Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is plastic now acceptable on airguns

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    There are many types of polymer. Some better than others. Most would not say the polymer on a Glock is poor. It is one of the best selling brand of handgun in the world.
    I read somewhere that tje glocks polymer has a 20yr lifespan.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Much as I like walnut and fine blueing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with good polymer, or, indeed modern protective metal finishes.

For the record, the SA80 was in military service designated the L85 series, and the first A1 variant was truly awful in almost every respect.

A major reason for service rifles moving from wooden to polymer stocks in the 50s and beyond was that sustained rapid/burst fire would actually set the front hand guards on fire. An issue to this day with older AKs, and the reason why back in the 70s and 80s you would often find British L1A1 SLRs with wooden butts and pistol grips, but polymer fore-ends.

None of which applies to airguns. But good polymer, used right, is great. Cheap plastic (think 70s Crosmans) isn’t the same thing.
    Apologies- you're right- L85!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    There's plastic and there's plastic ...
    That is true but even though I can find no fault with this front sight and it's strong / light and I quite like it I would still prefer
    metal, I wonder if it's my age

As an earlier poster stated, there is plastic and there is plastic. Some od weapons grade polymer is really tough if molded correctly and is usually more resistant to acids and alkalines than metal or woods erc.
    It can be made rigid where needed. It can be molded into shapes it is difficult to do with metal and wood etc. It can be made to be snap fit and replaceable at far less cost than other materials and usually a significant weight reduction too.
    It can have other materials inserted such as grip pads... or metal components.....
    There is no real 'practical' disadvantage to plastic if high grade polymer and issues like stress cracking is designed out.
    I have no problem whatsoever with plastic and I believe it can be dipped and cerakoted too.
    Yeah I get wood. I got wood.... gorgeous walnut. Laminate too but its a great material if its quality.
    If its not for you then there are still plenty of rifles with trad materials and plenty of custom makers for those bling bits or upgrades if you want it.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    There is world of difference between a cheap 'plastic' and an engineered polymer...

They have many advantages over some other materials, but their primary disadvantage is that they cannot be repaired very successfully in many cases.
    Once you get over that it's easier to accept their good points.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of plastic. When I bought my HW100 the first thing I changed was the plastic (polymer) trigger for a lovely Rowan Engineering one.
    There was nothing wrong with the HW trigger other than it was plastic, and it didn't make me shoot any better (I'm still crap), but it looks much better than the standard plastic trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    I have no problem whatsoever with polymers (FFS not 'plastic')Some years back I was lucky to own and shoot a Glock 22 (.40S&W, a very whacky round) I used this pistol for police pistol and IPSC comps. To this day every morning I look in the mirror when I shave and I'm not surprised that I haven't got a hole in my face because the slide never flew backwards off the frame when I shot my pistol ldgrin
    I actually saw this happen, late 80’s or early 90’s, whenever it was that Glock’s hit the UK market. My local RFD had one of the first, brought it to the range, retaining lugs in the frame sheared under recoil and the slide detached. Fortunately no injuries.

He put it back in its Tupperware box and returned it!

I'm not keen on seeing plastic used in gun construction, especially mouldings used as end-plugs and open sights. However I have to concede that ballistic grade resins are in common use for bullet firing pistols and military rifles, so it must be up to the job.

Internally there's not much in the way of alternative other than 'old school'leather for seals.

It's always the cheap option and when used on a gun reduces it's overall quality IMO.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    It's always the cheap option and when used on a gun reduces it's overall quality IMO.
    You wouldn't say that if you saw the price of injection moulds .

Quote Originally Posted by Harley_Steve View Post
    I have to admit that I'm not a fan of plastic. When I bought my HW100 the first thing I changed was the plastic (polymer) trigger for a lovely Rowan Engineering one.
    There was nothing wrong with the HW trigger other than it was plastic, and it didn't make me shoot any better (I'm still crap), but it looks much better than the standard plastic trigger.
    maybe you should ask Rowan to replace your finger and the neural network its cconnected too.

The plastic trigger on the 100 is absolutley fine. if you had said the S200, yeah I get your point....

A decent trigger blade makes a difference to a few. A decent trigger makes a difference to even more.

But high end plastics and polymers have a very valid place in the gun world.

Its the users mind that is more typically the weak link in the chain.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    You wouldn't say that if you saw the price of injection moulds .
    Also maintaining the moulds as some will only last for so long before needing replacement.