Thread: Webley mk3 Smoothbore

Webley mk3 Smoothbore

Hi all, I’m new to this Forum.
    Just in the process of restoring a mk3 and upon inspecting the barrel realised that in fact it’s a smoothbore and I have noticed that there is a letter ‘S’ stamped on the underside of the barrel.
    Have many of you knowledgeable lot come across this much before?

Regards

Matt

Hi and welcome,
    The s stamp I had on a airsporter and I found out it was for export to Ireland.
    [url]www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

Smoothbore Webleys were offered to markets where rifled arms were prohibited, even airguns. They are not that common, so you have done well finding one.

John

Thanks people.
    That’s interesting to hear. At first when I noticed I was a little disheartened as I am sure this will affect the accuracy? But I shall see how it performs, hopefully I’ll still be able to hit something!

Quote Originally Posted by mattwhit333 View Post
    Thanks people.
    That’s interesting to hear. At first when I noticed I was a little disheartened as I am sure this will affect the accuracy? But I shall see how it performs, hopefully I’ll still be able to hit something!
    Hi Matt,

This has always intrigued me and if you are able to shoot some groups, I'd be interested in your results. I'm sure the accuracy will be acceptable at usual open sighted distances.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

I will certainly keep you updated. At the moment it’s in bits and bare metal. I was lucky enough to machine a new tap lever so all parts complete now.

Fingers crossed

Also worth a look, some smoothbores were also stamped with a black powder mark. Again depending on the country it was going to; the mark is an old one from 1926 I think which makes folk wonder a bit as the MKIII certainly wasn't around then. If the serial number is later than 44370, PM me and I'll see if I can date it for you.

You should get more fps with less energy expended following the rifling twist.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Also worth a look, some smoothbores were also stamped with a black powder mark. Again depending on the country it was going to; the mark is an old one from 1926 I think which makes folk wonder a bit as the MKIII certainly wasn't around then. If the serial number is later than 44370, PM me and I'll see if I can date it for you.
    Pm sent

WEbley MK111

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    I have No 880 if you could possible date that for me many Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    I have No 880 if you could possible date that for me many Thanks Mark
    If your Ser No really is that low (880), it would have been one of the first Mk3s to have been produced circa 1948-1949.

Brian

Hi guys, two fold response; first Mark as stated No 880 would have been one of the first produced; as such does it have as I would expect; the two stage trigger and the first version loading tap, which is completely different to the later version. Superb example and a very early example, bit jealous really.
    Second Matt; your gun was made in block 3 of 6 blocks of ten [std Webley production method, most guns made in blocks or batches of ten] block listed as A3861-70; made weekending 14/11/1970 all listed as .22 S/B. As I said before, depending on where it was going, it may also have a black powder mark which was put on some guns, a look at the Birmingham Proof House proof marks will show the 1926 black powder mark to look for on your gun if it has it. The confusion which still exists is why 1926 and why black powder, my chats with the proof house hasn't helped myself or them, as there seems to be no records about his phenomenon.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    abellringer Ray

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    You should get more fps with less energy expended following the rifling twist.

Baz
    ..and better sealing....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.