Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silencer Experiments

Silencer Experiments

Thinking about attempting to make a silencer, seen a few clips on U tube from an aluminum torch and baffles through to grannies rollers and scouring pads. But a fellow member mentioned that he'd heard that it can be done using a carbon fiber
    Fishing Pole butt.
    More of a shroud possibly but really interesting does anyone have any info or a link ?

I've got a carbon fibre silencer on an Gunpower Storm.
    It's very poor as a silencer & not recommended as a unit, but that's because of the small size & indifferent packing, I'm very impressed by the carbon fibre body, light as a feather & very rigid.

I'm going to make up a new one - bigger, with a bit more to the innards & still using carbon fibre tube for the body, if you don't have a fishing rod butt handy to butcher you can get the tube online at a bit of a price:
    http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Cate...rbon-Tube.aspx

I've only got beach rods, but if you have a fishing pole, from photos they look quite meaty at the butt, probably won't miss a few inches...

I have a carbon tubed silencer which has very similar baffles inside to any other silencer.

I also have an mfr with a shrouded barrel which is just a tube 3" longer than the barrel with around 1/4" air gap around the barrel to act as an expansion chamber for the air to prevent the "pop" escaping.

There's not much more I can say about them, my most effective silencers are generally just an empty tube to contain the expanding air blast.

You can buy 0.5m lengths of carbon tube, there was a thread recently mentioned them, maybe off the bay?

This is a much under researched subject I think, we all readily purchase what's available from the shops but I am looking for
    Whisper quiet if possible. And I'm ready for experimenting , I'll put up some pics in a few weeks if they turn out any good.
    Fishing poles can be had very cheap at car boot sales along with everything else needed.

most fishing poles have a taper to them which means each baffle would idealy be a different diameter, interested to see your results with any designs of baffles as i need to make some to drop into the end of a hw97 silencer, the original ones fitted are melted

If you are making a silencer for a pcp then adding in stuff like wire wool you ge in firearm silencers won't help. You just need one or more big chambers.

For a springer the reverse is technically true but the air has a lot less energy and water vapour in it than a firearm so stuff to absorb heat/energy might not work that effectively anyway.

Cubes rule. Make it big and it will work better.

The length of the chamber controls the frequency of sound that it will best attenuate, rather like organ pipes for low notes are longer than those for high notes. It's the same science, with different numbers.

If you want to control as much of the noise spectrum as you can, then you need additional chambers, and they need to be of different lengths that are not exact multiples of each other.

There is no substitute for cubes, as BB says. It's the expansion ratio from the bore of the barrel - or the hole in the baffle - to the internal diameter of the tube that controls how much reduction you will get. Making the hole in the baffle as tight a fit to the pellet size as your manufacturing ability will allow is a big factor.

This is my most successful one to date. http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...MG_0111res.jpg
    It has four chambers and is a reflex design; you can see the little ports at the back where much of the air vents.

PS I meant to add, it's close to 70mm diameter.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    If you are making a silencer for a pcp then adding in stuff like wire wool you ge in firearm silencers won't help. You just need one or more big chambers.

For a springer the reverse is technically true but the air has a lot less energy and water vapour in it than a firearm so stuff to absorb heat/energy might not work that effectively anyway.

Cubes rule. Make it big and it will work better.
    i had a gun power stealth for which i bought a massive silencer, looked fantastic, i thought that with the size of the silencer it would be more than capable of trapping the blast of air and quietening the stealth, it did not work! the internal volume of the (so called) silencer was that big it caused an echo, increasing the blast sound rather than muffling it!!!
    on the other hand a former work mate made a silencer for his air gun, at first i didn't notice it on the gun, on a closer look it looked like a barrel weight, until he pulled the trigger, all you could hear was the faint click of the action, he said that the hole in the baffles was just (and he did mean just) bigger than the pellet.
    in ww2 the welrod pistol had rubber washers with the central hole smaller than the bullet http://www.timelapse.dk/thesilencer.php to keep as much gas in the silencer for as long as possible

things to think about when building a silencer
    have a stiff rod the internal size of the barrel (.177 or .22) to aid the lining up of the baffles
    build the silencer on the gun, this will insure the baffles are aligned correctly when using the rod
    work out how much air the gun releases in to the barrel, then you can use this to work out the volume the silencer has to be (too small and the silencer will be overwhelmed and could be dangerous, too large and it will echo) it also means that the silencer is as small as possible
    make the holes in the baffles as small as possible
    you will have to experiment with how many baffles you need for your gun
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

As above. Size matters!

Again as above, fancy fillings don't contribute much and could even hurt.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

To further my statement about findind out how much air is released in to the barrel, (this is an eg as every gun is different) say your gun is regulated at 80bar and injects 3cc of air in to the barrel, the air expands as it wants to be at atmospheric pressure, so that 3cc of 80bar air will expand to 240cc, if you made a silencer that's only 150cc then it will be overwhelmed and could blow apart if not made "beefy" enough
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    i had a gun power stealth for which i bought a massive silencer, looked fantastic, i thought that with the size of the silencer it would be more than capable of trapping the blast of air and quietening the stealth, it did not work! the internal volume of the (so called) silencer was that big it caused an echo, increasing the blast sound rather than muffling it!!!
    on the other hand a former work mate made a silencer for his air gun, at first i didn't notice it on the gun, on a closer look it looked like a barrel weight, until he pulled the trigger, all you could hear was the faint click of the action, he said that the hole in the baffles was just (and he did mean just) bigger than the pellet.
    in ww2 the welrod pistol had rubber washers with the central hole smaller than the bullet http://www.timelapse.dk/thesilencer.php to keep as much gas in the silencer for as long as possible

things to think about when building a silencer
    have a stiff rod the internal size of the barrel (.177 or .22) to aid the lining up of the baffles
    build the silencer on the gun, this will insure the baffles are aligned correctly when using the rod
    work out how much air the gun releases in to the barrel, then you can use this to work out the volume the silencer has to be (too small and the silencer will be overwhelmed and could be dangerous, too large and it will echo) it also means that the silencer is as small as possible
    make the holes in the baffles as small as possible
    you will have to experiment with how many baffles you need for your gun
    Thanks for this input ! Makes a lot of sense.

what are cubes?
    and can you elaborate on the design for springers - if I understand, one large empty chamber is best?
    Donald

Cubes are capacity like cubic centimeters or inches.

One or two big chambers should work best. I have one of those 240mm long cheap silencers that has been converted to a reflex design. It it quiet enough that pigeons ignore it.

Carbonology....do good sturdy woven tubes...the rest...a lathe ,delrin ,aluminium and Boots for curlers...pink and yellow....and the magic word ..concentricity.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

These are a few that i've made with the "hair curler technology" and x3 delrin baffles. proper smooth finished carbon and not the cheap wrapped spiral taped on looking stuff, yukk.

Yukky carbon=

Not as quite yet as the HW mod but nearly there, i'm about to have a go at making some K type baffles to see if they are any better.

Atb,Woody.