk here, so this maybe my best option until a better Ruger comes along, and it will one day.

Who knows what is hiding away in my club members gun safes

I've got a Ruger safe queen; bought it after the owner died after hardly ever using it at all, I had first option on it & took it. Never fired it myself and will probably sell it this year to someone local.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I've got a Ruger safe queen; bought it after the owner died after hardly ever using it at all, I had first option on it & took it. Never fired it myself and will probably sell it this year to someone local.
    Is that a sideways offer to me?

If yes, feel free to PM me.

Thank you Loiner,

The quality of the Ruger Old Army has never been in doubt after you guys had told me they are the best, and indeed, I could feel the quality in my hand in the shop. The problem was with this actual gun, it had suspicious marks and some play where I was told there should be none.

If there had been a person I trust by my side to check to gun over, I'd have bought it without a second thought, but unfortunately this is/was not the case and as you say, if in doubt, walk away. If I had just bought it blind because a forum member told me to and it turned out to be junk, I'd be stuck with an old obsolete gun needing fixing with no spares backup. I'd also be £400 down, not be able to sell it or shoot it and I'd have lost the only place on my certificate for a 44 revolver, so buying a second 44 revolver would not be an option until this one was gone (or fixed).

I have looked at Krank and GunStar/Trader and there are a good few listed for about the same money, so I have options. By the sound of what I read, BP pistols are falling on hard times now, and the values are falling by the day. I don't 'need' a BP revolver, I'd just like one, so as they say, you never know what tomorrow will bring?

I have given some thought to the Remmy I was offered the other day, I trust the seller and it's only £150. By the seems of it, even £150 is too much these days, but the gun is exactly what I'd have wanted if I were buying a Remmy 1858 and the seller says it's tight, mint and basically new. I CAN afford to loss £150, so there is no real risk here, so this maybe my best option until a better Ruger comes along, and it will one day.

Who knows what is hiding away in my club members gun safes
    my pleasure and i glad to be of service....
    now i do own a mint pietta 1858 NMA and i be honest here rob they are not in the same division as the ruger.
    great fun and can be accurate esp the pedersoli version but again different price range.

Is that a sideways offer to me?

If yes, feel free to PM me.
    In your circumstances, I think a replica Remington 1858 might be the perfect introduction to muzzle loading revolvers . The Italian replicas are usually fine, especially as a starter and to gain experience before maybe upgrading to something more upmarket and consequently more expensive later on. As I said in an earlier post, the Ruger is a heavy revolver for single handed precision shooting, whereas the lighter Remington can be held steady for much longer. I would however only consider a Remington replica rather than a Colt should you decide to go down that road.

Good luck with your quest and be sure to let us know how you get on.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    In your circumstances, I think a replica Remington 1858 might be the perfect introduction to muzzle loading revolvers . The Italian replicas are usually fine, especially as a starter and to gain experience before maybe upgrading to something more upmarket and consequently more expensive later on. As I said in an earlier post, the Ruger is a heavy revolver for single handed precision shooting, whereas the lighter Remington can be held steady for much longer. I would however only consider a Remington replica rather than a Colt should you decide to go down that road.

Good luck with your quest and be sure to let us know how you get on.
    Brian
    I'm fine with weight As I've spent time on these guns before.
    It is precision target shooting I want, that's what our club is.
    I've won single handed pistol comps in the past (air).
    All my arms are high end, this Ruger will in fact be my cheapest
    I have quite a few hours on muzzle loading revolvers (not mine)
    I have been shooting muzzle loading firearms for the last 2 years and I own 5 already (pistol, Fowler and rifle)
    I can feel the quality of the Ruger and I can hold it still perfectly fine.
    I have shot much bigger metallic case revolvers in the past and actually out shot it's owner

I'll be fine with a Ruger, just need help finding one that is known to be of good quality/condition.

I'm fine with weight As I've spent time on these guns before.
    It is precision target shooting I want, that's what our club is.
    I've won single handed pistol comps in the past (air).
    All my arms are high end, this Ruger will in fact be my cheapest
    I have quite a few hours on muzzle loading revolvers (not mine)
    I have been shooting muzzle loading firearms for the last 2 years and I own 5 already (pistol, Fowler and rifle)
    I can feel the quality of the Ruger and I can hold it still perfectly fine.
    I have shot much bigger metallic case revolvers in the past and actually out shot it's owner

I'll be fine with a Ruger, just need help finding one that is known to be of good quality/condition.
    in my opinion......buy a stainless steel revolver
    friend at club prefers blued guns and they are mint but stainless is best.
    the pietta 1858 as small grips and not the best handling revolver but they can be shooters and just as good as the ruger but not where quality counts

I went to the dealer today who had the mint condition 1858, the gun was very nice, but in my mind my heart was set on the Ruger.

I told him about the Ruger I'd been offered and how I didn't know what it's condition was like, so he pulled out his brand new, nu-shot Ruger from his safe and let me have a feel

I immediately put it to full cock and felt for play, it had exactly the same as the one I'd been looking at!!

So I politely declined his 1858 down, turned tail and bought the Ruger that started this thread!

I've now pulled it apart (couldn't do that in the shop!) and checked the bore and all the workings, and everything is in order

So I now have Ruger and can't wait to shoot it, just got to get a 457 ball mould now.

Thanks.

I went to the dealer today who had the mint condition 1858, the gun was very nice, but in my mind my heart was set on the Ruger.

I told him about the Ruger I'd been offered and how I didn't know what it's condition was like, so he pulled out his brand new, nu-shot Ruger from his safe and let me have a feel

I immediately put it to full cock and felt for play, it had exactly the same as the one I'd been looking at!!

So I politely declined his 1858 down, turned tail and bought the Ruger that started this thread!

I've now pulled it apart (couldn't do that in the shop!) and checked the bore and all the workings, and everything is in order

So I now have Ruger and can't wait to shoot it, just got to get a 457 ball mould now.

Thanks.
    lol........right pm address and i will sort the conical mold out for you to try.
    thing is rob if you dont handle them often or know exactly whats right or not then its hard .
    i just made myself look a tit this week when testing my tacs out for my brocock me38 magnum.
    all my good tacs fill up lovely with no leakage even though they are 20 year old.
    set up a safe place to shoot through a chrono and when it did decide to work each tac was shooting 120 fps
    every one was more or less cock on and they even shot poi.
    thought it could be the led indoor lights on top of defusers giving a false reading.....the label on the chrony led screen says FPS but i worked these speeds out to 400 fps if it was measuring in MPS.
    unfortunately my hearing is blocked so i cannot hear the report too well so i was convinced its mps but not fps etc.
    looked for manual online and it says if they is a dot between the A and L when flashing then its MPS lol.

never used chrono before even though i had it years lol
    happens to all of us
    in my opinion you have bought the better revolver and they are a joy to shoot.....keep us informed

Thanks.
    I can bring some 457 down on Wed morning and your wax if you can get there. (sorry just checked- 454!)
    Last edited by DesG; 25-07-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi