Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiscombe

Whiscombe

Hi, looking for any available help. I would like aa copy of a Whiscombe rifle owners manual, sub 12 ft/lb preferably. I have been asked to look at a rifle which is cocked but won't fire. The owner is well used to the gun so there's no mistake about the double cocking technique. From one shot to the next; ok ;then fail. ???
    I have already spoken to two really helpful guys, who have sent and given some info. Basically, the cocking lever will move almost fully open, a little extra travel and there's a couple of clicks; and the safety becomes set. Close the cocking lever, safety on - - fine; safety of - - the really faintest single click; no discharge. Given the guns huge value and the fact that no mechanical parts are available, I don't want to trip something I shouldn't and cause unrepairable damage. I've been informed reliably that with 4 mainsprings at fully cocked there's some 600lbs of energy/force trapped within the gun.
    Any help really gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Hi, looking for any available help. I would like aa copy of a Whiscombe rifle owners manual, sub 12 ft/lb preferably. I have been asked to look at a rifle which is cocked but won't fire. The owner is well used to the gun so there's no mistake about the double cocking technique. From one shot to the next; ok ;then fail. ???
    I have already spoken to two really helpful guys, who have sent and given some info. Basically, the cocking lever will move almost fully open, a little extra travel and there's a couple of clicks; and the safety becomes set. Close the cocking lever, safety on - - fine; safety of - - the really faintest single click; no discharge. Given the guns huge value and the fact that no mechanical parts are available, I don't want to trip something I shouldn't and cause unrepairable damage. I've been informed reliably that with 4 mainsprings at fully cocked there's some 600lbs of energy/force trapped within the gun.
    Any help really gratefully received.
    If the gun is cocked make absolutely sure there is a pellet in the breech at all times and the gun stored such that if it discharges no injury can occur,if the gun is dry fired it will destroy the pistons!I cannot help with a diagram and am not sure that one exists although John Whiscombe would have had blueprints presumably.

What model Whiscombe is it, fixed barrel or barrel tipper.

Fixed barrel. JW 60 MKII. Guns owner says it worked fine then from one shot to the next, nothing !!!???. It's cocked properly, the cocking arm opens almost all the way open without resistance; then a small further movement gives a couple of ''clicks'' and sets the safety. Safety moves ok, pull the trigger and there's just one really very faint ''click''; but not firing. Given the value of the gun, my first Whiscombe repair ever and no parts , plus the huge forces trapped inside, I'm being ultra cautious, any help greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Fixed barrel. JW 60 MKII. Guns owner says it worked fine then from one shot to the next, nothing !!!???. It's cocked properly, the cocking arm opens almost all the way open without resistance; then a small further movement gives a couple of ''clicks'' and sets the safety. Safety moves ok, pull the trigger and there's just one really very faint ''click''; but not firing. Given the value of the gun, my first Whiscombe repair ever and no parts , plus the huge forces trapped inside, I'm being ultra cautious, any help greatly appreciated.
    Have you got in touch with Nurek by way of a pm.He as a vast knowledge on the Whiscombe rifles.
    Les..

Video on stock removal that does show some of the internals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dol5hINvyZU

I have a copy of an old guide to stripping down a JW50 somewhere if this is of any use. I will try to hunt it out if you want it- let me know and I will scan it and try to send you a copy
    Mark
    Last edited by MarkV; 12-08-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Hi, only just got to look at forum, thanks a lot I'll get in with touch him. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Have you got in touch with Nurek by way of a pm.He as a vast knowledge on the Whiscombe rifles.
    Les..

Yes many thanks, I watched the video, but had already been warned that given the age and possible dryness in the stock, splits are not uncommon. I've had more help on this and am proceeding with the owners permission to go ahead and take the risk. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Video on stock removal that does show some of the internals.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dol5hINvyZU

Mark hi haven't been able to get on forum for a while; yes please a copy would be great; I'm slowly amassing lots of drawings and bits of info; as yet nothing seems to point to a solution, so a strip down guide would be great. Can you e mail it to ray210645@yahoo.co.uk please.
    Really grateful. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    I have a copy of an old guide to stripping down a JW50 somewhere if this is of any use. I will try to hunt it out if you want it- let me know and I will scan it and try to send you a copy
    Mark

Hopefully just sent to you

Mark

lovely guns i had a chance to buy one years ago i did not and always regret it

Ray, did you receive the strip article I sent you last week ?

Hi guys, many, many thanks for the input, drgs, instruction sheets. Also thanks for the reference to NUREQ; as it happens I didn't need to contact him, but will keep his name to hand.
    Finally got it sorted, with help of course, especially to Craig for the telephone conversation, whilst I tried to solve the problem, also to Dave Welham for his input too.
    Gladly nothing was broken. This was certainly a puzzler; after many tries and confusion, the instinct kicked in, and I started to mull things over from my conversations with Dave and Craig, and the diagrams I have.
    First confirmed oddity, I had a grubscrew where the front trigger guard screw should have been; due to lack of knowledge I wasn't aware of this screw. So that came out with no ill effect. The trigger mech was full of moly grease with ''bits'' in it, a pad of this had formed on the bottom of the safety and was blocking the let off.
    Degrease, dry, light lube; looks and sounds better; try; fires; SUCCESS!!!! next shot - - - nothing ???? Going back to instructions re set the trigger to ''default''.
    Oops the trigger adj screw fell out; too short???? Brainwave the grub screw in the wrong place is longer, swap; oooohhhh success; more success!!!!. then think, this too short screw! I hadn't got a screw in the trigger stop hole, fit this one yeahhhhh, works perfectly.
    So with lots of help, a little gut instinct and much trial and error - - - finally have it working. The owner is over the moon, I'm happy to have solved the problem, which happened so suddenly from shot to shot.
    Again many thanks guys, team effort, great result all round. Oh gun over chrono; R10 pells 10.9 / 11.0 ft/lbs for 30 shots.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting/useful. Great outcome too.