Thread: Whiscombe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    lovely guns i had a chance to buy one years ago i did not and always regret it

Ray, did you receive the strip article I sent you last week ?

Hi guys, many, many thanks for the input, drgs, instruction sheets. Also thanks for the reference to NUREQ; as it happens I didn't need to contact him, but will keep his name to hand.
    Finally got it sorted, with help of course, especially to Craig for the telephone conversation, whilst I tried to solve the problem, also to Dave Welham for his input too.
    Gladly nothing was broken. This was certainly a puzzler; after many tries and confusion, the instinct kicked in, and I started to mull things over from my conversations with Dave and Craig, and the diagrams I have.
    First confirmed oddity, I had a grubscrew where the front trigger guard screw should have been; due to lack of knowledge I wasn't aware of this screw. So that came out with no ill effect. The trigger mech was full of moly grease with ''bits'' in it, a pad of this had formed on the bottom of the safety and was blocking the let off.
    Degrease, dry, light lube; looks and sounds better; try; fires; SUCCESS!!!! next shot - - - nothing ???? Going back to instructions re set the trigger to ''default''.
    Oops the trigger adj screw fell out; too short???? Brainwave the grub screw in the wrong place is longer, swap; oooohhhh success; more success!!!!. then think, this too short screw! I hadn't got a screw in the trigger stop hole, fit this one yeahhhhh, works perfectly.
    So with lots of help, a little gut instinct and much trial and error - - - finally have it working. The owner is over the moon, I'm happy to have solved the problem, which happened so suddenly from shot to shot.
    Again many thanks guys, team effort, great result all round. Oh gun over chrono; R10 pells 10.9 / 11.0 ft/lbs for 30 shots.

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting/useful. Great outcome too.

Excellent news Ray. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Make sure you test it thoroughly at different ranges and targets over at least the next couple of months, to make sure that it is working nicely , before you return it to it's happy owner.

They are indeed lovely rifles.