Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Registration?

I doubt the police would have the time , resources or inclination for any licensing.

What would be the benefit of it anyway.

Cyclists now that’s another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    I doubt the police would have the time , resources or inclination for any licensing.

What would be the benefit of it anyway.

Cyclists now that’s another matter.
    They didn't in Scotland either, but that made no difference.

Just wait until there's an Incident where some kid gets seriously hurt; they'll suggest it then and also come out with some Statistics from Scotland showing what a great improvement it has made to safety up here. It won't matter a damn if it's all lies; they are politicians after all! Mark my words, England will follow Scotland again!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    They didn't in Scotland either, but that made no difference.

Just wait until there's an Incident where some kid gets seriously hurt; they'll suggest it then and also come out with some Statistics from Scotland showing what a great improvement it has made to safety up here. It won't matter a damn if it's all lies; they are politicians after all! Mark my words, England will follow Scotland again!
    Or maybe we ( the powers ) will learn a lesson from Scotland ?

The population difference is enormous .

Aye, the population is denser in England!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    https://youtu.be/FEeoKBLj89s

This sheds a bit more light on current machinations in the direction of an Offensive Weapons Bill 2.0. If it gets any traction we could be seeing a Scottish style system applied in England and Wales - joy.

The police don't want it but it appeases the Karens and Kyles that do, and will vote for it. Also, registration with payment = revenue for the exchequer, just what's needed right now after a monster giveaway.

Start writing to your MP to prevent it even gaining traction.

Jerry

I resemble that remark .

You've not met many Scots then?

There have been rumours of either an airgun ban or a registration system every other year since the mid 90's
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Exactly what the police will want now just as they're stretched as thin as ever, having to deal with millions of airgun registrations A few more pressing matters at the moment anyway.

Discussed this very subject while at a RFD yesterday, All it needs is the decision to be taken as every thing is in place, He was adamant it is coming and soon, as it is revenue driven...

Quote Originally Posted by Batcher View Post
    Discussed this very subject while at a RFD yesterday, All it needs is the decision to be taken as every thing is in place, He was adamant it is coming and soon, as it is revenue driven...
    Its apparently a money loser in Scotland with 500,000 claimed airguns . Don't forget that does not mean that everyone of those 500,000 are owned by 500,000 seperate people . Some collectors have 100s in their collections .

It was expensive to resource. A number of police officers, including senior, had to be dedicated to the new licensing regime and make decisions in relation to suitability, refusal etc. Police Scotland has limited resources, so moving staff from frontline duties to air weapon licensing was not ideal.

From SACS

It is estimated that there are 4 million users of air guns and 7 million air guns in circulation in E&W.

Now imagine the costs for registering all them compared to Scotland's 500,000

https://www.sacs.org.uk/news/airgun-...0communication.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Its apparently a money loser in Scotland with 500,000 claimed airguns . Don't forget that does not mean that everyone of those 500,000 are owned by 500,000 seperate people . Some collectors have 100s in their collections .

It was expensive to resource. A number of police officers, including senior, had to be dedicated to the new licensing regime and make decisions in relation to suitability, refusal etc. Police Scotland has limited resources, so moving staff from frontline duties to air weapon licensing was not ideal.

From SACS

It is estimated that there are 4 million users of air guns and 7 million air guns in circulation in E&W.

Now imagine the costs for registering all them compared to Scotland's 500,000

https://www.sacs.org.uk/news/airgun-...0communication.
    Apparently scotland is still processing the applications from when it brought in airgun licencing, England's farmers relays on air gunners to do pest control for free, if farmers had to pay for the services of air gunners then the cost if food will sky rocket.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

difficult

pretty difficult to buy an airgun in Scotland now, you go to a shop and have to select from their stock and pay what they demand. when the local police came to do my shotgun,firearms and new air weapon renewal they admitted they had not a clue on how to fill the air weapon application in as all they did was send it to Glasgow. When I buy a new airgun, I wait until I'm down in England now

Quote Originally Posted by fman View Post
    pretty difficult to buy an airgun in Scotland now, you go to a shop and have to select from their stock and pay what they demand. when the local police came to do my shotgun,firearms and new air weapon renewal they admitted they had not a clue on how to fill the air weapon application in as all they did was send it to Glasgow. When I buy a new airgun, I wait until I'm down in England now
    Given your Area then they may not sell many airguns other than cheap ones . It would have been the same before the AWL came in .

An rfd in an area like yours may not sell many and having £500 and up priced airguns on the shelf may never sell so its a risk they take .

There is plenty of RFD's in other areas of Scotland in the same situation if they are outwith the central belt . They may sell more licensed firearms like Rimfire and Centerfire or shotguns than airguns given the area (rural, farming with syndicates) .

The one next to me had little to no airgun stuff when I first moved here other than a few SMK or older webley and bsa airguns and they are one of only a few RFD,s in Aberdeenshire . they and the other sell mostly shotguns and powder burners .

Transport costs is another issue in rural ares of scotland https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...est-of-the-uk/

I can buy my bullets cheaper in Armadale (livelines) than I can from the RFD 5 mins from my door . The Rfd near me claimed transport costs bumped the prices up . Livelines confirmed it when i asked them if my RFD was at it and they said no . They get clobbered for transport costs too but not as bad as my local RFD.

Two tyres to Inverbervie £6.95 postage . Same two tyres to Inverurie £26.95 postage . Once you hit Aberdeen the prices goes way up .

Your RFD will be in the same situation he will be paying more transport cots than most in England will .

The AWL has not made it difficult for you , Transport costs and the shops risk on having pricey dead stock items on the shelf have .
    Last edited by bighit; 14-08-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Apparently scotland is still processing the applications from when it brought in airgun licencing, England's farmers relays on air gunners to do pest control for free, if farmers had to pay for the services of air gunners then the cost if food will sky rocket.
    I have not heard if they are still processing them now.

We wont know till next year how many have applied for one as you can still hold them you have a SGC and FAC until the renewal of the SGC and FAC . next year is five years from when the AWL came in .

With no airguns being listed on the AWL they will not know how many of the claimed 500,000 are licensed so the media will no doubt claim there is 100,000's unlicensed airguns in Scotland .

They won't care that collectors may have 100s in collections and they will be held by people with an AWL .

for example 350,000 could be held by collectors and the rest by target shooters and pest control people who may have 2 or more airguns .

The Media will just go by the amount of AWL's applied for and subtract that from the 500,000 and say that number are still out there unlicensed
    Last edited by bighit; 14-08-2020 at 11:55 AM.