Thread: BSA Airsporter mk2 maintenance

BSA Airsporter mk2 maintenance

Just started on stripdown of a friends .22 to give it a once over and see what sort of condition it is internally, spring piston seal, tap seal etc. What are peoples thoughts on piston seals for these rifles, original leather or chambers o-ring type of replacement?
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

I would keep it standard including the spring. I love Airsporters but they are what they are an old design with some inherent design flaws (cleverly mitigated ones). They are never going to be a modern rifle. Keep it as original as possible and enjoy it for what it is---a very nice old air rifle. That is my opinion based on my experience others may think otherwise and are entitled to.

Well it's definitely a leather seal at the moment. Looks like theres a crack in the nylon carrier though.

http://imgur.com/a/uM93682

My understanding from those who know is stick to the original leather seal & spring type.

The ones I’ve had serviced professionally are really nice to shoot, just like they were 70 or so years ago which is what it’s about for me.

Never gonna be modern performance , but i like em for what they are.

Stay original.

I would definitely stick to the original leather seal set up some would say you get a power increase from the synthetic head and o'ring set up but its not the case.

Dave.

Thanks for all the advice folks. For the sake of satisfying my own curiosity I'm going to try both seal types just so I can feel the difference between them. Fully expecting given all your feedback that the leather will feel better, i.e. softer and less snappy, but it'll be some interesting tinkering for me.

For saying the rifle has a GE serial number prefix which I think puts its age between 55 - 57 years I thought it is in pretty good condition and certainly not the horror story inside like the BSA Mercury I was given earlier this year. My friend bought the airsporter from his dad so he had something to plink with in the back garden while his R10 went to Mr. Bowkett for a tune. He was offered the choice between the airsporter or an early HW77, which would have been my preferred choice, but he's got fond memories of BSA's as they were some of his first rifles as a kid. Sure he'll get many more happy years of shooting from it.