Thread: .44 reloading for rifles

.44 reloading for rifles

I'm looking to reload my .44 brass for my Marlin rifle, I'll be using 240gn RNFP bullets.
    Due to the availability of powders in my area. I'm not willing to travel a million miles for my choice of powders.
    I would like to try out different powders, so if you have any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    First you should decide what you want from your reloaded rounds. Max energy or max accuracy or (if on an indoor range) min velocity consistent with accuracy? At what range?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Find out what powders are available in the area. Then go to the manufacturer's website for their latest reloading data and decide on that which powder to buy for what you want to achieve. Best accuracy will be in the 1250 - 1400 fps range which is easily and economicaly met with the various medium/fast shotgun/ pistol powders.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    First you should decide what you want from your reloaded rounds. Max energy or max accuracy or (if on an indoor range) min velocity consistent with accuracy? At what range?
    Above is your first step..

boff180 Guest
    Opposite of the above, myself and friends after testing have found that for accurate target loads for ranges up to 100 metres, it is best to keep your 44mag loads subsonic.

I personally use 7.8 grains of Viht N32C with a cast 240grain RNFP and this load is extremely accurate.

This load has a muzzle velocity of around 1,050fps on my 1894 Cowboy.

The bulk of N32C means that it fills a substantial amount of the case aiding consistency.

Andy

Using a 240gr RNFP you’ll find a sweet spot somewhere between 8 and 10 grains of Unique, if a reduced load for accuracy is what you’re after.

Cheers
    Greg

The beauty of the .44 magnum is that it can be loaded sedately at 850fps for excellent gallery loads out to 50yds, or hit almost 1800fps for out to 300 nicely. Incidentally would be deer legal in England and Wales!

Reloading can be for the enjoyment, the sometimes cost saving, availability and a number of other reasons. But, versatility is right up there! Not knowing what it's for, hamstrings the conversation somewhat.

Target Sports 2003 Had a 5 page article on .44 re loading

PM me with your email address and I'll send 'em if you wish.

I'd post a sample here, but for some reason I cannot...

Dave

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Find out what powders are available in the area. Then go to the manufacturer's website for their latest reloading data and decide on that which powder to buy for what you want to achieve. Best accuracy will be in the 1250 - 1400 fps range which is easily and economicaly met with the various medium/fast shotgun/ pistol powders.
    Depends on the range you need it to work at. For accuracy it is necessary to avoid transonic velocities as this can destabilise the bullet. Start it out subsonic and this is not an issue assuming that you can get the desired range - say 700 - 800 fps. If you need more range then you need to go well supersonic so that it is still supersonic all the way to the target. .44 mag will never be good at ranges above around 300 yards because of this, and never was it expected to - it is after all a pistol calibre.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL