Thread: HW80 Calber change .22 to .177 or .20?

HW80 Calber change .22 to .177 or .20?

I would like to add a HW80 to the airguns I have as I always wanted one but back when they first came out I was spending money on cars and bikes and chasing girls

There seem to be quite a few about for sale but mostly in .22

A lot of you guys tinker and swap things around buying parts like a replacement barrel from German on line retailers.

If I buy a .22 would I need to order anything other than a new .177 barrel (assuming I can get one) or possibly a .20 , are there any implications of just swapping these out? Shims or anything?

Have any of you ever on this?

You thoughts please?
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Physically i's a simple nut'n bolt job. Usually the muzzle energy will reduce if changing to smaller calibre which can be a good result.
    It may result in a softer/smoother cycle. In any case a power washer may bring it back up or simple spring change.
    Swapping the other way needs caution 'cos can easily be over limit.

Yep been and done all that, have .177, .22, and .25 on one of my 80's.
    As you lower the cal there will be a drop off on power as the .177 will be less efficient. The shims are the same, if ordering a new barrel you will need the spring, plunger, breech seal, and pin as it will be a bare barrel, secondhand and you might be lucky and get the lot.
    You will need to remove the rivet from the cocking link, so make things easier and get a Vmach removable pin, which means swopping back and forth the calibers will be easy.
    The barrel from the HW95/98 will also fit so that could be worth bearing in mind. Good luck with the '80 its a classic, I think everyone should have at least one!

https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/wp-co...AGW-SUMMER.pdf

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the replies, I hadn't thought about a power shift s a result of a barrel change but I guess it makes sense.

More interested in a smooth cycle than uber power these days.

PJ you look like you have a lot of tinkering behind you - have you seen a .20 in this ?

Who would any ideas of which retailer might deliver this without issues from Germany? Or better still the UK?

I've not to date owned the .20, but will be something to aspire to
    Chanbers gun makers sell a .20 barrel carbine, 410mm unthreaded for £118, but they are out of stock. One added complication will be that due to the VCR bill you can't just order one, but there is a way round it.
    If you send a barrel to Chambers they will send it back with the new one, its a bit convoluted but its either that or order through the local RFD.

I've a venom hw80 in .22 and its losses a fair bit of power when I fit the .177 barrel.

Did this earlier this year, i got the barrel direct from HC & it came complete, & at what i thought was a very good price

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I would like to add a HW80 to the airguns I have as I always wanted one but back when they first came out I was spending money on cars and bikes and chasing girls

There seem to be quite a few about for sale but mostly in .22

A lot of you guys tinker and swap things around buying parts like a replacement barrel from German on line retailers.

If I buy a .22 would I need to order anything other than a new .177 barrel (assuming I can get one) or possibly a .20 , are there any implications of just swapping these out? Shims or anything?

Have any of you ever on this?

You thoughts please?
    If you put a 20 or 177 barrel on a 22 80 , you'll need a slightly bigger spring, I do not recommend packing and weighting the 22 set up as you will not get the shot cycle achievable, a 22 spring 'weighted and packed' for 20 cal or 177 will be orrible
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Whatever you do to it, it will give your shoulder a fair thump there is sizeable piston flying around inside. Sleeving it down means its no longer an 80. With the right spring and guide they can be very accurate. Loved mine.
    mk2 rapid.22

I’d rather fancy an older 80 in .177 if I could find a nice one.

They don’t seem to come up very often as original left the factory .177

Or am I just too slow..?

I bought a new .20 barrel for my 80 from SWS, Straight swap..breech seal came with it...used my own shims etc.. fitted a ww spring and guide kit for a .22, red aussie seal and it shoots really nicely, still bedding in but a nice 10.65.....

Owning 80s in all flavours I'd say the .177 is the most addictive to shoot. I had to detune mine because it was edging over the limit. Anyway it kicks, bucks and jumps - but it isn't unshootable by any means. It is unforgiving though. You have to be at the top of your game. In the hands of a pcp shooter they will say its broken and needs work. In the hands of a seasoned springer shooter, you'll start dribbling and probably wet yourself.

In .20 its probably the nicest. Not much recoil but the firing cycle isn't as relaxed as in .22 which is why .22 sells the most probably.

In .25, well its just unique. So easy to cock a small child could do it. Very little recoil and very easy to be accurate as long as you follow through correctly.

I got a .177 barrel from SWS and it can complete with plunger, seal etc. I got myself a couple of spare barrel shims just in case as they are foil thin. Easy job to change over. Hardest part was getting the pin out of the cocking lever.

Guys.......

Thanks very much for the info and replies, greatly appreciated.

Thanks.