Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Custom BSA Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not on airguns and certainly not with a scope (assuming that's what the rail was for)!
    But there is a large Schuetzen following in the US with many clubs. Yes iron sights and telescopic. This is very true of New York that borders Canada. Just wonder if this was the influence? If I was a Schuetzen competitor a air rifle could keep me shooting year round?

https://youtu.be/eewbF0-gfDM
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-07-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    What were they asking? I agree it is hard to get used to but would love to see how it feels to shoot. It’s certainly a well crafted stock? Wonder if it was crafted over here by the German descendants that keep Schuetzen shooting matches alive? Could practice during the winter?
    IIRC, they originally started out at $799.00 CDN.
    It sold after the second price reduction, at $599.00 CDN.

I admire a well executed Tyrolean stock, however I find that stock to be grotesque looking.
    But just goes to show you, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", hence, "different strokes for different folks".

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    IIRC, they originally started out at $799.00 CDN.
    It sold after the second price reduction, at $599.00 CDN.

I admire a well executed Tyrolean stock, however I find that stock to be grotesque looking.
    But just goes to show you, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", hence, "different strokes for different folks".
    Interesting I never thought of looking for a BSA Standard or possibly Webley Service in Canada? Maybe better odds and I can ship to the US from Canada. Have done it it the past.

Interesting I never thought of looking for a BSA Standard or possibly Webley Service in Canada? Maybe better odds and I can ship to the US from Canada. Have done it it the past.
    It is quite surprising what occasionally turns up here, just a matter of being there at the right time, right place, and cash at hand.

It is quite surprising what occasionally turns up here, just a matter of being there at the right time, right place, and cash at hand.
    Border is now closed because of our COVID-ness!

But there is a large Schuetzen following in the US with many clubs. Yes iron sights and telescopic. This is very true of New York that borders Canada. Just wonder if this was the influence? If I was a Schuetzen competitor a air rifle could keep me shooting year round?

https://youtu.be/eewbF0-gfDM
    I quite like the look of Schuetzen rifles. They have things like elaborate trigger guards and diopters so while they are 'Germanic', solidly-built, and bring to mind bierkellers (sp?) and leather-covered tankards, they also look 'of their time'.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

From my perspective, as an individual piece the stock is admirable only it doesn't hold any attraction for me.

As an assembly it is an ugly composition. It is nigh on a crime in my opinion..

If you wish to scope an old classic such as that BSA, Trevor M has an example that is sympathetic to the era - if there is such a thing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45k/
    Last edited by slow_runner; 23-07-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Totally cool! I have seen these and always thought they were interesting rifles. Just a pain to get everything in order to actually shoot one?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Yes that's exactly the sort I was thinking of.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A gentleman and fellow collector spotted this thread and he also recognized the "custom" BSA.
    He was a friend of the former owner and was able to provide me some background on the rifle, which I thought would be interesting to share here.

The first item of note is the scope rail. It was not mounted there to allow the use of a scope or any other sight. It is there to cover over the aborted attempts by someone to, and I quote, "chisel in a dovetail". The main tube was so badly buggered that all that could be done was to cover it up as best possible, and the addition of the scope rail did just that.

The stock originally came on another BSA rifle. Since this gun was considered less desirable due to the forced "repair" noted above, the previous owner mounted the home-made Tyro stock to this rifle, and removed the original BSA stock to re-mount to the other, much nicer BSA. The Tyro stock was made by a fellow in south-western Ontario, Canada.

It is interesting to trace the provenance of some of these old airguns, even if you only manage to go back a decade or two.

A gentleman and fellow collector spotted this thread and he also recognized the "custom" BSA.
    He was a friend of the former owner and was able to provide me some background on the rifle, which I thought would be interesting to share here.

The first item of note is the scope rail. It was not mounted there to allow the use of a scope or any other sight. It is there to cover over the aborted attempts by someone to, and I quote, "chisel in a dovetail". The main tube was so badly buggered that all that could be done was to cover it up as best possible, and the addition of the scope rail did just that.

The stock originally came on another BSA rifle. Since this gun was considered less desirable due to the forced "repair" noted above, the previous owner mounted the home-made Tyro stock to this rifle, and removed the original BSA stock to re-mount to the other, much nicer BSA. The Tyro stock was made by a fellow in south-western Ontario, Canada.

It is interesting to trace the provenance of some of these old airguns, even if you only manage to go back a decade or two.
    There are a few guns I wish could tell me a little of their story

A point of minimal interest : surely "Zimmerschuetzen" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    A point of minimal interest : surely "Zimmerschuetzen" ?
    I think you're right!

Totally cool! I have seen these and always thought they were interesting rifles. Just a pain to get everything in order to actually shoot one?
    Even more of a pain in the UK where a firearms certificate would be needed to finally be able to pull the trigger on a live round on one of these!