Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw35 open sights

Hw35 open sights

I've just bought a 1965 HW35 and I'm going to have a go at restoring it.
    It has no open sights on it, would the ones from a modern 35 fit and if not, is there an alternative?
    It has the original leather piston seal which still seals well. Would I be better getting an adapter and fitting a modern seal?
    I have had a little play with it and it is a very mild mannered gun although I didn't chrono it before I pulled it apart. The spring is about 7.5" long and there are 2 washers that add another .5" so there was very little preload.
    Looking forward to turning it into a looker.

Gary, good luck with the project. I did a 1966 HW35 a couple of months back.

Firstly, check the transfer port, if it's under 3mm, it'll probably take a new synthetic piston seal, which will improve shot cycle and power. If the port is 4mm, I'd leave it on a leather seal, as the adaptors tend to be steel and add weight whilst reducing stroke, meaning you'll struggle for power and get a slammy shot cycle. The open sights are pretty common, but the older style rear sight only has two fixing holes and relies on machining on the top of the breech to help alignment. I'll look in my spares for a rear sight and PM you if I find anything.

That looks really nice.
    The tp on mine is 4mm so I'll leave as is. The stock has no cheekpiece so it's ambi' which suits me being cackhanded. It has 2 holes for the rear sight and I've measured the dovetails on the barrel at 8mm for the foresight.
    I'm going to enjoy this one.
    If you do find anything in your spares box that I need I'll gladly pay you for them.

Hw35

If you need period open sights and a new 35 piston let me know. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If you need period open sights and a new 35 piston let me know. Mach 1.5
    I may well take you up on the sights Paul, thank you. I have quite a small collection of parts bought from you now.

http://imgur.com/a/gSQeO5R
    http://imgur.com/a/7EQNHvK
    The spring is 190mm long with an id of 14.5mm and an od of 21.2mm and the piston's id is about 24.8 so there's around 1.5mm of play all the way round. Is this spring ok or so I need to replace it, and if so what would be my best option?
    I have no experience with leather seals so I dont know if this is good or not but it seems to hold pressure when I put my finger over the tp and pull the piston back. Do I try to degrease it and soak it in neatsfoot oil or shall I leave as is?
    Thanks for your help.

Gary, I had a look in my spares and I only have the newer rear sight, though I do have a front sight?

Regarding the piston seal, the one pictured looks pretty good. You might want to soak it in neatsfoot before refitting, don't degrease it though, as the dryness of the leather is what causes poor sealing and brittleness. The spring sounds like a newer version, as the springs around that time were the 15.6mm i/d, so my guess is the previous owner bought a new spring and guides, as I believe the new ones run on this configuration.

Red face

[QUOTE=CapitalBee;7909238]Gary, I had a look in my spares and I only have the newer rear sight, though I do have a front sight?

Please accept my apologies, I have forgotten your name, I think it's Mark but I'm not sure.
    Paul (Mach 1.5) has kindly sent me some open sights so I am ok now
    I'll take the seal off and soak it in neatsfoot oil and hopefully that will be job done.
    The spring guide is part of the the trigger block (Is this normal?) and is 14.5mm diameter which makes a snug fit for the current spring. I think I will get a new spring but not sure which way to go, Titan say No 4 but I'm not sure if that's for the modern 35, I'm thinking about getting a No 14 and cutting it down but with the wire being over 4mm it may be too stiff. What do you think?
    Last edited by gtfreight; 01-08-2020 at 04:32 PM.

[QUOTE=gtfreight;7909252]
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Gary, I had a look in my spares and I only have the newer rear sight, though I do have a front sight?

Please accept my apologies, I have forgotten your name, I think it's Mark but I'm not sure.
    Paul (Mach 1.5) has kindly sent me some open sights so I am ok now
    I'll take the seal off and soak it in neatsfoot oil and hopefully that will be job done.
    The spring guide is part of the the trigger block (Is this normal?) and is 14.5mm diameter which makes a snug fit for the current spring. I think I will get a new spring but not sure which way to go, Titan say No 4 but I'm not sure if that's for the modern 35, I'm thinking about getting a No 14 and cutting it down but with the wire being over 4mm it may be too stiff. What do you think?
    The guide has been customised if it is part of the block, as the original guide would have been 15.6mm and would have been steel, with the base formed by cutting the tube and forming it into a crucifix base. It looks like you'll have to go with the 14.5mm i/d spring, but it isn't the No.4, which historically was the larger diameter. I think the 14.5mm is the new hw35 spring. Glad you're sorted for open sights.

Gary, you're correct, it is Mark.

[QUOTE=CapitalBee;7909260]
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post

The guide has been customised if it is part of the block, as the original guide would have been 15.6mm and would have been steel, with the base formed by cutting the tube and forming it into a crucifix base. It looks like you'll have to go with the 14.5mm i/d spring, but it isn't the No.4, which historically was the larger diameter. I think the 14.5mm is the new hw35 spring. Glad you're sorted for open sights.

Gary, you're correct, it is Mark.
    Thanks for your help Mark. I'm now intrigued regarding the guide being a customised part. I can't send a picture as I have sent it off to have the metalwork refinished. When it comes back in about a month I'll let you see it.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 01-08-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Do not get the adapter / conversion.. gives you a very short stroke, and too much weight, so slammy.

Either leave as is, or get a newer style piston with synthetic seal, which has a longer stroke than the leather seal, and shoots noticeably better. You can machine the older leather piston to take a synth seal too.

I'd say if you are using open sights only, just run it at 9 or 10 FP and leave as leather. If you really need 11, go longer stroke synthetic.

Also, I'd not mess around changing the spring yet, until you've shot it. It may be very nice as is ! Just use a piston sleeve (plastic drinks bottle) to take up all that space.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Do not get the adapter / conversion.. gives you a very short stroke, and too much weight, so slammy.

Either leave as is, or get a newer style piston with synthetic seal, which has a longer stroke than the leather seal, and shoots noticeably better. You can machine the older leather piston to take a synth seal too.

I'd say if you are using open sights only, just run it at 9 or 10 FP and leave as leather. If you really need 11, go longer stroke synthetic.

Also, I'd not mess around changing the spring yet, until you've shot it. It may be very nice as is ! Just use a piston sleeve (plastic drinks bottle) to take up all that space.
    Hi Jon,
    I had a little play with it at the seller's house and it only had a slight twang. As far as power is concerned I'm not hungry, I'd much rather have a nice shooting cycle. The TP is 4mm.

Hw35

If you need the new style piston with seal? Just ask. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If you need the new style piston with seal? Just ask. Mach 1.5
    I will bear this in mind but I'm going to try the original set up first and see how it goes. If I can't get on with it I will definitely take you up on your offer. Thank you.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Hi Jon,
    I had a little play with it at the seller's house and it only had a slight twang. As far as power is concerned I'm not hungry, I'd much rather have a nice shooting cycle. The TP is 4mm.
    Ahhh.. so with that TP you have to have the longer stoke if you go synth (shorter stroke via adapter will be horrible), but best stick to leather if you can...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.