Thread: The worst sales video I have seen in the US

The worst sales video I have seen in the US

Here is a fellow that has a business selling high end WW2 era firearms and collectibles. He gets a BSA air rifle as part of a lot and he is totally lost. This is typical over here I think and why I like to buy air rifles from gun shops, they just want to get rid of them. My favorite bit of misinformation is that BSA never had any military contracts they just made air rifles! As well wanting to load more than one pellet? It’s really hard to count the total number of misstatements. This rifle sold yesterday on a auction site for $605 which actually is not bad over here.

Start at 1.30 - 6.40 (if you can take it that long)

https://youtu.be/tZcpR3q4OQ8
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-07-2020 at 02:02 PM.

The worst sales video I have seen in the US

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Here is a fellow that has a business selling high end WW2 era firearms and collectibles. He gets a BSA air rifle as part of a lot and he is totally lost. This is typical over here I think and why I like to buy air rifles from gun shops, they just want to get rid of them. My favorite bit of misinformation is that BSA never had any military contracts they just made air rifles! Awesome as well wanting to load more than one pellet? It’s really hard to count the total number of misstatements. This rifle sold yesterday on a auction site for $605 which actually is not bad over here.

Start at 1.30 - 6.40 (if you can take it that long)

An amusing video, his ignorance knows no bounds....lol.

I read that many early BSA/LJ air rifles were returned to the factory as defective due to a failure of the user to understand the correct cocking procedure. If a pellet was loaded and the tap closed before cocking the rifle as in this video, the pellet would be sucked back through the transfer port into the chamber. On firing the now empty rifle, the piston would slam forwards with the pellet becoming embedded in the soft leather piston washer most likely causing major damage to the seal.

An amusing video with many incorrect statements, but given that the presenter himself admits to not knowing what he is doing, it's forgivable with the history and operation of these of old air rifles probably being a mystery to many on the other side of the Atlantic.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 27-07-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Painful!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

My favorite bit of misinformation is that BSA never had any military contracts they just made air rifles!

Chuckle. According to Wikipedia and relating to ww2 only:

During the course of the conflict BSA produced 1,250,000 Lee–Enfield .303 service rifles, 404,383 Sten sub-machine guns, 468,098 Browning machine guns plus spares equivalent to another 100,000, 42,532 Hispano cannon, 32,971 Oerlikon cannon, 59,322 7.9 mm Besa machine guns, 3,218 15 mm Besa machine guns, 68,882 Boys Anti-tank guns, 126,334 motorcycles, 128,000 military bicycles (over 60,000 of which were folding paratrooper bicycles), 10,000,000 shell fuse cases, 3,485,335 magazines and 750,000 anti-aircraft rockets
    Daimler (BSA subsidiary) also made armoured vehicles including the Daimler armoured car and the Dingo scout car. Not bad for a company without military contracts !
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Chuckle. According to Wikipedia and relating to ww2 only:

Daimler (BSA subsidiary) also made armoured vehicles including the Daimler armoured car and the Dingo scout car. Not bad for a company without military contracts !
    Question is, would BSA have made air rifles at all if the company had not had large military contracts? IIRC they only settled on air rifles at all when casting around for work to keep the large factory/workforce busy during a period of reduced military activity between the Boer and WW1 wars.

4th October 1905

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think I read that BSA after WW1 was the largest arms manufacturer in the World? Anyway this fellow’s expertise seems to be German Pistols of WW2 and seems to have a good business driven by his internet presence? Just amazing to me that his “expertise” can be so narrow as to not know of BSA? His focus is on the Nazi era which seems to command the highest prices but to me that “obsession” is a bit disturbing.

Speechless---again!

He said you can adjust the power higher or lower by adjusting the screw thats interesting, i would like to know how that works lol.

Are these still permitted in England? After 10 years on this forum I thought they were compulsory! Or that's what I've told my wife.

I don't know if he achieved heights or depths of ignorance but there was plenty of it. 10 minutes research would have been sufficient.

I too hate to see Nazi artefacts. It's almost as if its encouraging them. Forgive if you must but don't forget.

Rant over. Breakfast beckons, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I think I read that BSA after WW1 was the largest arms manufacturer in the World? Anyway this fellow’s expertise seems to be German Pistols of WW2 and seems to have a good business driven by his internet presence? Just amazing to me that his “expertise” can be so narrow as to not know of BSA? His focus is on the Nazi era which seems to command the highest prices but to me that “obsession” is a bit disturbing.
    I entirely agree. I was very surprised when I went to a large military vehicle show recently how much original and repro nazi (and I don’t mean German I mean Nazi) stuff was on sale. It may be because in much of Europe it is illegal to sell it, but it did not sit happily with me I must say.

Anyway, if BSA were not the largest small arms (the clue is in the name ) manufacturer in the world at some point they can’t have been far off.
    Morally flawed

" I make a lot of money flogging stuff to other ignoramuses in the Greatest Country In The World, and what I don't know isn't worth knowing."

The information is all out there and available in seconds . So many are still by their willful ignorance giving out poor and potentially injurious advice.

The man couldn't even be arsed to clamp the conversion tube properly in the Luger , and he had the instructions in front of him !

A very nice rifle though, in spite of his ludicrously unsafe handling . I was hoping he'd shoot a hole in his back door to teach him a lesson, but you can't have everything...

I was after the rifle and looked on his Website he listed it for $1500! The final bit of ignorance. That lasted for 2 months then $1200. Finally on to the auction.