Thread: Whiscombe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Whiscombe

Hi, looking for any available help. I would like aa copy of a Whiscombe rifle owners manual, sub 12 ft/lb preferably. I have been asked to look at a rifle which is cocked but won't fire. The owner is well used to the gun so there's no mistake about the double cocking technique. From one shot to the next; ok ;then fail. ???
    I have already spoken to two really helpful guys, who have sent and given some info. Basically, the cocking lever will move almost fully open, a little extra travel and there's a couple of clicks; and the safety becomes set. Close the cocking lever, safety on - - fine; safety of - - the really faintest single click; no discharge. Given the guns huge value and the fact that no mechanical parts are available, I don't want to trip something I shouldn't and cause unrepairable damage. I've been informed reliably that with 4 mainsprings at fully cocked there's some 600lbs of energy/force trapped within the gun.
    Any help really gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Hi, looking for any available help. I would like aa copy of a Whiscombe rifle owners manual, sub 12 ft/lb preferably. I have been asked to look at a rifle which is cocked but won't fire. The owner is well used to the gun so there's no mistake about the double cocking technique. From one shot to the next; ok ;then fail. ???
    I have already spoken to two really helpful guys, who have sent and given some info. Basically, the cocking lever will move almost fully open, a little extra travel and there's a couple of clicks; and the safety becomes set. Close the cocking lever, safety on - - fine; safety of - - the really faintest single click; no discharge. Given the guns huge value and the fact that no mechanical parts are available, I don't want to trip something I shouldn't and cause unrepairable damage. I've been informed reliably that with 4 mainsprings at fully cocked there's some 600lbs of energy/force trapped within the gun.
    Any help really gratefully received.
    If the gun is cocked make absolutely sure there is a pellet in the breech at all times and the gun stored such that if it discharges no injury can occur,if the gun is dry fired it will destroy the pistons!I cannot help with a diagram and am not sure that one exists although John Whiscombe would have had blueprints presumably.

What model Whiscombe is it, fixed barrel or barrel tipper.

Fixed barrel. JW 60 MKII. Guns owner says it worked fine then from one shot to the next, nothing !!!???. It's cocked properly, the cocking arm opens almost all the way open without resistance; then a small further movement gives a couple of ''clicks'' and sets the safety. Safety moves ok, pull the trigger and there's just one really very faint ''click''; but not firing. Given the value of the gun, my first Whiscombe repair ever and no parts , plus the huge forces trapped inside, I'm being ultra cautious, any help greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Fixed barrel. JW 60 MKII. Guns owner says it worked fine then from one shot to the next, nothing !!!???. It's cocked properly, the cocking arm opens almost all the way open without resistance; then a small further movement gives a couple of ''clicks'' and sets the safety. Safety moves ok, pull the trigger and there's just one really very faint ''click''; but not firing. Given the value of the gun, my first Whiscombe repair ever and no parts , plus the huge forces trapped inside, I'm being ultra cautious, any help greatly appreciated.
    Have you got in touch with Nurek by way of a pm.He as a vast knowledge on the Whiscombe rifles.
    Les..

Video on stock removal that does show some of the internals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dol5hINvyZU

Hi, only just got to look at forum, thanks a lot I'll get in with touch him. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Have you got in touch with Nurek by way of a pm.He as a vast knowledge on the Whiscombe rifles.
    Les..