Thread: Original Remington New Model Navy.

Original Remington New Model Navy.

I shoot replica Remington 1858 Muzzle Loading revolvers, but have always had a urge to own an original example and maybe shoot it albeit sparingly. Having a bit too much time to spend surfing the internet during lockdown, I final succumbed to the temptation of the original Remington .36 calibre New Model Navy pictured in the links below.
    Although It was reasonably priced, buying anything sight unseen can obviously be a bit risky. Anyway, when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the condition it appeared to be in later confirmed with a complete strip down and inspection. I have a very old and tired replica .36 Colt 1851 Navy on my FAC so I am planning to maybe apply for one on one off variation to put the Remington on the ticket for very occasional use. If I do decide to go ahead with this, I will use only light loads of BP rather than a substitute partly for safety reasons, but mainly as a mark of respect to the guns ancestry. I have done a bit research and established that the Remington was part of one the last batch delivered to the US Navy in December 1864 just before the Civil War ended.

https://imgur.com/JXXGe5z

https://imgur.com/9KZ5wVa

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 26-07-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I shoot replica Remington 1858 Muzzle Loading revolvers, but have always had a urge to own an original example and maybe shoot it albeit sparingly. Having a bit too much time to spend surfing the internet during lockdown, I final succumbed to the temptation of the original Remington .36 calibre New Model Navy pictured in the links below.
    Although It was reasonably priced, buying anything sight unseen can obviously be a bit risky. Anyway, when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the condition it appeared to be in later confirmed with a complete strip down and inspection. I have a very old and tired replica .36 Colt 1851 Navy on my FAC so I am planning to maybe apply for one on one off variation to put the Remington on the ticket for very occasional use. If I do decide to go ahead with this, I will use only light loads of BP rather than a substitute partly for safety reasons, but mainly as a mark of respect to the guns ancestry. I have done a bit research and established that the Remington was part of one the last batch delivered to the US Navy in December 1864 just before the Civil War ended.

https://imgur.com/JXXGe5z

https://imgur.com/9KZ5wVa

Brian
    Whooohoooo! Great envy is mine, Sir!!! Stick to loads of REAL BP at around 16gr of 3Fg and you should be just fine. Say hello back on the other forum, too!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    It is permitted to fire an antique off ticket for testing purposes (deffo not competitions). Dunno if this has ever been put to a court. I do see the occasional original at my muzzle loading club and some of them are off ticket. Might be a tad tricky if the NRA jobsworths decide to pull a check so prolly best to avoid Bisley.

Enjoy!
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

To shoot a s58 off ticket is illegal. The acquisition and possession of a firearm under s58 is for obsolete firearms to be owned as an ornament or curio. For a firearm to be used in anyway in the U.K. will place that firearm in a category requiring certification, in this case s1.

Should you be discovered shooting a s58 off ticket, you would be guilty of an offence of unlawful possession of a s1 firearm as the purpose you had that firearm at that time was not as an ornament or curio.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    To shoot a s58 off ticket is illegal. The acquisition and possession of a firearm under s58 is for obsolete firearms to be owned as an ornament or curio. For a firearm to be used in anyway in the U.K. will place that firearm in a category requiring certification, in this case s1.

Should you be discovered shooting a s58 off ticket, you would be guilty of an offence of unlawful possession of a s1 firearm as the purpose you had that firearm at that time was not as an ornament or curio.

I have looked at "Guidance" and it seems that you are correct. I am pretty sure it used to be allowed for testing purposes but it seems that has changed.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

very nice indeed....
    i think the early remingtons were 1 in 16 twist as the replicas are 1 in 30

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post

Hello,
    Although some of the laws and guidance regarding firearms ownership in the UK are a bit over the top to say the least, I would always be sure to abide by them and would certainly not shoot the Remington if it were not listed on my FAC.
    Brian

All the more reason to get it on and get shooting.

With care, that is.

It's hard to see the justification in needing to put a s58 on ticket just to fire once in a blue moon just for fun when you already hold an fac and bp licence et al for far more powerful weapons. But then you see these piss takers insuring a beat up old banger with an "all other vehicles not owned etc" clause and proceed to drive around in a souped up racer which they could never afford to insure which "belongs to a friend".
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Nice!

Chambers of even the 36cal Remingtons are roomy, to say the least. With a roundball or ogive both they´ll handle 30 grains easy.
    ..and yes. If the gun is sans cracks or damages it will take it with ease too.

Just for reference.

Test Purposes??

I have to say I would be very wary of relying on the old wives tale that you can shoot the gun on the odd occasion for 'test purposes'. I have a couple of original revolvers including a .44 cal Remington that was fired by the previous owner but most of the local MLAGB competitions insist that the gun used is on your FAC, certainly any of the International competitions would insist on this. Whether or not you would need to have it proofed to do this is a question I can't answer but no doubt someone better informed can tell you. The only thing that might make a difference is that it seems almost all Firearms Departments interpret the rules differently, well, Thames Valley definitely do....
    Just out of interest, I owned a .36 Remington Uberti reproduction and despite some serious work it wouldn't group to save your life. Needless to say, it's no longer with me