Thread: Hw35 open sights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hw35 open sights

I've just bought a 1965 HW35 and I'm going to have a go at restoring it.
    It has no open sights on it, would the ones from a modern 35 fit and if not, is there an alternative?
    It has the original leather piston seal which still seals well. Would I be better getting an adapter and fitting a modern seal?
    I have had a little play with it and it is a very mild mannered gun although I didn't chrono it before I pulled it apart. The spring is about 7.5" long and there are 2 washers that add another .5" so there was very little preload.
    Looking forward to turning it into a looker.

Gary, good luck with the project. I did a 1966 HW35 a couple of months back.

Firstly, check the transfer port, if it's under 3mm, it'll probably take a new synthetic piston seal, which will improve shot cycle and power. If the port is 4mm, I'd leave it on a leather seal, as the adaptors tend to be steel and add weight whilst reducing stroke, meaning you'll struggle for power and get a slammy shot cycle. The open sights are pretty common, but the older style rear sight only has two fixing holes and relies on machining on the top of the breech to help alignment. I'll look in my spares for a rear sight and PM you if I find anything.

That looks really nice.
    The tp on mine is 4mm so I'll leave as is. The stock has no cheekpiece so it's ambi' which suits me being cackhanded. It has 2 holes for the rear sight and I've measured the dovetails on the barrel at 8mm for the foresight.
    I'm going to enjoy this one.
    If you do find anything in your spares box that I need I'll gladly pay you for them.

Hw35

If you need period open sights and a new 35 piston let me know. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If you need period open sights and a new 35 piston let me know. Mach 1.5
    I may well take you up on the sights Paul, thank you. I have quite a small collection of parts bought from you now.

http://imgur.com/a/gSQeO5R
    http://imgur.com/a/7EQNHvK
    The spring is 190mm long with an id of 14.5mm and an od of 21.2mm and the piston's id is about 24.8 so there's around 1.5mm of play all the way round. Is this spring ok or so I need to replace it, and if so what would be my best option?
    I have no experience with leather seals so I dont know if this is good or not but it seems to hold pressure when I put my finger over the tp and pull the piston back. Do I try to degrease it and soak it in neatsfoot oil or shall I leave as is?
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I've just bought a 1965 HW35 and I'm going to have a go at restoring it.
    It has no open sights on it, would the ones from a modern 35 fit and if not, is there an alternative?
    It has the original leather piston seal which still seals well. Would I be better getting an adapter and fitting a modern seal?
    I have had a little play with it and it is a very mild mannered gun although I didn't chrono it before I pulled it apart. The spring is about 7.5" long and there are 2 washers that add another .5" so there was very little preload.
    Looking forward to turning it into a looker.
    Hope this helps.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....35-open-sights

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for the link Ian but Paul (Mach 1.5) has come to the rescue regarding opens.
    My next dilemma is, what to do with the stock?
    A, Leave as is.
    B, Have a go myself and risk making a pigs ear out of it?
    C, Send it to Nath for "The Works"?
    I can see that it's been done in the past and it's ok with a couple of light marks which is to be expected. I'm not sure if the but pad is original as the fit to the stock isn't quite perfect.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to be putting more into this than the gun will be worth but it won't be the first gun that's happened to me and I still love the other.

http://imgur.com/a/pNmLlUI
    http://imgur.com/a/zXUOaeu
    http://imgur.com/a/5EYCWyG
    http://imgur.com/a/pbwCpBV
    Last edited by gtfreight; 02-08-2020 at 05:10 AM.

My next dilemma is, what to do with the stock?

B, Have a go myself and risk making a pigs ear out of it?

Have a go yourself! Get a gentle stripper and various grades of sandpaper and wire wool and strip it back to bare wood then make it as soft and smooth as a babys bum. Repair any damage then you can decide what finish you want to give it. This is one I did earlier, a plain boring beech '35 stock. :

and if I can do it anyone can.

HTH
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Have a go yourself! Get a gentle stripper and various grades of sandpaper and wire wool and strip it back to bare wood then make it as soft and smooth as a babys bum. Repair any damage then you can decide what finish you want to give it. This is one I did earlier, a plain boring beech '35 stock. :

and if I can do it anyone can.

HTH
    Ian
    That is lovely Ian. My stock hasn't got the grain to come out like that but if I have a go myself and do mess it up, I can always get it done properly plus there's no chequering which will make it a bit easier. Good shout.
    Is the one you've pictured an ambi' stock with no cheek piece like mine? I don't know if these are common or not.

That is lovely Ian. My stock hasn't got the grain to come out like that but if I have a go myself and do mess it up, I can always get it done properly plus there's no chequering which will make it a bit easier. Good shout.
    Is the one you've pictured an ambi' stock with no cheek piece like mine? I don't know if these are common or not.
    Its a standard '35 beech stock. You may not think theres any grain there until you have removed all the old finish then I usually wet it (several times between sandings ) and this will give you an idea what your playing with. I enhanced the grain with a bit of wood dye.

HTH
    Ian