Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Licence free, What is an air rifle, What is a pistol?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    No, because then it would say a barrel under 300 AND is less than 600 overall, it says "either or" so if it passes one of them it's good but still not an air pistol.
    The sentence begins "Any air pistol....." so it only applies to air pistols. It then specifies if such an air pistol is over 6 fpe, is less than 300 barrel or less than 600 overall it is S5. The air pistol thus can become S5 because it is over 6 fpe and has a short barrel or is over 6fpe and is short overall. The sentence is in no way attempting to define pistol, it is simply explaining how such a thing can become a prohibited weapon.

If you have a thing which is not an air pistol then the sentence does not apply to it in any way. I can't believe that there is any difficulty in understanding this.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    There is no such thing as a s1 air pistol, if an air pistol has its barrel and/or stock lengthened to over 60cm total length (with a barrel over 30cm) its still classed as a pistol by law, you only get into trouble when you pass the 6 foot pound mark then it goes straight to section 5 and you go straight to prison, you do not pass go.
    You have seen the word Guidance, this is the problem, don't worry its not just you, police firearm licencing in different areas are the same, they interpret the laws differently but airgun power limits are set in stone, your air PISTOL regardless of the length of barrel or overall length, if over 6 ft lbs its section 5.
    If you still think there is such thing as a section 1 air pistol or to clarify the definition of pistol, then call the home office and ask them0
    I have no problem with a long firearm still being a pistol.

Imagine a long barrel air pistol, Barrel over 300 and overall over 600. I am perfectly prepared top concede that such a thing does not in fact exist at present, but we could make one. Agreed it is still an air pistol, just as my LBP is still a pistol.

Now up the power to 7fpe, It no longer benefits from the sub 6 exemption. It is not a small firearm so escapes S5. I can see no reason why it would not qualify under S1, in the same way that a 13 fpe air rifle qualifies under S1.

If you believe differently please help me to understand what aspect of firearms legislation would prevent such a thing being entered on a S1 certificate.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post

Imagine a long barrel air pistol, Barrel over 300 and overall over 600. I am perfectly prepared top concede that such a thing does not in fact exist at present, but we could make one. Agreed it is still an air pistol, just as my LBP is still a pistol.
    SMK do....it's called a CP2.
    Now up the power to 7fpe, It no longer benefits from the sub 6 exemption. It is not a small firearm so escapes S5. I can see no reason why it would not qualify under S1, in the same way that a 13 fpe air rifle qualifies under S1o why
    So why would it be S1? it's a legal?? sub 6 or 12 setup surely? thats why I bought mine??
    If you believe differently please help me to understand what aspect of firearms legislation would prevent such a thing being entered on a S1 certificate.
    Can't help you understand what the rest of the sodding country doesn't know!

This is gonna go in circles, I just know it!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post

Now up the power to 7fpe, It no longer benefits from the sub 6 exemption. It is not a small firearm so escapes S5. I can see no reason why it would not qualify under S1, in the same way that a 13 fpe air rifle qualifies under S1.

Because an "air weapon" has to be over 12fpe to be sect 1 also I think under S1 they are specifically identified as being Air Rifles.

To my mind your long barrelled air pistol would become an "air weapon other than an air pistol" & as such be legal up to 12fpe.

This like watching Trump struggle with graphs in a interview.

There is no definition of an air rifle or pistol in the legislation or guidance. All the legislation or guidance does is say if it is an air rifle or pistol then x y or z applies if something else like power and length applies. But first it needs to be defined as either pistol or rifle and nowhere does it say that air pistol = x y or z.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    This like watching Trump struggle with graphs in a interview.

Master Debater

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

To quote Rickie Lee Jones from 'Easy Money'

"Because there ain't no man
    Who got the money in his hand
    Who got any of that bread
    Bein' slow in the head"

This thread is dead.
    It's all been said.
    It's all been read.

Last edited by Antoni; 07-08-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Because an "air weapon" has to be over 12fpe to be sect 1 also I think under S1 they are specifically identified as being Air Rifles.

To my mind your long barrelled air pistol would become an "air weapon other than an air pistol" & as such be legal up to 12fpe.
    Well that's not what is written in guidance. It carefully skirts round the possibility of an air pistol over 6 fpe (or 12 if you prefer) but which is not prohibited under S5 by virtue of it's dimensions.

I am pretty sure that there is nothing in law to prevent the production of an S1 air pistol just as there is nothing in law to prevent the production of an S1 .357 revolver.

Why anyone would want such a thing is of course another matter.
    TANSTAAFL