Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HW50 - velocity expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    OK I have a couple of these, one in each calibre.

I want the .177 to do 10.5 fpe. What do I need to do? I have both the leather and a spare synthetic seal piston.

I was thinking to get a Vortek spring and fit an Original Diana adaptor and synthetic seal.

Can't see the point in this at 8 fpe, my 30S can nearly do that.
    I can understand where you're coming from, Alistair, and that there are probably ways and means of achieving what you point out.

However, PERSONALLY, I wouldn't be chasing high power with this lovely, sweet shooting and getting increasingly rare, middleweight. I'd be adding a 99 to the collection, which will easily achieve your target power and remain very pleasant to shoot. Widely and economically available, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'd be adding a 99 to the collection, which will easily achieve your target power and remain very pleasant to shoot. Widely and economically available, too.
    Hi Tony, my suggestion would be to hold out for a mk1 Hw50 but if you already have one be happy with what you've got.

The Hw99 is overrated, I bought one when they first came out, was unhappy with it and it stayed in my gun cab for over 10 years in parts.

All Hw need to do with the 99 is fit a one piece cocking link but until them, it is a problematic rifle.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Hi Tony, my suggestion would be to hold out for a mk1 Hw50 but if you already have one be happy with what you've got.

The Hw99 is overrated, I bought one when they first came out, was unhappy with it and it stayed in my gun cab for over 10 years in parts.

All Hw need to do with the 99 is fit a one piece cocking link but until them, it is a problematic rifle.
    Well, as regards my current HW menagerie, I have an early HW50 which could do with a minor fettle when I get the chance to rid the twang. Rekord trigger ready to fit, too.

I have two 99Ss....one in each of the main calibres. Love them to bits. I know you'll appreciate that the "galling" thing's been done a million times but some are fine. Some need sorting. I agree that it shouldn't have to be done, but to give one a wide berth over this potential issue is to deny one's self a sweet shooting, accurate and forgiving lightweight. I steered clear for quite some time and gave in to my curiosity 7 years ago and haven't regretted it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Couldnt agree more, that would be a really good gun.

Yes it would be superb. Maybe a little too close to the '95, though? However, for just a small amount of re-engineering the forend bracket and stock.....

Or, as our Mick, T20, once informed us, maybe just a simple re-jigging of the cocking link pivot position in the breech block would suffice, thus retaining the shorter cut-out on the underside of the stock?

Either would do.