Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Custom BSA Standard

Interesting Custom BSA Standard

Start at 7:00 minutes into this UTube. Forgive him he doesn’t know much about air rifles.

https://youtu.be/n2sGUAzmruc

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Start at 7:00 minutes into this UTube. Forgive him he doesn’t know much about air rifles.

https://youtu.be/n2sGUAzmruc

Beautifully made stock and with a scope rail I wonder what longer range accuracy can be achieved.If only BSA had put as much time and effort into designing a decent trigger for their pre-war air rifles as they did the rest of the gun!

Superb, that stock shows a real 19th century German/Austrian influence. I'll bet it would be a joy to use for bell target if it fitted the shooter.

It appears to be an early .22 standard with the two hole trigger block. These triggers were not easily adjustable, and the trigger pull weight was set at the factory.

Lovely stock, with definite Germanic/Austrian influences. Very well carved by the look of it. A previous owner clearly though a great deal of the gun, and lavished a lot of work into it . Also like the blanking plates on the sight dovetails.

Nice thing !

If he makes a habit of handling it like that cocked, it's going to rap his knuckles sooner or later ...

Neatly added scope mount but I don't care for the excessively hangy- downy pistol grip . Nice though..

Horribly butchered classic air rifle IMHO. I stopped watching after just a few seconds as the bluing looks refinished too.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I stopped watching after just a few seconds as the bluing looks refinished too.

John
    That's the thing that would put me off. In the USA, they always seem to refurbish stuff to a much higher standard than when new, using modern methods and it never looks right. I like the craftsmanship of the stock and being a replacement , it can always be replaced with original if required. It was evidently done by an owner for a purpose.
    I have a 43" model with a PH dovetail rail fitted , evidently a very long time ago and I just class that as an evolution , much the same as old British motorcycles, most have been modified over the years in some way.

screen cap

Last edited by Garvin; 22-07-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Horribly butchered classic air rifle IMHO. John
    I agree !

I recognize that rifle.
    It was sold by a Canadian gun shop just a couple months ago, after being for sale for quite some time as a "custom BSA".
    If not the same gun, it was an absolutely identical twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    I agree !

I recognize that rifle.
    It was sold by a Canadian gun shop just a couple months ago, after being for sale for quite some time as a "custom BSA".
    If not the same gun, it was an absolutely identical twin.
    What were they asking? I agree it is hard to get used to but would love to see how it feels to shoot. It’s certainly a well crafted stock? Wonder if it was crafted over here by the German descendants that keep Schuetzen shooting matches alive? Could practice during the winter?
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-07-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    What were they asking? I agree it is hard to get used to but would love to see how it feels to shoot. It’s certainly a well crafted stock? Wonder if it was crafted over here by the German descendants that keep Schuetzen shooting matches alive? Could practice during the winter?
    Amish work on the stock? That scope rail looks like a Weaver TO type from the 1960s or 70s

There is something very discordant (disturbing IMO) seeing something so relatively modern attached to something so old. The stock-maker was undoubtedly skilled and Tyrolean stocks were all the rage from the 1950s to circa the '80s, but I get the same reaction as when looking at a vintage-car-turned-drag-racer -- mixing two different eras of design and manufacture seems unnecessary to me and disrespectful to the original maker, who produced something that was the very best available at the time when it was made and stands the test of time in it's own right.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There is something very discordant (disturbing IMO) seeing something so relatively modern attached to something so old. The stock-maker was undoubtedly skilled and Tyrolean stocks were all the rage from the 1950s to circa the '80s, but I get the same reaction as when looking at a vintage-car-turned-drag-racer -- mixing two different eras of design and manufacture seems unnecessary to me and disrespectful to the original maker, who produced something that was the very best available at the time when it was made and stands the test of time in it's own right.
    But it isn't mixing up 2 different eras. that style of stock was and is, popular on the continent from at least as early as the 1850s up to the present day. At the time the rifle was built, the stock would have been common on many continental target rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    But it isn't mixing up 2 different eras. that style of stock was and is, popular on the continent from at least as early as the 1850s up to the present day. At the time the rifle was built, the stock would have been common on many continental target rifles.
    I agree, below is a quote from another forum on the origin of the Tyrollean Stock. I think you could more easily say it was out of place in the 1950-80s? It’s just our minds are used to seeing it there in the Airgun world.

“ I think the Tyrolean stock originated in the 1800's on the old Schuetzen rifles which were accurate black powder guns mainly used for target shooting. Had nothing to do with airguns originally, just adopted into their design.”

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Not on airguns and certainly not with a scope (assuming that's what the rail was for)!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery